Charge for Checked Luggage.

I am in the process of booking a flight with KLM to the UK. Do I read this right, is there an extra charge of almost 5000 Bt for checked Luggage? It says "available in the next steps", Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find these next steps, I cannot even find the weight allowance for this. Can anyone help?

8 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

It sure does Crossy I am at my wits end. I just don't know what to do.

If you go for a standard economy rather that the ultra-cheap version it "seems" to include one checked bag.

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

If you go for a standard economy rather that the ultra-cheap version it "seems" to include one checked bag.

That's what I did but now it tells me the full price and comes to a stop, it does not tell me how to pay.

35 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Might be wrong, but KLM recently introduced "carry on only" flight prices......I guess to try and lighten their loading......so this sounds right.....extra for checked luggage.

It's called marketing bro... lighten their loading lol. It's in a way shrink flation, the old average price but now without checked luggage. Guess it depends on ones holiday, I would just wear good jeans and a proper shirt and jacket, as that not counts as weight already, then in my carry-on luggage some extra jeans and nicer clothes.

Save the rest to go on a shopping spree, spend up to 5000 baht instead in Thailand for some shirts, shorts, swimming pants and underwear, flip flops. But yeah that is not helping reverse travelling.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just use Travel Supermarket and it will list the inclusive baggage for all individual carriers if you click through

Why people go direct to airlines I will never know. Invariably apart from anything else more expensive. When something goes wrong you have only a one pronged attack (yourself) whereas with agent you then have two pronged attack to sort it

Somehow this internet myth this last 25 years of always book direct with the airline for best service has somehow now become an internet fact instead

Utter bolla***

• Confused 5
  • Sad 3

53 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Your right Crossy "seems" to be the word, it looks like I will have to pay another £100 for my case.

34 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Time to go to the travel agent

Everything is fixed now, anyway the travel agents all closed down when the Chinese virus came. Have any of them opened up again?

• Confused 1

IF you check ,it might be like Maliaysa airlinesi they have 3 lots of pricing , no luggage ,carry on only, 20 kilo and 35 kilo , all comes up as proceed through the booking ,is also a little confusing when you first go into it . Regards Popa

This week flew to China on one of their airlines after booking the ticket on Orbitz.  I was meticulous about selecting a flight that included one free checked bag plus a carry on.    Still got hit up at the gate agent for just over 4000 baht for my one bag, claiming my ticket didn't include a bag.  I need to contact Orbitz to see whether that was true or not.  (My 12th flight to China this past year, and the first where I had to pay extra for a checked bag.)

In any case, the gate agent had no card swiping machine so I had to go to an ATM and withdraw cash.  Not a huge deal, but a PITA, and a cautionary tale.  Carry some local currency in case things don't go like you planned.  I had plenty of USD and RMB, but since I was on my way out of Thailand, I only had a couple of thousand baht cash.  Lesson learned.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

It sure does Crossy I am at my wits end. I just don't know what to do.

A few years ago I think it was BA that started selling tickets that were carry on only and everything else was paid  for at a premium. Since then the options on many airlines have mushroomed and many get caught out. It is better to book direct with an airline where the options are usually more obvious. Agents may not offer all that is available.

Back in 2015 I had a flight booked with BA that I had done through an agent.  Day before the flight I got email from  BA saying the flight was cancelled, I immediately booked another flight and claimed a refund. BA told me I would have to claim from the agent, the agent said I wasn't entitled to a refund as it was a reschedule and not a cancellation.

I took the pair of them to court, agent said they were going to contest the case but BA stepped in and settled out of court. I have never dealt with a flight ticket agent since.

My wife has done flights with Agoda and when there was a problem they said she had to deal with the airline, really ought to have gone to them in the first place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I have stopped using these supposedly cheap websites, as I am always disappointed with the results and sickened by the endless add-ons, that often they don't tell you about until it is too late. I use the airline website and I use reputable airlines like Emirates, JAL, ANA, Singapore. I find this cheaper and less hassle. 

I also don't wish to fly on airline I hate like (in order of hatred) United, BA, Thai, any European carrier, and 'local cheap flight. 

I am sick to death of getting ripped off by websites for hotels, flights, car hire and the rest. 

• Agree 1

On 3/30/2024 at 1:22 PM, ChaiyaTH said:

It's called marketing bro... lighten their loading lol. It's in a way shrink flation, the old average price but now without checked luggage. Guess it depends on ones holiday, I would just wear good jeans and a proper shirt and jacket, as that not counts as weight already, then in my carry-on luggage some extra jeans and nicer clothes.

