PM Blasted For Saying Cannabis Policy Yielded Bad Results

webfact

4 hours ago, RobU said:

It also damages the aural (hearing) nerve. Hence the loud music usually coming from potheads houses.  Causes paranoia when smoked excessively. Often taken in conjunction with alcohol. There seems to be a strange assumption that people who take cannabis do not drink alcohol the 2 drugs are not mutually exclusive. 

If you are right I is criminal to legalise it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

If you are right I is criminal to legalise it.

Yes it is just as bad as alcohol which damages the liver and can increase aggressive traits. So combine the 2 and you have an aggressive paranoid with liver damage (characterised by yellow pigmentation of the skin) feels ill all the time, who gets very angry  and dangerously aggressive when neighbours ask him to turn the music down because he thinks it isn't loud and they are picking on him for nothing. 

Edited by RobU
  • Confused 3

21 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Presumably the effects have been negative. Wouldnt it be a good idea to list the bad that selling weed has achieved, with proof of course, for a change ...?

Absolutely

8 hours ago, Gknrd said:

I'll drink and take a big toke to that... PM?   Does that stand for Particulate Matter.

... nah, I think just an obviously widespread typo always missing a U at the end as actually it stands for:

Pretty Much Useless

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A few years ago there was a programme on UK TV regarding the harm or otherwise, that cannabis may cause.  Perhaps the most striking statement on that programme came from an A & E doctor who said that 90% of his 'customers' on Friday and Saturday nights had injuries caused in some way from drinking alcohol.  Those injuries came in many guises, from cuts and bruises incurred in alcohol induced fights to serious injuries following car crashes involving drunk drivers and women who'd been slapped around by a partner who couldn't take his drink.

The doctor stated that only a very small percentage of patients were attending A & E for a reason that could be attributed to using cannabis.

However, later in the programme there were discussions with various mental health practitioners who brought up the subject of the rising number of young people under their care who were suffering from mental problems, sometimes serious that they attributed directly to the fairly recent availability of very high THC strains of cannabis.

'When I was a lad' 😁, the usual stuff we'd smoke on a weekend was some fairly mild 'hash' (black morrocan) or for the more adventurous amongst us, 'skunk'.  In those days, certainly where I lived, 'skunk' was a term used to cover all types of cannbis bud (although I am aware that there are several strains that use the name).  The THC content of the hash I don't know but it varied (probably because its pretty easy to cut) but I'd guess it was around 15% at best.  The 'skunk' was around 20%.  I was a late starter but I'd guess that my mates probably started smoking weed around 18 years old. Today (and I know this for a fact), it is not uncommon for kids to start using weed as young as 12 or 13. It is not at all uncommon for well grown bud to contain over 30% THC these days.

The physcs on the programme were not at all simply anti-cannabis types, they were professional people who were dealing with rising numbers of young people, mostly in their early 20's that were suffering serious mental problems and had been smoking weed since their early teens.  They produced convincing evidence that showed that these 'new' high strength strains were the cause and illustrated how cannabis was harmful to developing brains.  The link between smoking weed and the above problems was clear and even  proponents of cannabis on the programme couldn't argue with it.  Some in fact, agreed and stated that measures needed to be explored as to how the use of cannabis by these young kids could be stopped.

All in all the programme gave a balanced view of the effects of smoking weed and showed both sides of the story.

Edited by MangoKorat

On 4/2/2024 at 1:16 AM, peter zwart said:

I dont care about this stuff and i dont care if its legal or not but i think that they should put more effort in the Jaba and alcohol problem in the country. That is where te serious problems are coming from.

Jaba the Hut is in the Kingdom?

Oh, I think you mean yaba?

As I'm growing older (I recently turned 36), I realize that the worst kind of people are those who have an opinion about everything and anything without really knowing what they're talking about. You know, those who always try to insert their opinion without anyone asking.

Politicians are exactly these kinds of people. They try to tell others how they should live, speak, breathe, etc. These are truly the worst kind of people.

Just look at COVID... they kept telling people to stay inside while, themselves, having parties with other people.

I honestly can't stand them at all. They're exploiting their own people and are the LAST kind of people you should trust. They truly couldn't care less about you.

I 100% would trust a made men in the mob before I trust a politician.

Edited by shocky2012
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Spock said:

I am saying that cannabis alone does not make driving a difficult task except for the true newbies to the drug. Drivers who do face difficulties tend to drive cautiously and slow, unlike those affected by alcohol who are careless and irresponsible. The danger probably occurs where the two are combined. But I don't believe negotiating a curve successfully would be a particular problem for a user. 

Far better not to have any at all if you're driving.

• Agree 1

On 4/5/2024 at 7:28 AM, Spock said:

I am saying that cannabis alone does not make driving a difficult task except for the true newbies to the drug. Drivers who do face difficulties tend to drive cautiously and slow, unlike those affected by alcohol who are careless and irresponsible. The danger probably occurs where the two are combined. But I don't believe negotiating a curve successfully would be a particular problem for a user. 

You sound like an old school user. What you need to understand is that kids these days are not happy unless they are totally off their heads.  You want them driving on the same roads as you and your family?

But in any case, do you really believe that someone who's not too far gone has the same reaction speed as a sober driver?  If you do, you should probably check out the evidence on that - because they are way slower.  Having a smoke?  Leave the car at home.

• Sad 1

On 4/7/2024 at 2:07 AM, MangoKorat said:

You sound like an old school user. What you need to understand is that kids these days are not happy unless they are totally off their heads.  You want them driving on the same roads as you and your family?

But in any case, do you really believe that someone who's not too far gone has the same reaction speed as a sober driver?  If you do, you should probably check out the evidence on that - because they are way slower.  Having a smoke?  Leave the car at home.

I actually agree that those drinking or using drugs should not be driving, so we have no argument there. I am not so sure that removing the weed or alcohol from the equation in order to solve it is the answer. Better policing and testing (drug as well as alcohol tests) and real penalties puts the onus on the driver to look after their own best interests and stay of the road.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/2/2024 at 3:19 PM, RichardColeman said:

Look I am 100% against cannabis - if only because Thais cannot currently handle alcohol , but if you want to smoke this smelly stuff half way up a mountain and away from the general public , you have my full support to go and buy it.

I think someone living next to you that drinks too much is not an issue, but i fail to see why i should have to breathe in this rubbish or have my washing smell of it. 

You against a plant?? Wow so cool dude, you must be fun at parties, typical

On 4/2/2024 at 5:47 PM, Spock said:

It's not a cheap place to smoke weed. The weed is more expensive than I would pay in Australia for illegally grown weed.

Exactly, I paid at least 10 folds and sometimes 40-80 folds tobacco price

• Like 1

On 4/2/2024 at 6:46 AM, NorthernRyland said:

Does Thailand really need more pot smoking hippy backpackers? Those people really annoy me, man. I don't need more reasons but them coming to Chiang Mai in increasing numbers is reason enough to get away from this city.

It makes no sense, Thai people aren't like that at all but the country has this reputation now for being a chilled out hippy hang out where you can smoke weed on the streets. 

As opposed to before when it had a reputation for being a chilled out hippy hang out?  🤔

Edited by shdmn
  • Agree 1