Introduction to Personal Income Tax in Thailand

Message added by CharlieH,

Notice to Members:

Posts made by individuals reflect their own opinions and should not be taken as fact.

Please draw your own conclusions and consult a qualified professional before acting on any such advice or content.

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Please pardon me if someone else has asked this question before, only I have been unwell and sometimes find it difficult to focus/concentrate, so have not been following this "personal income tax" thread very closely at all.

I checked my Bangkok Bank account, in which I have the 800 K invested for "retirement" purposes and noticed that tax has been deducted on the interest earned, so does that mean that somewhere in the system I have a TIN?? And if so, how to find it – – I suppose I could ask the bank??

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Unless you applied for and received a TIN, you almost certainly don't have one. Tax would have been deducted automatically by the bank. It's easy enough to get one so when you feel better, go down to the TRD office with your passport and tell them you need one to reclaim tax paid.

I hope you get better soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Unless you applied for and received a TIN, you almost certainly don't have one. Tax would have been deducted automatically by the bank. It's easy enough to get one so when you feel better, go down to the TRD office with your passport and tell them you need one to reclaim tax paid.

I hope you get better soon.

Many thanks for your speedy reply Chiang Mai, and I will do exactly what you suggest, very shortly.

I am slowly getting better, however the effects of the severe concussion do seem to "come and go" with regards to memory, and the fractured coccyx still gives me some pain unfortunately. 

Anyway I will locate the nearest TRD office and pay them a visit.

Once again thank you for your reply. 

On 4/21/2024 at 6:06 AM, Mike Lister said:

I will update the guide in a couple of places to reflect that we now understand that penalties can be levied for not filing a tax return, when the threshold has been exceeded but there is no tax to pay. Previously we had been told repeatedly that there was no penalty, we now know that there is a THB 2,000 fine but it is unclear whether it is actually levied. 

"the consequences of an individual tax resident not filing a PND90/91 tax return, if he/she has income over 120k but not enough to pay tax is that there is a fine of up to 2,000 baht for this under Section 35 of the RC.  Section 17 is the relevant section in the context of Section 35". 

In practise, I don't believe this change in our understanding will impact anyone this year but it is something that should be considered in January next year.

Current forms titled Income Tax  on Employment

On 9/7/2024 at 11:09 AM, xylophone said:

Anyway I will locate the nearest TRD office and pay them a visit.

Hopefully the following link will assist you in identifying the relevant area revenue office in your case:

https://www.rd.go.th/337.html

I would also strongly advise you to get a native Thai speaker to accompany you on your visit since, based on my experience of obtaining a TIN a few months ago, staff at TRD area revenue offices tend to have a minimal (at best) grasp of the English language. There is a highly complex and detailed form which needs to be completed exclusively in the Thai language as part of the process.

Edited by OJAS
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Hopefully the following link will assist you in identifying the relevant area revenue office in your case:

https://www.rd.go.th/337.html

I would also strongly advise you to get a native Thai speaker to accompany you on your visit since, based on my experience of obtaining a TIN a few months ago, staff at TRD area revenue offices tend to have a minimal (at best) grasp of the English language. There is a highly complex and detailed form which needs to be completed exclusively in the Thai language as part of the process.

Many thanks for this OJAS and also thanks to another poster, chiang mai, as you have both been very helpful.

As per your suggestion I will take along my Thai daughter, who is currently domiciled in Phuket town after finishing university, and I'm meeting up with her on Wednesday after going to hospital for another checkup, so a quick visit after the hospital, should be fairly easy (hopefully).

Also, do I need to take along some proof of where I am currently domiciled (address etc)? Sorry to ask but my memory now after the concussion is terrible.

Many thanks, Xylo

• Thumbs Up 1