Thai government plans 7% VAT on imported goods from May

webfact

I never understood why imported goods would have lower taxes than locally produced. With low value items the margins are usually razor thin so any percent of tax has an outsized impact on overall profitability. It made more sense to produce something outside Thailand and then ship it over than produce in Thailand. Who came up with that idea?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

I would say the Government is getting desperate ,they need cash from anywhere

to get money for the wallet scheme , it's going to make deliveries longer ,and who

is going to collect the tax ...

regards Worgeordie 

The post office collects the tax.

I received a note yesterday telling me that I have received a parcel and I need to pay 250 Baht tax and 240 Baht import duty at the main post office before I can get the goods

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, Banana7 said:

So for a 100b item, 7b is tax but costs 50b to collect, so the government loses 43b.

Where has the "B50-100 cost for collection of the VAT on each individual item" that you quote been detailed?  Perhaps on a governmental scale the cost would only be B1 in which case the government's "profit" would be substantial?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, cmike said:
3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I would say the Government is getting desperate ,they need cash from anywhere

to get money for the wallet scheme , it's going to make deliveries longer ,and who

is going to collect the tax ...

regards Worgeordie 

Expand  

The post office collects the tax.

...or the courier...or the Customs department.

2 hours ago, Bert got kinky said:

So if something is valued at 1 Baht, how are you supposed to pay the tax,

Who on earth is going to be importing goods valued at B1?  The reference to B1 was simply to explain that, currently, imports valued at less than B1500 (B1-1,500)  are duty-free.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, rexpotter said:

The concept sounds benevolent, but how will they really enforce this?

Just hold everything via post at Lak Si, require you to make a trip there that'll cost you maybe a 1000 baht, and have you pay your 70 baht tax. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Who on earth is going to be importing goods valued at B1?  The reference to B1 was simply to explain that, currently, imports valued at less than B1500 (B1-1,500)  are duty-free.  

It was a hypothetical question, is that beyond your understanding?

Just to explain that to you:

A hypothetical question is one based on supposition, not facts. They are typically used to elicit opinions and beliefs about imagined situations or conditions that don't exist.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

who believes it will enhance the competitiveness of local small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs). He noted that low-priced Chinese goods, sold on e-commerce platforms like Lazada, Shopee, and TikTok Shop, have flooded the Thai market, causing intense price competition and disadvantaging local SMEs.

I can understand that in a way, BUT as I have said before every time this story is regurgitated Thousands of goods that are made in China are simply not made in Thailand, especially some electrical items, from remotes to eclectic bikes and beyond. Plastic goods, bedroom slippers, dash cams, also UBS leads........etc. etc.