Washed UK Passport

Okay, I accept all the blame, all my fault.....I washed my trousers with my UK passport in them. Stupid I know! See pic

The passport is relatively okay with some curled corners but my Thai stamps are washed out! I have photo copies of my stamp pre wash.

I am on a one year retirement extension and have recently done my 90 day reporting so I am all to to date.

How do I get my passport re stamped prior to flying out?

Washed passport.pdf

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Go and have a chat with the immigration office, explain the situation and show them the pre washed photos. Hopefully they'll do the equivalent of transferring stamps from an old passport, but in this case a pre-washed passport to a freshly laundered one.

Thanks Stocky, I will go tomorrow

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Options:

IF your ID page is clearly visible you can get a replacement passport- that takes time.

OR… get an Emergency travel document (if planning on flying directly home). 

If the ink hasn’t run that badly & the ID page is fine, if you are flying direct to the UK from Thailand it’s possible you’ll get away with it (blame Songkran !)… risky though. 

If you are still here for a couple of months, safe option is a new passport. 

Thanks Richard, My picture ID page looks intact, so hopefully the bio metrics will be too! I will go to the immigration tomorrow to try and get my stamps re issued. I 'm sure that will be a challenge!!

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Get a new passport.

Worth trying immigration first if the passport looks ok, new passport is plan B.

• Thanks 1

It's the airlines you have got to be careful of these

days, they will refuse boarding for the slightest sign

of damage, which your passport will still carry even

with freshly-minted extension stamp.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sitesurf said:

Thanks Richard, My picture ID page looks intact, so hopefully the bio metrics will be too! I will go to the immigration tomorrow to try and get my stamps re issued. I 'm sure that will be a challenge!!

How long do you have before you are expected to travel out of Thailand... 

An Emergency Travel Document may well be your only solution because...

a) Your visa may expire before you can receive a renewed passport.

OR... IF you are holding an extension of stay etc... they could apply for a new passport. 

The key question is - What is your current 'permission to remain' in Thailand (i.e. what visa or extension are you on and when does it expire ?)

You'll need a new Passport, you may get a stamp ( or a letter ) in the new passport indicating 'this passport replaces a valid damaged passport", check with your Embassy, if you can keep the damaged bring both to Immigration for stamp transfers........ 

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The key question is - What is your current 'permission to remain' in Thailand (i.e. what visa or extension are you on and when does it expire ?)

Hi, Permission to stay until Jan 2025..... I was about to head back to Europe in 2 weeks!. Oh well, teaches me for being so stupid!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sitesurf said:

Hi, Permission to stay until Jan 2025..... I was about to head back to Europe in 2 weeks!. Oh well, teaches me for being so stupid!!

OK...  if I'm not mistaken, your options are:

1) Obtain an emergency travel document to return to the UK

2) Obtain a new Passport in the UK (Fast track service possible)

3) Obtain new Visa & Return to Thailand (you've lost your previous extensions)

OR... Do not travel....

4) Obtain replacement Passport in Thailand (can take up to 8 weeks)

5) Transfer extension of stay into new Passport

--------

I recall doing the same thing about 20 years ago.

I'd got in very late from travelling from overseas for work.

A few days later the maid knocked on my door, very sheepish look - soggy passport in hand (not her fault).

I called up the Embassy help line and was met with the response "Oh, why is it always the boys who do this?"... I then realised it was not uncommon and had my passport replaced within a few weeks (much quicker to replace a passport in those days).

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

A washed passport isn't OK.

Over simplified and dumbed down one liner... 

The issue is more complex than that - the key issue is the ID Page not being damaged (and its usually laminated so it isn't).

ID records are also held on the Immigration Database.... so as long as the Biometrics are readable and the ID page is identifiable, Immigration are capable of identifying the 'UK foreigner' upon departure.

As such, an emergency passport may not be required - but its still something I'd want in my back pocket anyway, just in case and if the Op lives in Bangkok already, a visit to the Embassy is easy enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sitesurf said:

If you've already got flights booked you might as well still go ahead with the trip IMHO and proceed in accordance with @richard_smith237's (1) to (3).

How you go about applying for an emergency travel document, as per his (1), is set out in the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/travel-urgently-from-abroad-without-uk-passport

And, as a variation to his (3), you might instead wish to consider returning to Thailand with a 30-day visa exemption and then converting this into a 90-day non-O visa for retirement at your local immigration office, as set out in the following link:

https://www.immigration.go.th/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/9.FOR-RETIREMENT-PURPOSES-50-YEARS-OLD-NON-O.pdf

Just beware, though, that, if you are minded to go down this alternative route, you will probably, when checking in for your return flight at LHR or wherever, be required to show proof of a confirmed flight booking out of Thailand within the following 30 days before you are permitted to board this flight. A cheap throwaway ticket for the likes of an Air Asia flight to a destination in an adjoining country (e.g. Kuala Lumpur) should do the trick here.

