Where to buy new golf shafts - test and buy

Does anyone know where I can take my newish Ping 425 woods and buy new upmarket shafts.  The wife and I both got a new set of Ping clubs in Aust before moving here. Hers are great, but I have always been struggling with the woods (3, 5, 7, 9). I used to have 3 and 5 Wood and then Hybrids, but I got the 7 and 9 wood hoping they would work better - they did a little bit, but still not good. I have been trying all sorts of things to make them work better - but nothing worked (for long).  Last week while playing I had a rare good thought and swapped over my wife's 3 wood shaft and put it on my 3 wood and hit a shot - boom boom. The shaft was too light and too flexible, but the ball flew high and straight well over 200 yards. I did it again from same spot with a slower swing and same result.  Clearly I am too old to play with the standard regular flex shafts that come with Pings - so I want to go and try a few upmarket shafts and buy now ones. I dont need new clubs - they are great - and the irons are perfect. I clearly need lighter more flexibale shafts.  There are plenty of places in Aust to do that - but I cannot find one in Thailand.  We are in Rayong, so if anyone knows a place around Rayong or Chonburi (Pattaya) that would be great. If it means going into Bangkok then so be it.  Thanks.           

Sounds like you just need senior flex, maybe no fitting required.

There's at least one shop on 3rd road Pattaya that does fitting, one on Sukhumvit and one that fits shafts, 2nd hand shop on Thepprasit, have a look on googlemaps for Pattaya they will come up.

7 and 9 woods should be really easy to hit

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like you just need senior flex, maybe no fitting required.

There's at least one shop on 3rd road Pattaya that does fitting, one on Sukhumvit and one that fits shafts, 2nd hand shop on Thepprasit, have a look on googlemaps for Pattaya they will come up.

7 and 9 woods should be really easy to hit

Thanks mate - much appreciated.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

There's at least one shop on 3rd road Pattaya that does fitting,

For the OPs reference if not familiar with Pattaya.

Half way between Klang and Nua - heading north after a set of lights and before the driving range. First shop with big golf ball outside is more used stuff but does have shafts. Next shop 100 meters further north is a new building and I think a Ping authorised dealer/fitter.

Sukhumvit - see topic below

• Like 1

2 hours ago, topt said:

For the OPs reference if not familiar with Pattaya.

Half way between Klang and Nua - heading north after a set of lights and before the driving range. First shop with big golf ball outside is more used stuff but does have shafts. Next shop 100 meters further north is a new building and I think a Ping authorised dealer/fitter.

Sukhumvit - see topic below

Cheers mate - much appreciated.

If you do find yourself in Bangkok, off Silom near the Sala Daeng BTS there's a whole building of golf shops where you can find shafts, grips, clubs, whatever.  It's been years since I was there, but I'm sure someone can chime in with the building name.  I wanna say it's Thaniya Plaza, but that may not be right.

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

If you do find yourself in Bangkok, off Silom near the Sala Daeng BTS there's a whole building of golf shops where you can find shafts, grips, clubs, whatever.  It's been years since I was there, but I'm sure someone can chime in with the building name.

Thana Plaza. Great place for all golf gear. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, impulse said:

If you do find yourself in Bangkok, off Silom near the Sala Daeng BTS there's a whole building of golf shops where you can find shafts, grips, clubs, whatever.  It's been years since I was there, but I'm sure someone can chime in with the building name.  I wanna say it's Thaniya Plaza, but that may not be right.

16 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Thana Plaza. Great place for all golf gear. 

