PM Blasted For Saying Cannabis Policy Yielded Bad Results

webfact

1 hour ago, johnnybangkok said:

I think we all know where his and the Phea Thai's extreme views on drugs is coming from and it's not from any objective viewpoint.

'In February 2003, the Thai government, under then Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, launched a 'war on drugs', purportedly aimed at the suppression of drug trafficking and the prevention of drug use. In fact, a major outcome of this policy was arbitrary killings. In the first three months of the campaign there were some 2800 extrajudicial killing.'

https://www.hrw.org/news/2008/03/12/thailands-war-drugs

Ok. Remind us who asked him? 😀

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, curious297 said:

According to a recent report, 10 million locals now use cannabis However before it was legal there were probably like 999,9901 locals smoking weed. The way you are talking you make it sound like it’s new in Thailand but it’s not. Finally Thailand stopped with “the weed made me cut off my dick” or “Weed made me kill my (fill in family members name here)”. Considering no one person ever died from weed overdose ever, I think Thailand should concentrate on drugs that do the most danger like cigarettes, alcohol etc but they won’t as like everywhere in the world, we have corporate greed and we all pay (taxes) to play.  

How does a government tell you what you can’t in your body but then give you untested injections containing stuff you really shouldn’t put in your body than more people died from than taking weed? 

You're just pulling data out of your arse innit. It was estimated that prior to June 2022 about a million Thais were using it. So your guesses are grossly incorrect and usage has gone up 10X. The article stated:

Cannabis has soared in popularity among Thais since being removed from the narcotics list two years ago and launched into an almost unregulated market. Estimates suggest the number of cannabis users in Thailand has rocketed 10 times to about 10 million – around one in seven people – since it became the first country in Asia to decriminalize the herb.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-thailands-love-hate-relationship-with-legal-cannabis-coming-to-an-end/

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Do you Thai people really want the kind of tourists that come to Thailand because it's a cheap place to smoke weed? I don't think so. That's the point he was trying to make. It's probably helped to increase the tourist numbers but what are the character of those people? Personally I don't care for the backpacker hippy pot smokers and I know many Thai people agree with me.

It's not a cheap place to smoke weed. The weed is more expensive than I would pay in Australia for illegally grown weed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Spock said:

It's not a cheap place to smoke weed. The weed is more expensive than I would pay in Australia for illegally grown weed.

Yes, prices in the high-rent tourist district shops is way over the top. Double the price almost of most shops in the USA. But you can also get high quality stuff in Thailand from online vendors and shops located outside the city for a fraction of the cost. In general, it is very inexpensive in Thailand, while quality continues to increase and prices continue to fall every 4-6 months. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

23 minutes ago, ABCDBKK said:

You're just pulling data out of your arse innit. It was estimated that prior to June 2022 about a million Thais were using it. So your guesses are grossly incorrect and usage has gone up 10X. The article stated:

Cannabis has soared in popularity among Thais since being removed from the narcotics list two years ago and launched into an almost unregulated market. Estimates suggest the number of cannabis users in Thailand has rocketed 10 times to about 10 million – around one in seven people – since it became the first country in Asia to decriminalize the herb.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-thailands-love-hate-relationship-with-legal-cannabis-coming-to-an-end/

A lot of guessing and estimating going on, How was the number of people using cannabis before legalization arrived at ' did they knock on doors or just accost people in the street and ask them to answer truthfully regarding their use of cannabis,  bearing in mind the potential punishments for using cannabis , its a wonder anybody admitted to it.   would a similar survey regarding Pedo's or wife beaters also provide accurate results?  Of course not,       i don't think anybody has a clue how many people are or aren't using it.   They are just pulling statistics out of thin air

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Bday Prang said:

A lot of guessing and estimating going on, How was the number of people using cannabis before legalization arrived at ' did they knock on doors or just accost people in the street and ask them to answer truthfully regarding their use of cannabis,  bearing in mind the potential punishments for using cannabis , its a wonder anybody admitted to it.   would a similar survey regarding Pedo's or wife beaters also provide accurate results?  Of course not,       i don't think anybody has a clue how many people are or aren't using it.   They are just pulling statistics out of thin air

A lot of blind speculation in your post, but one must assume that there are a lot of middle class Bangkok Thais who were always curious about it, but weren't willing to take their chances trying to buy and consume something illegal. To them the risks probably outweighed the benefits. But as soon as it became legal, then they felt comfortable to jump in. So whatever the number was prior to June 2022, I can easily see there being a 10X increase once it entered the mainstream.

• Confused 2

5 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

The other day I saw this Evil Weed® just growing by the side of the road.

How many children were molested as a result?

How many people got into a fight in a drunken rage because of this plant?

How many people lay dead by the side of the road after failing to "negotiate a curve" after drinking too much?

WHY DOES NOBODY CARE ABOUT THIS HARMFUL EFFECTS OF THIS PLANT 

😀😃😄😁😆😅😂🤣😭

20240401_095709.jpg

I'll drink to that!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ABCDBKK said:

A lot of blind speculation in your post, but one must assume that there are a lot of middle class Bangkok Thais who were always curious about it, but weren't willing to take their chances trying to buy and consume something illegal. To them the risks probably outweighed the benefits. But as soon as it became legal, then they felt comfortable to jump in. So whatever the number was prior to June 2022, I can easily see there being a 10X increase once it entered the mainstream.

