Charge for Checked Luggage.

5 minutes ago, bendejo said:

I took MAL from KL to Capetown to Buenos Aires (in 2010).  I thought the checked bagged allowance was 40kg.  At the airport I discovered that such baggage allowance was for the Capetown-BA part of the trip, while for KL-Capetown was 20kg, and the price for overweight was ridiculous.  The fellow at the check-in who explained this tried very hard to convince me to check my bags as they were RIGHT NOW, which made me suspect there was some incentive for himself.  I found a quiet corner and poured through my things, discarding nearly half my stuff (I think this was not unusual, there were a few airport maintenance staff hovering in the near distance waiting for me to go my way and get at the flotsam).  I know the value of the stuff I tossed was much less than the fee would have been. 

the devil is in the detail. unfortunately, these days you have to concentrate and check, and check again, all details when booking long haul flights. the smoke and mirrors marketing and pricing of the short haul market has infected the long haul market.

53 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Well, I got a different story to tell my wife and I flew to BKK end of last year with Malaysian Airlines and had been quoted 20kg per person plus carry on. When we got to check in, we been told no the 20 kg is for 2 persons and we ended up paying another 170$ on top of it. We did not won't to miss the flight so we paid 

I was flying out of the Middle East...   Gold tier member... 

Had booked 1 local Leg in Eco (only two hours) and the onward leg to Bangkok (6 hr) with a business class upgrade using air-miles. 

Upon Airline check-in: I was told I'd have to 'pay to chose my leg room seat' (on the first leg eco flight).

I was also told had I have to pay US$xxx amount extra for the additional 10 kgs of luggage I had beyond the 'raw' ego allowance.

I got a little triggered and called BS... no way....  When we chose our seat online we have to pay there and then, or if we area  Gold Card Tier member, that choice is free as is additional baggage allowance - so I knew I owed nothing. 

There was a standoff until senior staff become involved - they couldn't work out how I'd used the Air-miles to upgrade, but couldn't see my tier status on there system... but their system was asking for seat payment.

Luckily the 'very slow' internet at that specific regional airport as just enough connectivity for my Airline Membership App to load up. 

Only then did they see my Tier status and commented that their system was down.

I was ok to go ahead as planned, no extra charges but feeling rather irritated at the jobs worths who couldn't sort that out themselves and instead placed the onus on me to have to prove myself 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Flying from Swampy to Glasgow, don't need checked luggage, only carry on. Anyone know if they will accept a small case 25x35x60 when their maximum size is 25x35x55?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NoshowJones said:

Flying from Swampy to Glasgow, don't need checked luggage, only carry on. Anyone know if they will accept a small case 25x35x60 when their maximum size is 25x35x55?

Take a crosshead and unscrew the wheels if they get arsey..  That should shave 5cm off..

On 3/30/2024 at 11:53 AM, NoshowJones said:

Booking.com  

ALWAYS book flights from the airline - if you need a change or have a dispute unless you book with them direct they will tell you to  politely go away and talk to the agency you booked it with - which means you will get ZILCH help

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, eyeman said:

Take a crosshead and unscrew the wheels if they get arsey..  That should shave 5cm off..

I have only been measuring the case and not the wheels, so I suppose that makes it worse.

On 3/30/2024 at 6:36 AM, Chivas said:

Just use Travel Supermarket and it will list the inclusive baggage for all individual carriers if you click through

Why people go direct to airlines I will never know. Invariably apart from anything else more expensive. When something goes wrong you have only a one pronged attack (yourself) whereas with agent you then have two pronged attack to sort it

Somehow this internet myth this last 25 years of always book direct with the airline for best service has somehow now become an internet fact instead

Utter bolla***

I'm responding to myself yet again bemused why 4 people are sad or confused

What is inaccurate or confusing within the screenshot !

You might argue about what I said but why sad or confused lol

I noticed the other day another poster mentioned there are people going around threads doing this out of spite ??  I have no idea

Screenshot 2024-04-03 at 08-05-52 Charge for Checked Luggage.png

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2024 at 12:33 PM, eyeman said:

Then screw the wheels back on before going through security where they'll take the screw driver off you !!...

As ridiculous as this sounds...  'some' airlines are getting so pathetic about these rules that I can imagine someone doing exactly as you have described. 

On 3/30/2024 at 11:24 AM, NoshowJones said:

I am in the process of booking a flight with KLM to the UK.

Why are you booking KLM. EVA Air are direct and competitive on price. You get 2 x 23kg hold luggage as standard plus a 7kg carry on, plus a personal bag.

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 11:24 AM, NoshowJones said:

I am in the process of booking a flight with KLM to the UK. Do I read this right, is there an extra charge of almost 5000 Bt for checked Luggage? It says "available in the next steps", Maybe I'm missing something, but I cannot find these next steps, I cannot even find the weight allowance for this. Can anyone help?

