Premium economy

Do you enjoy Premium economy vs Business class

I have found in some cases (Philippines airlines) there is not much difference between business class and premium economy, except of course no lounge access and different food menu 

Some airlines are de-bundling their business class fares, so that adds even more complexity to the choices.

It's basically up the individual and their perceived value for money - given the available choices.

I've only been in PE class once on a connecting flight when CX gave me a free upgrade thanks to QF status. Enjoyed the comfortable seats and better quality food on offer.

All of my business class bookings have been when I needed to burn some FF points and the only options available to me were Economy or Business. The points upgrade made good sense. But that might change with QF leasing 2 x A330s from AY on the SYD-BKK route for the next few years. Those planes have 21 x PE seats included in their configuration. My choice then will depend on where those tickets fit between the other 2 fare classes - and of course availability.

PE is an OK compromise.  No direct access to the aisle though, if you have a window seat you need to step over someone.  Some airlines PE have upgraded food. 

I like PE:

Eva

ANA

Cathay Pacific

Singapore 

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have found in some cases (Philippines airlines) there is not much difference between business class and premium economy, except of course no lounge access and different food menu 

Obviously when there's "not much difference" in price, you'd always choose business. What's your point?

Generally, however, premium economy is less than double the price of an economy seat, where as business class is often 3 or 4 times the cost of an economy seat. In which case, there's a much bigger decision to be made.

Edited by JayClay
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, JayClay said:

Obviously when there's "not much difference" in price, you'd always choose business. What's your point?

Generally, however, premium economy is less than double the price of an economy seat, where as business class is often 3 or 4 times the cost of an economy seat. In which case, there's a much bigger decision to be made.

Absolutely!

I have never flew Scoot or Jetstar but they do say their business class is similar to premium economy.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Personally, I agree.

But it seems many people are willing to be uncomfortable for some time and pay less.

I guess it's also a question of age. When I was young, I didn't mind a couple of hours in economy. Now, that is ok for an hour or two, but I wouldn't book a flight to Europe in a small seat with no legroom. 

Yes definitely

I flew Bangkok to Manila return last year in economy (aisle seat) 

I had a larger (Filipino) male sit in the middle , he looked like a large islander type guy hair in a bun.

He was very rude saying to me "excuse me ! He was double the size of me 

I don't enjoy that at all 

I gave him my meals and sweets and he was still very rude 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Smokin Joe said:

I also get upset when people say "Excuse me". But what really makes me angry is when they say "Please" or "Thank you".

Oh he didn't say please or thankyou he was extremely rude .

Sat in the middle seat ,put the arm rest up and practically pushed me out onto the aisle 

I had no choice but to obey because I didn't want problems going into Manila even gave him my meals which he took but didn't even talk back.

I guess he was angry at himself for being so large ?

But took it out on me , i held my temper 

Worse airline Philippines airlines, never again 

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes definitely

I had a larger (Filipino) male sit in the middle , he looked like a large islander type guy hair in a bun.

I personally enjoy when an inconsiderate prick in the seat in front of you has his seat fully reclined at meal times.......:wink:

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

as a frequent flier between Uk and Asia I rarely travel anything other than economy ...... generally a good bottle of Chablis just before off  and one of the( £50-£80) extra legroom seats are enough for a reasonable 11 hours ......  Having said that , as I have got older I regularly drop in to India on the way as a means of breaking the flight up and see that as far better value than  Biz or Prem Econ .    The last business class flight I have was overnight LHR to Delhi with a spoilt brat of a 4 year old kicking my row of seats from behind ...... traveling with his totally of of control mother !!! v

• Haha 1

My working life was spent flying around the world in Business or First Class. When I retired I was faced with the dilemma of a six fold price difference between economy class and business class (there was no Premium economy in theorise dark days.) 

I started using Premium Economy on BA, ANA and some other airlines. To be honest I was disappointed. I have for the past few years (as I have gotten older and want comfort when I travel) moved to pay for Business Class when I fly. When I add up the main benefits of Business Class for me they are flat bed where I can actually sleep, Fast Lanes, and lounges. Food, I don't care about and I don't drink either. Downsides of flying Business Class? Flying with the sort of person I was when I worked...an entitled, sound mouthed as$hole. Spend the extra cash. YOLO. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, JayClay said:
5 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The point is that he didn't mention price. You did, not him. What you failed to understand was that he was talking about what is on offer when comparing the two.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:
1 hour ago, CANSIAM said:

I personally enjoy when an inconsiderate prick in the seat in front of you has his seat fully reclined at meal times.......:wink:

Ahhh yes !

I'm sure we all experienced this ! 

A responsible crew member would ask the passenger in front to bring their seat up. Emirates do that, in my experience.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Premium economy, where you pay extra for the basic facilities that should be included with any ticket.

As a tall lad i disagree with that. In economy I'm so cramped, knees touching the seat in front, arms touching those in the neighbouring seats, it's a very uncomfortable time so I choose Premium Economy for comfort.

I once booked Premium Economy on an Air France flight to Africa. Never again! For some reason the seat was more uncomfortable to sleep in than a commmon economy seat. It was shaped so as to make any sleeping posture impossible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I was forced to fly a lot for work at one time.Those who chose to fully recline their seats in front of me (economy) were treated to an "accidental" jolt every time I had to get up.

