Cataract surgery questions

Wanting some feedback please, from those that have had Cataract surgery done in Thailand, ideally in the past year.

1/ Did all go well, are you happy with the result?

2/ Cost per eye?

3/ Hospital and Ophthalmologist ?

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Yes and a slow to fire up ASEAN forum when they gonna fix it hey mods? my pet garden snail can out run it...

Jomitien hospital early this year, both eyes 45,000 each and not at the same time, happy to be able to see again, surgeon seemed like a nice guy, I dont go the route of many looking for references off doctors, my view is and never been wrong so far if the hospital employs him or her they would be at least competent, you need to be trusting....

No problems at all....

On 3/28/2024 at 9:21 PM, ravip said:

You might find some useful info here.

How does the surgery feel? my thoughts were it felt like being at the dentist and there grinding at the tooth but its your eye, I mean I dont know what they do but it felt like as you can see it all happening...hope im not scaring you as I have a weak belly too....that they where cutting something then the thing that seemed like a grinder came out to get what ever off....Does NOT hurt, but we cant help what goes through our minds...first eye was an experience, did not know what to expect and all was fine second eye 5 weeks later well..I knew what to expect and actually was a little more not so relaxed when that grinding started but hey it didnt hurt one bit the entire procedure takes 30 min...now that's not long to put up with being apprehensive, the nurses generally make it way more comfortable you know...

5 minutes ago, Njoku said:

Yes and a slow to fire up ASEAN forum when they gonna fix it hey mods? my pet garden snail can out run it...

Jomitien hospital early this year, both eyes 45,000 each and not at the same time, happy to be able to see again, surgeon seemed like a nice guy, I dont go the route of many looking for references off doctors, my view is and never been wrong so far if the hospital employs him or her they would be at least competent, you need to be trusting....

No problems at all....

Thai Army hospital at Warin, both eyes done a month apart, total cost the pair, 38,000bht........🤗

• Thanks 2

On 3/28/2024 at 8:16 PM, steevjee said:

Wanting some feedback please, from those that have had Cataract surgery done in Thailand, ideally in the past year.

1/ Did all go well, are you happy with the result?

2/ Cost per eye?

3/ Hospital and Ophthalmologist ?

cheers

Not for everyone but.....

If you are over 55 and wear glasses, you might consider tri focal lenses.

https://www.brightviewcenter.com/

Had both lenses replaced a year ago. 

I no longer need two pairs of glasses (different focal lengths).

A brief answer to your questions -

1 It went very well. Left eye day 1, right eye day 2. No pain easy peasy.

Very happy with the result. Thrown away the glasses and I can see the best that I can remember in my life.

I told the doc that the clinic should be called 'friggin' bright view

2 Expensive (but I felt worth it). 110,000 baht per eye.

There are other places that do it for less money but I did not find them until after the operation.

3 Bangkok Hospital Phuket - Dr Captain.

As I self insure,  and a long time Samui resident with a pink id card and a Bangkok Airways resident card, I asked for a discount. Doc laughed in my face. :angry:

A friend , who is a long time Phuket resident, had the same operation for half the price.

Final analysis - best money that I have spent to improve the quality of my life but look around for other hospitals that do it for less.

• Thumbs Up 1