Not sure what class of travel you have booked but this is what the website says:

Economy Class allowance

The number of checked bags you can bring when travelling in Economy Class depends on multiple details, such as your destination and ticket type. Besides, you can always purchase extra bags, during or after booking. We always offer the following baggage allowance per ticket type.

• Light ticket: no checked baggage included.
  • Standard or Flex ticket: 1 item of checked baggage, up to 158 cm (length + width + height) including handles and wheels and with a maximum weight of 23 kg.

On some routes, you can bring 1 additional checked bag on top of the regular allowance. Make sure to calculate the exact number for your route.

• Thanks 1

The BIG advantage of using a UK Credit card (most countries have similar provisions) and booking direct with any company is that you are covered by section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act in the UK.  If you book through a 3rd party you are unlikely to be covered if you have a dispute.

In most circumstances, you are not protected under Section 75 when you make a transaction using a third party who does not actually supply the goods or services.

Section 75: What You Need To Know About The Consumer Credit Act | Lending Expert

35 minutes ago, jimn said:

Why are you booking KLM. EVA Air are direct and competitive on price. You get 2 x 23kg hold luggage as standard plus a 7kg carry on, plus a personal bag.

Because I am flying to Glasgow and EVA Air don't have arrangements  for that where KLM fly to Glasgow via Amsterdam.

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Not sure what class of travel you have booked but this is what the website says:

Economy Class allowance

The number of checked bags you can bring when travelling in Economy Class depends on multiple details, such as your destination and ticket type. Besides, you can always purchase extra bags, during or after booking. We always offer the following baggage allowance per ticket type.

• Light ticket: no checked baggage included.
  • Standard or Flex ticket: 1 item of checked baggage, up to 158 cm (length + width + height) including handles and wheels and with a maximum weight of 23 kg.

On some routes, you can bring 1 additional checked bag on top of the regular allowance. Make sure to calculate the exact number for your route.

I took the carry on instead of the checked bags because it suited me, I know they will weight it at check in, but do they also measure the carry on bag? Do they charge you extra if it is a couple of cms more than the 35x25x55? I have tried to get an answer to this but have been unsuccessful so far.

3 levels of fares when you book a KLM flight, Skyscanner and agents gives the cheapest one which is carry on luggage only. If you book through KLM direct there are usually 3 levels but some times the cheapest ones are not always available although BC always is.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, arick said:

Stop stressing out just fly a Chinese carrier to Amsterdam and then you get 50 kg

That sounds like good advice but I have already booked with KLM. But I would have to also book a flight from Amsterdam to Glasgow and they may not have the 50kg check in weight.

1 minute ago, NoshowJones said:

That sounds like good advice but I have already booked with KLM. But I would have to also book a flight from Amsterdam to Glasgow and they may not have the 50kg check in weight.

You will,  have flown from Newcastle KLM and BA, Amsterdam, Heathrow and you are allowed the check in baggage for the flight to Bangkok.

• Like 1

On 4/1/2024 at 12:46 PM, retarius said:

Honestly, I have stopped using these supposedly cheap websites, as I am always disappointed with the results and sickened by the endless add-ons, that often they don't tell you about until it is too late. I use the airline website and I use reputable airlines like Emirates, JAL, ANA, Singapore. I find this cheaper and less hassle. 

I also don't wish to fly on airline I hate like (in order of hatred) United, BA, Thai, any European carrier, and 'local cheap flight. 

I am sick to death of getting ripped off by websites for hotels, flights, car hire and the rest. 

Usually these days, it is almost impossible to book an hotel directly, they all use booking.com, or expedia. All others are sub-divisions of these two. I was even told at one hotel for which I wanted to add another night, to do it on the computer standing there in the foyer. Surely the hotel would have saved the 15 or 20% they have to pay the agents.

Talking about baggage, my son is today flying Dubai to Bahrain, Etihad airfare AED 409 one way including 25kg in the hold & 7kg hand. 10kg extra baggage AED 528!

1 minute ago, john donson said:

yes new scam, international flights, with only carry on... crazy...

I think coming soon meals will be optional on long haul flights, if you want one you will have to pay for it. 

On 4/2/2024 at 9:16 AM, NoshowJones said:

If they start questioning your case, ask them to physically check EVERY piece of hand luggage for EVERY passenger. I think you'll get away with it. Safe trip.

6 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If they start questioning your case, ask them to physically check EVERY piece of hand luggage for EVERY passenger. I think you'll get away with it. Safe trip.

Thanks. You are the only person to answer this.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

Thanks. You are the only person to answer this.

And only ONE piece per pax. Really pi55e5 me off when the overhead lockers are filled with boxes of doughnuts or similar.

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

And only ONE piece per pax. Really pi55e5 me off when the overhead lockers are filled with boxes of doughnuts or similar.

If I find that I will just removed them personally, but in a nice way. These overhead lockers are for luggage, not other personal items.

29 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I think coming soon meals will be optional on long haul flights, if you want one you will have to pay for it. 

already the case with airasia flights from KL or BKK to Sapporo.