We went there late last year - not what it used to be (if it ever was). There are lots of shops in the Mall (Thaniya Plaza), but they have no real 'expertise' in the sales staff and the prices in every shop were very high (cheaper at local Pro shop and driving range). At the Ping store they could not help us with anything related to clubs and clearly did not know the products - we did not ask about shafts back then, but they had none there anyway.  We spent a bit of time in the Plaza and did all 3 floors - the whole place was like a bad Thai retail shop full of disinterested staff who have no idea and high prices listed for everything (all the balls are cheaper in local stroes). I think it has been given its 'name' by all the online grifter-vloggers walking around and showing all the stores on Youtube etc. There were not a lot of people there and it was clear the staff were used to doing nothing much all day - anyone who paid for a franchise/shop in that place was ripped off.   

36 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

We went there late last year - not what it used to be (if it ever was).

Good info...   That's a shame because 10 years ago, it was a great place to find whatever you need under one roof.  It wasn't generally cheap, but one stop shopping beat slogging all over Bangkok to find that one item (for me, it was a set of grips for my 2000 baht 2nd hand Callaway lefties).  While I was there, I spent quite a bit of time perusing, coming from a family with 2 golf course superintendents as brothers.  Like you, I wasn't impressed with the staff but that's not hard to understand since I doubt many Thai's start golfing as kids like back home.

I wonder if Covid took the wind out of their sales?

Off topic, but on a related note...  Is Pantip computer mall back, and any good?  It went into the toilet when they renovated it, and I haven't been back since Covid.  I've done my tech shopping at Fortune Town and Chinatown because of easier access to the MRT.

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I wonder if Covid took the wind out of their sales?

Off topic, but on a related note...  Is Pantip computer mall back, and any good?  It went into the toilet when they renovated it, and I haven't been back since Covid.  I've done my tech shopping at Fortune Town and Chinatown because of easier access to the MRT.

I think Covid crashed a lot of Thai shops and stores. There are still a lot of empty places all over Thailand. We are in rayong and in the last year we have been all over Chonburi and up to Khon Kaen and over to Ubon - the economy is still not back and will take a lot longer than they think. 

No idea about Pantip as have not been there a while - it hopefully will/is get back to its former state.  

• Like 1

OP, do you want lightweight steels, or graphites?

It sounds to me like you need senior flex or soft regular graphites.

Bear in mind kick point also is a factor, I'd recommend getting only one shaft fitted until satisfied.

Matrix Ozik are probably the best shafts around, but expensive.

21 hours ago, Lacessit said:

OP, do you want lightweight steels, or graphites?

It sounds to me like you need senior flex or soft regular graphites.

Bear in mind kick point also is a factor, I'd recommend getting only one shaft fitted until satisfied.

Matrix Ozik are probably the best shafts around, but expensive.

Thanks Lacessit - I am after lightweight graphites.

I have senior flex Ping shafts now - but as with all Pings (I am told) they are at the stiffer/player end of the spectrum.

The 3 wood shaft weighs 65 grams and there is very little flex - I would like about 50-55 with more flex.

Will keep that in mind about Matrix Ozik - cheers.

Update/Report - nothing suitable was found.  Visited all the driving ranges and they had nothing like a 'fitting' service - and that included the Driving Range at Siam Country Club. In Chiang Mai at the old Stardome Golf Course (now called Pimantip Golf Course) there was a bunch of golf shops at the attached driving range and several of them sold after-market shafts - you could connect them to your club (Ping, Taylormade, etc.) and try them at the range. There was nothing like that (that we found over 2 days) in Pattaya/Chonburi.  All the golf shops, including the one with Ping sings outside, had nothing but sets of clubs for sale, They all had very few shafts in stock, most had no fittings, and you had to buy them on order to give them a try - and at 4000 to 8000 baht each my answer was no thanks. 

The only store that was 'good' was the new Ping store on 3rd road, just up from the shop with ping signs out front (which had SFA Ping clubs). It was all new Pings and they had sets of all ther new Ping clubs. They only had a few shaft options to try - but they are newly opened and will have more soon.  This new Ping store had a screen and trackman (very old one) to try clubs, but they only had one lightweight shaft (45gs) with a fitting toggle attached. I gave that a try but it's kickpoint was too high and it was not a lot better than my current soft regular shafts (which is all that Ping offered in the G425 clubs as the 'senior' option 2-3 years ago).