No shortage of speculation in your post either,    One thing I will concede is that the number of short term tourists smoking it has obviously increased dramatically, as they undoubtedly form the majority of customers in the over priced weed shops that have sprung up in the tourist areas.  The population of Bangkok is if I am not mistaken around 10 million, but how many of those are "middle class" I have no idea,  and how many of those middle class were just waiting for the legalisation before becoming full blown pot heads is even more difficult to ascertain but I can pretty much guarantee its nothing like 10 million   

Personally out here in the village in darkest Surin I have not seen any evidence of kids or youths or anybody else for that matter openly smoking weed in public or staggering round wacked out  of their heads. Any article claiming that 1 in 7 of the Thai population are regular cannabis users is in my opinion totally incorrect but if it is true then from what I have (not) seen they must all be doog it responsibly in the privacy of their own homes,  If that's the case then really , what is all the fuss about

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the responses here it sounds like your all Pot Heads. I won't argue if it should be legal or not but Marijuana is such a waste of your, time, your money and your life.  Reefer Madness.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SanSaiExPat said:

From the responses here it sounds like your all Pot Heads. I won't argue if it should be legal or not but Marijuana is such a waste of your, time, your money and your life.  Reefer Madness.

you probably a fat pisshead, who is wasting there time, you need a reality check d--kwad

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, crazykopite said:

Maybe you need to go breathe in the air in Chiangmai fora few days you won’t complain about the smell of weed and this is coming from a guy who doesn’t touch the stuff  I won’t go  down the alcohol route as it killed my son last year he was 45 the coroners report was seizure to chronic alcoholism 

Does Thailand really need more pot smoking hippy backpackers? Those people really annoy me, man. I don't need more reasons but them coming to Chiang Mai in increasing numbers is reason enough to get away from this city.

It makes no sense, Thai people aren't like that at all but the country has this reputation now for being a chilled out hippy hang out where you can smoke weed on the streets. 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, candide said:

Thai people agree with anyone who brings money and no, It's not only backpackers who smoke weed.

Thai people are probably more concerned with Yaba and other  chemical drugs, which are de facto widely available and are are destroying the life of many Thai people.

I think you're wrong about that. They now have the reputation for being a sex tourist capital and a pot smokers hang out. 90% of Thailand has 0 interaction with tourism yet this is all going on.

I'm not even saying make it illegal I'm just saying it sucks to have these backpackers living in a parallel universe and driving around the city with the rest of us. These kids have this fabricated idea of what Thailand is and they broadcast it to each other on social media then come here and act it out. It's like a colony almost. Has anyone seen Pai? They ruined the local culture beyond all recognization. Letting them smoke weed just adds to the problem.

You know what, here's a better idea. Only expats with a long term visa or Thai people can smoke pot. That would fix 99% of the problems.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

Could someone explain to me what the effect of cannabis is?  I know that alcohol makes be happily uninhibited, and then plain sick, while Tylenol removes most of my old age aches. No idea about cannabis. 

45 years ago, in the North, I had three puffs of an opium pipe with zero effect, but I am not a smoker. That was my drug addict career so far.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Could someone explain to me what the effect of cannabis is?  I know that alcohol makes be happily uninhibited, and then plain sick, while Tylenol removes most of my old age aches. No idea about cannabis. 

45 years ago, in the North, I had three puffs of an opium pipe with zero effect, but I am not a smoker. That was my drug addict career so far.

Long story. In short, one notable effect is that it amplifies what one feels.

For example, the pleasure of listening to music, watching a band play etc... is significantly improved

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

3 hours ago, candide said:

Long story. In short, one notable effect is that it amplifies what one feels.

For example, the pleasure of listening to music, watching a band play etc... is significantly improved

It also damages the aural (hearing) nerve. Hence the loud music usually coming from potheads houses.  Causes paranoia when smoked excessively. Often taken in conjunction with alcohol. There seems to be a strange assumption that people who take cannabis do not drink alcohol the 2 drugs are not mutually exclusive. 

• Confused 3

9 hours ago, candide said:

How often do you have to breathe that rubbish? You seem to be overstating it.

It only smells near cannabis shops so unless you stand near them you don't smell anything. And it's usually only in entertainment areas such as Soi BuaKhao or Nana.

People seldom smoke weed in bars. On the other hand , people smoking cigarettes, or worse narguile, are a true pain in the ass!

and,,,,    not everyone lives in a congested hustle bustle city living right on top of each other .  some people have chosen to be in a more relaxed and rural area where their business stays their business

remember the  WWII saying ..  same theory

The phrase "Smoke 'em if you got 'em" or "Smoke if you got 'em" is slang for "do what you want, if you have the means". The first phrase was popular in the United States military during World War II, meaning to take a break. Officers would say "Smoke 'em if you got 'em", allowing the soldiers to take a break and smoke their cigarettes,

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Spock said:

You have obviously zero expensive of weed. It's the kind of ignorant comment that only non users make.

Well, firstly I think you mean 'experience' - were you smoking when you wrote that? Secondly you are so, so wrong. I broadly support people being allowed to use cannabis but not if they are driving.

Its precisely because I have considerable experience of weed that I know that I, and everyone else I know are in no way fit to drive when they have consumed enough.  You seem to forget that a lot of people get so $hitfaced that they can't even walk let alone drive. Been there myself and no way would I get behind the wheel of a car.

People may think they are OK to drive when they've had a smoke - most drinkers think the same.

I don't know where you're coming from here but if you are saying that its fine to drive after using cannabis, that it just a ridiculous way of thinking.

Edited by MangoKorat
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1