Thai government plans 7% VAT on imported goods from May

webfact

3 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Will they tax the full cost (inc. freight) or just the value of the goods.

7% value-added tax (VAT) on imported goods valued at 1 baht and above

So if something is valued at 1 Baht, how are you supposed to pay the tax, are they also going to introduce 1 Satang coins or will they round it up to the lowest value coin available (25 Satang), which would mean that you are paying 25%?

spacer.png

• Confused 2

The exemption was there because they did not foresee the scale and reach of importation that is now possible with the Chinese (Singaporean) apps, 

going back 10 years ago, ordering online means doing it through the computer, you'd need credit cards or bank accounts and be able to click through things in English, sure a few Farang and Hiso thais maybe able to get things off Amazon, the average Somchais have no idea how

but now there's cash on delivery and any grandma can order things on their phone....

and no they're not doing it through the post office like leaving the green card for you to pay at the office, they're asking for a cut from the apps, they know they won't be able to handle the volume otherwise, 

The Chinese found a loophole or lobbied for it in the first place, same with electric cars, they negotiated exemption for electric cars import where imports from other countries get 80% tax, decade back, battery electric vehicle in most people minds are probably gold carts... and now they're set to dominate the market 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I can understand that in a way, BUT as I have said before every time this story is regurgitated Thousands of goods that are made in China are simply not made in Thailand, especially some electrical items, from remotes to eclectic bikes and beyond. Plastic goods, bedroom slippers, dash cams, also UBS leads........etc. etc.

You can still buy them though, for a few baht more.

Lazada will shut down !!! But the chinese who are smarter will crash prices even more and offer their crap at even cheaper rates then now, incl. VAT. It's the supplier at the end of the food chain who will suffer a bit more or stop doing business with the ruthless online platforms and their crashed prices with free shipping.

Edited by Middle Aged Grouch
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Lazada will shut down !!!

Why? They are Chinese and Chinese sell on there for the most part, all official and big stores already pay VAT regardless too. It is just the small medium Thai sellers fked over.

Like I even sold on there for gadgets and wanted to officially import everything by the rules when we started, yeah impossible, there would be like 3-5% profit margins left. So then we found out, everyone pays per KG via trucks that go over land borders, and then there is some margin. I'm talking the cheap products.

But if you then now do the 7% VAT regardless, they will have like a red numbers at the bottom of the sheet. For my gf just making 15-20K a month this way, it was ideal without much other nonsense.

To conclude: this is once again a grab of the elite to control even more of the pie, aside from being foolish on political level and donating the rest to China.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Agree 2

Well in that case we will spend our money on other platforms then lazada or shopee and get it shipped via private delivery courriers tax free and free shipping all on COD of course.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

The percentage (in total value) of goods shipped to Thailand that are valued at over 1,500 baht must make up well over 99% of all shipping.....

The under 1,500 baht shipping is hardly worth the trouble......Sure the tax would add up to many millions of dollars.....But the cost and time of mucking around with 20 50 100 baht in taxes on packages would also be in the millions of dollars....

No one wins here...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

Will they tax the full cost (inc. freight) or just the value of the goods...

Generally, VAT is calculated on "landed cost", which is the total of:

CIF value (cost, insurance and freight)

+ Import duty, where applicable,

+ Exise tax, where applicable

3 hours ago, Puccini said:

Generally, VAT is calculated on "landed cost",

so if that’s the case - are there any Sherlock Holmes out their that can find any goods that will meet that criteria being landed cost of 1 THB? Would love to see that item. 

17 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It's silly to tax goods of small value because the cost and effort to do so is above the value gained. It probably costs 50-100 baht just to calculate and collect the tax, and far more if the tax is not prepaid. So for a 100b item, 7b is tax but costs 50b to collect, so the government loses 43b.

Why would it cost 50-100 baht? Just an added function to the customs computer system and an e-mail or sms to the person need to pay.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

“Cheap imports are usually ordered online, causing local sellers who cannot compete to shut down.”

We will not tolerate competition...

• Like 2

VAT and Customs Duty taxes may be controlled by Free Trade Agreements, eg., zero VAT. PM Thaksin has been actively negotiating many new FTA's to boost trade. So predicting the additional revenues from additional 7% VAT on imported goods maybe be complicated.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, cooked said:

But they reduced tax on imported alcohol didn't they? Not 100% sure I like this new government.

Well, yesterday i still pay the same high price for the wine.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Peterphuket said:

Well, yesterday i still pay the same high price for the wine.

Wow, Last time I bought a large bottle of Chilean Wine at Makro it was really cheap, compared to last year. Many smaller shops have old inventory that was purchased at the higher customs rate.

Chinese run all the business in

all these SE Asian countries and all have relatives back in China.

Retail tax has no effect on them, only the end buyer or little mom and pop shop guys.

38 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

Chinese run all the business in

all these SE Asian countries and all have relatives back in China.

Retail tax has no effect on them, only the end buyer or little mom and pop shop guys.

''Mom and Pop shop guys'' = SME in Thailand.

Hitting back at all the cheap Chinese goods flooding Thailand and being sold on lazada. Problem is they are not hitting at China, but at their own people. Thailand again has lost the plot. Well, at least their Chinese overlords will be unharmed 🙄

2 hours ago, rexpotter said:

Wow, Last time I bought a large bottle of Chilean Wine at Makro it was really cheap, compared to last year. Many smaller shops have old inventory that was purchased at the higher customs rate.

Well, i talk about the same Makro....different experience.

22 hours ago, Banana7 said:

It's silly to tax goods of small value because the cost and effort to do so is above the value gained. It probably costs 50-100 baht just to calculate and collect the tax, and far more if the tax is not prepaid. So for a 100b item, 7b is tax but costs 50b to collect, so the government loses 43b.

You are applying logic. I'll say no more.