I looked up this new Ping store on google and google maps and they are not there from street view - and nothing was found on the google searches. They said they are new (and that was clearly true) and that they will have more stock as things go forward. I think I will return there and try any new shafts they get in for the G430 clubs.  Ping now offers 9 different stock options for shafts with the G430, including some very lightweight shafts with low kick points (for high launch).

Unlike in Australia where there are Pros in the shops on all the golf courses selling clubs, giving lessons and available to provide advice - all the golf clubs in Thailand (I have visited) do not have any Pros or anythign like that. Most golf courses have a basic shop with listed prices on balls, gloves etc. but none I have visited have what is available at every golf club in Australia (and rest of the world?).  I am sure you can buy what is in stock on the wall, or order what you want from them - but I am not impressed at all. But lets fact it, they dont play 'competitions' here under PGA/RAA rules like I did back home - it is all social golf and it is mainly for the tourists.

From what I have seen, the golf scene/industry in Thailand is amatuer and total khrapp - what Thais I have seen coaching other people at the ranges are absolutely useless. I was a National cricket coach and learned how to coach, and I taught the wife to play golf when she was in her late 40s and she is good - the Thai coaching I have seen is atrocious.  But there are many very good Thai Pro players in Thailand, especially the women - where are they getting coached and fitted?  Are they all the kids of Thais that own a golf course, like the Jutanagarn sisters?  Where are they getting their equipment from? I am just stunned - we wasted 2 days chasing windmills. Do I have to go back to Australia or maybe Japan or Korea? 

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Update/Report - nothing suitable was found.  Visited all the driving ranges and they had nothing like a 'fitting' service - and that included the Driving Range at Siam Country Club. In Chiang Mai at the old Stardome Golf Course (now called Pimantip Golf Course) there was a bunch of golf shops at the attached driving range and several of them sold after-market shafts - you could connect them to your club (Ping, Taylormade, etc.) and try them at the range. There was nothing like that (that we found over 2 days) in Pattaya/Chonburi.  All the golf shops, including the one with Ping sings outside, had nothing but sets of clubs for sale, They all had very few shafts in stock, most had no fittings, and you had to buy them on order to give them a try - and at 4000 to 8000 baht each my answer was no thanks. 

The only store that was 'good' was the new Ping store on 3rd road, just up from the shop with ping signs out front (which had SFA Ping clubs). It was all new Pings and they had sets of all ther new Ping clubs. They only had a few shaft options to try - but they are newly opened and will have more soon.  This new Ping store had a screen and trackman (very old one) to try clubs, but they only had one lightweight shaft (45gs) with a fitting toggle attached. I gave that a try but it's kickpoint was too high and it was not a lot better than my current soft regular shafts (which is all that Ping offered in the G425 clubs as the 'senior' option 2-3 years ago).

I looked up this new Ping store on google and google maps and they are not there from street view - and nothing was found on the google searches. They said they are new (and that was clearly true) and that they will have more stock as things go forward. I think I will return there and try any new shafts they get in for the G430 clubs.  Ping now offers 9 different stock options for shafts with the G430, including some very lightweight shafts with low kick points (for high launch).

Unlike in Australia where there are Pros in the shops on all the golf courses selling clubs, giving lessons and available to provide advice - all the golf clubs in Thailand (I have visited) do not have any Pros or anythign like that. Most golf courses have a basic shop with listed prices on balls, gloves etc. but none I have visited have what is available at every golf club in Australia (and rest of the world?).  I am sure you can buy what is in stock on the wall, or order what you want from them - but I am not impressed at all. But lets fact it, they dont play 'competitions' here under PGA/RAA rules like I did back home - it is all social golf and it is mainly for the tourists.