Save the rest to go on a shopping spree, spend up to 5000 baht instead in Thailand for some shirts, shorts, swimming pants and underwear, flip flops. But yeah that is not helping reverse travelling.

I agree. That is exactly what I am going to do, the maximum size for a carry on case is 25x35x55. How fussy are the airlines about the size? I was measuring cases today and can't find that size, the nearest was 25x35x60. The rest were much smaller. Would I get away with an extra 5cm?

We very nearly got caught out in Europe this winter. 

Flying from Heathrow to Geneva the weight limit per-bag was 23 kgs... I paid for an extra 23 kgs (with airmiles) so I figured we had plenty of allowance. 

We'd flown from Thailand week earlier with an allowance of 30 kgs each (90 total) so I never really bothered about it the weight per-bag. 

It was only a couple of days before travel (from LHR) that I double checked and saw the 23 kg limit was very specific and per bag - we couldn't pool weight across bags (i.e. have one bag 30 kgs and another smaller bag at 16 kgs)....

...  so it it took a some real wizardry to spread the 'heavier stuff' across the 4 bags so they each weighed 23kgs (or very close) and when we got to check-in they were serious about the limit per-bag - luckily we were spot-on....

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/30/2024 at 6:50 AM, Will B Good said:

Might be wrong, but KLM recently introduced "carry on only" flight prices......I guess to try and lighten their loading......so this sounds right.....extra for checked luggage.

Will is right. Several European airlines, like KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian have introduced this. You book a ticket, but you’re only allowed one carry-on and you have to pay extra for checked luggage. It’s a real rip-off, because they charge like 50-60 euro (one way) for one suitcase.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rudi49jr said:

Will is right. Several European airlines, like KLM, Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian have introduced this. You book a ticket, but you’re only allowed one carry-on and you have to pay extra for checked luggage. It’s a real rip-off, because they charge like 50-60 euro (one way) for one suitcase.

They like to say "you are only paying for what you need" but you end up paying more than you would have before the improvements were put in place.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, bendejo said:

They like to say "you are only paying for what you need" but you end up paying more than you would have before the improvements were put in place.

Well, I got a different story to tell my wife and I flew to BKK end of last year with Malaysian Airlines and had been quoted 20kg per person plus carry on. When we got to check in, we been told no the 20 kg is for 2 persons and we ended up paying another 170$ on top of it. We did not won't to miss the flight so we paid 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I got a different story to tell my wife and I flew to BKK end of last year with Malaysian Airlines and had been quoted 20kg per person plus carry on. When we got to check in, we been told no the 20 kg is for 2 persons and we ended up paying another 170$ on top of it. We did not won't to miss the flight so we paid 

I took MAL from KL to Capetown to Buenos Aires (in 2010).  I thought the checked bagged allowance was 40kg.  At the airport I discovered that such baggage allowance was for the Capetown-BA part of the trip, while for KL-Capetown was 20kg, and the price for overweight was ridiculous.  The fellow at the check-in who explained this tried very hard to convince me to check my bags as they were RIGHT NOW, which made me suspect there was some incentive for himself.  I found a quiet corner and poured through my things, discarding nearly half my stuff (I think this was not unusual, there were a few airport maintenance staff hovering in the near distance waiting for me to go my way and get at the flotsam).  I know the value of the stuff I tossed was much less than the fee would have been. 

7 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I took MAL from KL to Capetown to Buenos Aires (in 2010).  I thought the checked bagged allowance was 40kg.  At the airport I discovered that such baggage allowance was for the Capetown-BA part of the trip, while for KL-Capetown was 20kg, and the price for overweight was ridiculous.  The fellow at the check-in who explained this tried very hard to convince me to check my bags as they were RIGHT NOW, which made me suspect there was some incentive for himself.  I found a quiet corner and poured through my things, discarding nearly half my stuff (I think this was not unusual, there were a few airport maintenance staff hovering in the near distance waiting for me to go my way and get at the flotsam).  I know the value of the stuff I tossed was much less than the fee would have been. 

checkin_bag.png 1x checked bag | 20kg

small_bag.png Small bag
Return   Bangkok to Perth
checkin_bag.png 1x checked bag | 20kg

small_bag.png Small bag
  • Like 1