I finally wised up and had my employer upgrade me to BC at my expense. No more econo flights for me unless only a few hours.

Even in retirement the trip from BKK>Toronto is 24 hours door to door I paid the extra for BC with EVA. However those trips are no longer on my agenda.

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

A responsible crew member would ask the passenger in front to bring their seat up. Emirates do that, in my experience.

Every Airline I've been on does that....  (asks the passenger to put their seat upright at meal times).

There's also nothing wrong with putting the seat back (in eco) either, its their right to be able to put their seat back...  just so long as the person in front is courteous about it and indicates that they are are about to do so (basic manners thats all).

32 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

I was forced to fly a lot for work at one time.Those who chose to fully recline their seats in front of me (economy) were treated to an "accidental" jolt every time I had to get up.

Thats one way to out-yourself of the forum (and on flights) as a grade A1 ayhole...   

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

The Premium Eco varies between airline and even individual Aircraft.

IMO for the most part its similar - Premium eco may have an inch more leg room and you will be seated in and around frequent flyers who in theory, know how to react more considerately (apart from  Jaideedave above, who clearly isn't very jaidee at all !!).

Some airlines have their Premium Eco on a 4 tier flight... 

With First, buisness, Eco Comfort+ and Eco... (i.e. Qatar who've borrowed those flights from Cathay)... those are the best Premium Eco seats I've been on.

As another poster mentioned - stopping off makes the flight easier... especially when flying with family.

Morning flight, BKK to Dubai, an ~18 hour lay over in Dubai (emirates), allows us to be in the pool just after lunch, having and early dinner, then bed and up again for an easy 6 hr onward flight.... hassle stress free, baggage all the way though to final destination (UK). from BKK.

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

A flight to Manila is only 3 1/2 hours from Bangkok so you will not see much difference in BC to PE but on long-haul flights the difference is considerable - BC lounge before travelling, priority boarding, flat bed seats (the most important), much better food (served when you want it, not when they want to serve it), limitless drinks and snacks etc. You even get a pair of pajamas and a 'comfort kit' with most airlines.

I would never travel on a flight that is more than 6 hours other than in BC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Every Airline I've been on does that....  (asks the passenger to put their seat upright at meal times).

There's also nothing wrong with putting the seat back (in eco) either, its their right to be able to put their seat back...  just so long as the person in front is courteous about it and indicates that they are are about to do so (basic manners thats all).

Thats one way to out-yourself of the forum (and on flights) as a grade A1 ayhole...   

Seats back at meal times = zero manners......

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Seats back at meal times = zero manners......

Agreed.....    at meal service time my seat usually goes upright before...  But its not uncommon to have to ask the Flight Attendant to ask the person in front. 

I had a cracker on a flight a while ago. 

Woman with her older mother sat in our seats.... (Wife Son and I - 3 seats in a row...  in a 3-4-3 Economy configuration).

The woman wouldn't move...  She said that their seats were separate and that she needed to sit next to her mother, we could take seats allocation instread (and one of us sit in the 3rd seat). 

I asked why she felt she was more important than my son...Should a child now sit on their own because she failed to book seats next to her mother?... Find another row of seats was her response !!!... 

Flight attendant sorted it out and told the lady and her Mother to move.... But wow... It was like I was ayhole of the century with the dirty looks, scoffing and commnets under her breath that I was getting...  

Some people just don't know how to fly......    the guy commenting that he'll occasionally deliberately hit the seat in front is one of those types of people, ignorant and just don't know how to fly. 

Thankfully - my flights are BKK - Muddle East - Europe and the vast majority of people seem to fly well..... 

5 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

I tend to choose airlines that have fixed shell type of seats that way when the inconsiderate prick in front reclines they only reclining in their seat space

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I tend to choose airlines that have fixed shell type of seats that way when the inconsiderate prick in front reclines they only reclining in their seat space

Spend a little more money PE-BC and keep the blood pressure at ease......... 

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed.....    at meal service time my seat usually goes upright before...  But its not uncommon to have to ask the Flight Attendant to ask the person in front. 

I had a cracker on a flight a while ago. 

Woman with her older mother sat in our seats.... (Wife Son and I - 3 seats in a row...  in a 3-4-3 Economy configuration).

The woman wouldn't move...  She said that their seats were separate and that she needed to sit next to her mother, we could take seats allocation instread (and one of us sit in the 3rd seat). 

I asked why she felt she was more important than my son...Should a child now sit on their own because she failed to book seats next to her mother?... Find another row of seats was her response !!!... 

Flight attendant sorted it out and told the lady and her Mother to move.... But wow... It was like I was ayhole of the century with the dirty looks, scoffing and commnets under her breath that I was getting...  

Some people just don't know how to fly......    the guy commenting that he'll occasionally deliberately hit the seat in front is one of those types of people, ignorant and just don't know how to fly. 

Thankfully - my flights are BKK - Muddle East - Europe and the vast majority of people seem to fly well..... 

Willing to bet Aeroflot is reclined at all times and you are on your own........😉

6 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes definitely

Why reward bad behavior?