From what I have seen, the golf scene/industry in Thailand is amatuer and total khrapp - what Thais I have seen coaching other people at the ranges are absolutely useless. I was a National cricket coach and learned how to coach, and I taught the wife to play golf when she was in her late 40s and she is good - the Thai coaching I have seen is atrocious.  But there are many very good Thai Pro players in Thailand, especially the women - where are they getting coached and fitted?  Are they all the kids of Thais that own a golf course, like the Jutanagarn sisters?  Where are they getting their equipment from? I am just stunned - we wasted 2 days chasing windmills. Do I have to go back to Australia or maybe Japan or Korea? 

Sounds like it's more about trial and error then, have you tried the Japanese spec shafts? they are definitely softer than the usual farang, Taylormade, Callaway spec. Maybe go for second hand on Facebook marketplace or that Thepprasit shop, pot luck there, occasionally find something you want there. I have a mixed manufacturer set and it's perfect for me, collected over many years 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sounds like it's more about trial and error then, have you tried the Japanese spec shafts? they are definitely softer than the usual farang, Taylormade, Callaway spec. Maybe go for second hand on Facebook marketplace or that Thepprasit shop, pot luck there, occasionally find something you want there. I have a mixed manufacturer set and it's perfect for me, collected over many years 

Cheers - I asked about different spec shafts at the very few places that had some and the universal response was 'huh'. They are just like the sales girls in most Thai shops - they know SFA about the products they are selling.  I am sure the experts and coaches are somewhere in Thailand - like you said it will be just trial and error going forward - I might get lucky one day. 

• 2 months later...

Update.  I went to a Ping demo day at a driving range near the Siam Country Club. They had all the new Ping clubs and a bag of interchangeable shafts - and one of them was the Japanese spec'd shaft that @scubascuba3 suggested (Thanks Mate).  I tried my 3 wood with several of the lighter Ping standard shafts, and although better, they were not as good as I wanted or know I can hit.  So I (wife) asked the main guy about 'that' club in the bag, and he said it was from Japan and was not available here - but I tried it anyway - and boom boom. The ball went high and far - the 3 wood went 200+ yards (190 carry).   When I (wife) asked can I buy the new clubs with that shaft he said no - not an option in Thailand. So we asked him where to buy that shaft - he said 'no hab' but the wife convinced him to ask the others too. One younger Thai guy said we can order it through an approved Ping supplier - it will have to come from Japan so it will take a while - but he did not know where or which one (from Bangkok). 

So we went to that new Ping dealer I mentioned before on 3rd street - where @scubascuba3 said to go many months ago. Unbelievable but he had two of those shafts (3 and 5) in stock and he agreed to sell them to me, and we ordered the others - he said 6-8 weeks from Japan. I put those shafts on my 3/5 woods and although the grips aint the best - my 3 wood and 5 wood were great - we played at SCC (Old Course) as a 'payback' for the shafts - the wife absolutely loved it 🙂 and I shot 82 (social and preferred lies). 

The new Ping dealer is called Easy Golf and now has the shop fully set up (Titleist too) and has a lot of stock now - great friendly guy and girl and highly recommended (speak English too). Cannot paste the Google Maps link, but look up Easygolf 3rd road Pattaya - and they have a Facebook site too (also not able to paste in). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update on those shafts. The 7 and 9 wood shafts arrived last week and we played golf Thursday at Singha Park.  They are great and they are high and straight.  I hit a great shot with the 9 wood - 165 yards to the green - it went way high and landed right next to the pin - unfortunately it rolled just off the back - up and down for par - all good 😄

Thanks for that post about GSA Shafts @Luuk Chaai  I had contacted them and the nearest shaft they had to the Ping one was a Fujikara model (maybe the same one on the Pings) - but after fitting the Ping adapter and delivery, they were much more expensive than what the Ping ones cost - plus they might not have been the exact same model. 