Edited by OJAS
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

A washed passport isn't OK.

The new British passport is pretty robust, the ID page is fully hard laminated, there was no harm in asking immigration.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OR... Do not travel....

4) Obtain replacement Passport in Thailand (can take up to 8 weeks)

5) Transfer extension of stay into new Passport

thanks Richard and others for your comments.

As Stocky states above, the ID pages are laminated and doesn't appear to be damaged like the other pages ie curled corners!!

I will not travel and will serve my 'punishment' for being stupid.

I am applying for a new passport and I have an appointment next week at VFS.

The next question, albeit I have time to find the answer, is how do I transfer my now non visible multi entry stamp and 'permission to stay' into my new passport (when i get it)?

Many Thanks

10 minutes ago, sitesurf said:

The next question, albeit I have time to find the answer, is how do I transfer my now non visible multi entry stamp and 'permission to stay' into my new passport (when i get it)?

First up you ain't stupid. These accidents occur all the time. 

I recently obtained new Au pp.

Realize you are UK. 

The process was 20 day from apply Bangkok to received new pp via post. 

Back to your question...when you have your new pp attend immigration with both pp.

Your stamp records will be on file and not be an issue.

My office (CW) Also wanted my bankbook photocopies to verify Financials.  

Screenshot_20240402_213358_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

First up you ain't stupid. These accidents occur all the time. 

I recently obtained new Au pp.

Realize you are UK. 

The process was 20 day from apply Bangkok to received new pp via post. 

Back to your question...when you have your new pp attend immigration with both pp.

Your stamp records will be on file and not be an issue.

My office (CW) Also wanted my bankbook photocopies to verify Financials.  

Thanks Dr Jack, your advice is much appreciated.

T

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/2/2024 at 12:11 PM, dick turpin said:

It's the airlines you have got to be careful of these

days, they will refuse boarding for the slightest sign

of damage, which your passport will still carry even

with freshly-minted extension stamp.

I had a washed US passport and laundered money while I was staying with a friend in the US. Maybe she didn't put too much soap, since the ink only ran a bit. The cash looked immaculate. I continued to use the passport for another 8 years with no complaints from airlines or immigrations.

• Haha 1

Just now, placnx said:

I had a washed US passport and laundered money while I was staying with a friend in the US. Maybe she didn't put too much soap, since the ink only ran a bit. The cash looked immaculate. I continued to use the passport for another 8 years with no complaints from airlines or immigrations.

Think they are more picky these days

On 4/2/2024 at 3:37 PM, richard_smith237 said:

The issue is more complex than that - the key issue is the ID Page not being damaged (and its usually laminated so it isn't).

ID records are also held on the Immigration Database.... so as long as the Biometrics are readable and the ID page is identifiable, Immigration are capable of identifying the 'UK foreigner' upon departure.

As such, an emergency passport may not be required - but its still something I'd want in my back pocket anyway, just in case and if the Op lives in Bangkok already, a visit to the Embassy is easy enough.

Fully agree with Richard Smith's post.

I had a somewhat similar experience with a damaged passport > almost half of the back-cover of my Belgian passport was eaten by our dog. But luckily the ID-page and all the stamps were still pristine.

I researched the matter and majority of sources indicated that travelling with a damaged passport to your home-country is allowed, but it's a definite no-no for travel to other countries. 

The only hick-up I faced was that I flew to Belgium with Emirates, and Thai border-immigration made an issue about that 'transit in another country' (where they didn't even check my passport by the way), but the Emirates staff helped me out on that one. 

On arrival in my home-country I applied for a new passport, and flew back to Thailand with both the damaged and new passport.  I needed the damaged passport as it contained my Re-Entry Permit to protect the Permission to stay date based on my Non Imm O Visa for reason of retirement. So on arrival in BKK the border Imm Officer stamped my new passport with the Permission to stay based on that Re-Entry Permit.  And 3 months later when I had to do my 90-day report (new passport so not possible to do it on-line) I did both my 90-day report and my local Imm Office transfered all the relevant information from my old passport to my new one.  

51 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I did both my 90-day report and my local Imm Office transfered all the relevant information from my old passport to my new one.

Out of interest did your immigration office require you to provide bankbook for proof of adhering to financial requirements. 

Ask as I did transfer of stamps to new pp few weeks back and CW required this. 

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Out of interest did your immigration office require you to provide bankbook for proof of adhering to financial requirements. 

Ask as I did transfer of stamps to new pp few weeks back and CW required this. 

No, my SiSaKet Imm Office did not require to check my bank pass-book, when some 90 days after I returned to Thailand I did my 90-day report, and provided both my original damaged passport as well as my new one for transferral of the relevant information from my damaged old passport to my new.  The 'stamp transfer' process took approx half an hour and the friendly and efficient Imm Officer was all the time checking and inputting data in their system and writing the relevant info manually in my new passport. No fee or payment was asked for conducting that lengthy process. 

• Thumbs Up 1