The new Ping store on 3rd road is highly recommended and worth a visit - they have Titleist gear too plus balls and gloves etc etc.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/easygolf+Pattaya/@12.9439779,100.8857788,16z/data=!4m11!1m3!2m2!1sgolf!6e1!3m6!1s0x31029579809b3cb5:0xea48b5c4f8747fa8!8m2!3d12.9439778!4d100.8953056!15sCgRnb2xmWgYiBGdvbGaSARRvdXRkb29yX3Nwb3J0c19zdG9yZZoBI0NoWkRTVWhOTUc5blMwVkpRMEZuU1VOeU9YVXRaR0pSRUFF4AEA!16s%2Fg%2F11lcc_dqr2?hl=en&entry=ttu

https://www.facebook.com/PING.easygolf/

• Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...

100% thanks to contributions in this thread, my wife and I ventured ✈️ from Isaan down to Bangkok and explored Thaniya Road. I thought I would add updates to this great knowledge bank!

After much googling and reading reviews of different shops in the area, I targeted ’Art of Golf’ on the corner across from the mall entrance because they sell PXGs and do fittings… in spite of bad reviews regarding service! Well the internet is undefeated- don’t waste your time. He charges to hit balls!!! Almost surprised there wasn’t a cover charge at the door- he’s about the money- not service! Although I was thinking Gen6 PXG, the latest Gen7 peaked my interest and would arrive the next morning so we took his contact info with plans on returning the next day… solely based on local supply and demand of PXG- he’s got the goods. 

So we crossed the street to the shopping center- three floors of ️goods and services- pretty sure I heard the angels singing upon entry😆 As many have commented, 3 floors of equipment- well 2.2, don’t bother with the 3rd floor as it’s mostly empty but you can get to the parking garage if you’re driving. After window shopping the first floor where I spotted Vokey wedges and Ping putters in at least two stores, we headed up the escalator to floor 2 where over my left shoulder I caught site of a PXG logo on one of the stores, ’Eragon Golf’.

Warmly greeted in English by a younger looking Thai fella who later turned out to be the owner “Ott”- ERAGON GOLF! Remember the name if you’re looking for new, fitted clubs on any brand. I spent the rest of the afternoon getting *fitted* for PXG Gen7 clubs in stock that very day- hitting bay w/ all the skytrak data, lie measurements, the works! Afterward took 2 hours for the crew to complete my set which included midsize iron/hybrid grips and suggested Jumbomax (Dechambeau) grips on driver 5-wood (I have old fractures in both hands, large grips are comfortable for me). Grabbed lunch nearby and a coffee at Starbucks on the first floor while waiting. Oh don’t let me forget Ott’s interaction with other stores namely ‘Only Golf’ on the first floor- he walked me down and got me a small discount with the manager on three SM10 Vokey wedges. I went to the Ping store on my own to select a putter. He jumbo-gripped the wedges and Superstroke Flatso 3.0 grip on putter at my request.

Because we flew down I asked Ott to ship them up- he overnighted them free of charge! He doesn’t do much marketing, based on the foot traffic on that afternoon, he doesn’t need to!

Cheers!

https://www.google.com/search?client=mobilesearchapp&sca_esv=6d9548a4f6a46582&sca_upv=1&bih=765&biw=375&channel=iss&cs=1&hl=en&rlz=1MDAPLA_enUS818US818&v=331.0.665236494&sxsrf=ADLYWIIthc_kI4pzNOFQGe8NAF3uFNJpww%3A1725526010989&q=Eragon Golf Service&ludocid=15211527174716264577&ibp=gwp%3B0%2C7&gsas=1&lsig=AB86z5V59Hm-gyiu0Q0_i9mph8Da&shndl=-1&shem=lrnolc%2Clsde%2Cvslcea&source=sh%2Fx%2Floc%2Fact%2Fm4%2F3

https://maps.app.goo.gl/DcFRxDT56wK5f6au8?g_st=com.google.maps.preview.copy

• Like 2