Phuket hotel evicts foreigner who threatened taxi driver with knives

webfact

17 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:
30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's odd how some posters on a discussion forum do not approve of factual responses and then describe them, illogically, as "arguments".  She did not attempt to murder anyone, she didn't even assault the driver.

It's also odd how some posters NEVER have anything to add apart from pedantry.

It's also odd how some posters class a rational presentation of facts, debunking a clearly exaggerated and inaccurate claim, as pedantry.  Are you suggesting that by posting a bunch of bananas you have "added" anything more worthy to this thread?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, scorecard said:

you cannot apply laws from another country

Yes, I agree with you. But doesn't Thailand have a similar law for "Murder Threat"?

Most of the lawyers in Thailand seem to be a part of local mafia, especially in Phuket and Pattaya.

Edited by Hakuna Matata

37 minutes ago, roo860 said:

What does that mean in english? 'Even the dog wouldn't '?

There is a guy who invented Google Translate so that you know what could potentially be said about a Ukrainian-Portuguese national's misbehavior!

Even better: you don't even need to know that it is Portuguese language; Google Translate guesses it for you!

7 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Yes, I don't like it. Stricter visa rules are necessary for everyone who wants to enter Thailand. But obviously, PM wants to open the doors for all criminals and fugitives from all over the world! How sad.

I think you are overreacting, you and a few others on here  have been taken in by the media frenzy. The Thai mainstream and social media are in overdrive at the moment, This site is just as bad in fact its probably the worst of the lot.  The outrage of those elderly "netizens" who rely on this as their only source of information is somewhat understandable but its only adding fuel to the fire.  the endless screaming for deportation and black listing for every transgression no matter how trivial by a few on here is evidence enough of how easily people can be manipulated, as if the recent frenzy over covid 19 hadn't already demonstrated that. There was no shortage of lynch mob members turning on each other then either. 

In reality any increase in "misbehavior" is actually minute in the great scheme of things, but amplified 100 times or more by the media coverage.   Good for clicks though so don't expect it to end  on this site anytime soon

But actually  it all pales into total   insignificance if you are capable of watching and understanding thai dally Thai TV news

27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From the OP...

"The driver then reported the matter to Chalong police, who arrested the foreign woman and charged her. However, according to the report, following her release from court..."

From memory she got a 500b fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Correct. She only threatened to kill another person. This constitutes a "Murder Threat" criminal offence. What Section is that? I just forgot. 😮

See if you can find the section offenses against taxi drivers in the Thai criminal code

https://www.thailandlawonline.com/table-of-contents/criminal-law-translation-thailand-penal-code

9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's also odd how some posters class a rational presentation of facts, debunking a clearly exaggerated and inaccurate claim, as pedantry.  Are you suggesting that you have "added" anything more worthy to this thread?

More worthy than your constant barrage of pedantic remarks?

Ever wonder why no one actually likes you?

Grow up Lou, you'll make a fine grammar Nazi one day.

Edited by Bert got kinky
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The court, obviously, didn't agree with your sentiment.

I think the Thai courts are to be praised for retaining a level headed sense of perspective in these highly publicised cases,  

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Yes, I agree with you. But doesn't Thailand have a similar law for "Murder Threat"?

Thailand Criminal Code will tell you, but the answer in this case is that she threatened the driver, a misdemeanor, she did not threaten to, or attempt to, murder the driver, had she done so, the court would not have released her.

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
27 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

From the OP...

"The driver then reported the matter to Chalong police, who arrested the foreign woman and charged her. However, according to the report, following her release from court..."

Expand  

From memory she got a 500b fine.

My point was that she was arrested and charged, you claimed that she wasn't.

1 minute ago, Hakuna Matata said:

Yes, I like to watch Thai PBS TV channel. In my opinion, it's one of the best TV channels in Thailand. What do you think?

I prefer Amarinn personally ,  I some times watch the news on channel 8 as one of the Amarin "anchor men" has moved there

Why has this woman not been given the help she needs? She is clearly suffering from mental illness and needs treatment. Why is her naked picture being plastered all over news outlets to be ridiculed. A situation like this says a lot about society . Imagine if that was your mother, daughter, sister, girlfriend or wife. Shame on the police, immigration, the embassy, the media, bystanders and those who make fun on forums. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Bert got kinky said:
23 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It's also odd how some posters class a rational presentation of facts, debunking a clearly exaggerated and inaccurate claim, as pedantry.  Are you suggesting that you have "added" anything more worthy to this thread?

More worthy than your constant barrage of pedantic remarks?

Ever wonder why no one actually likes you?

Grow up Lou, you'll make a fine grammar Nazi one day.

I've posted facts here, not pedantry, if you don't agree, please quote the specific "pedantry" but bear in mind that debunking glaringly false claims of "attempted murder" is not pedantry.   

"Ever wonder why no one actually likes you?"

No, I have not but whether you, or any other members of your gang, like me or not is both highly debatable and, more importantly, completely inconsequential.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

A post using a foreign language and the replies contravening our Forum Rules have been removed:

3. English is the only permitted language anywhere on ASEAN NOW, except within the Thai language forum, where using Thai is allowed. Short Thai translations of technical terms are permitted in specialty forums. While we make allowances for members who do not speak English as their first language, we expect everyone to make an effort to post in a manner that allows others to understand their posts. As an international forum we have members from many countries in the world, and English is not the first language of every poster.

Off topic posts and replies have also been removed.

• Thanks 1

Now on the street to wreck more havoc... why hotels do this without police taking the necessary actions (arrest and deportation) is indicative of the larger issue of lax/lazy law enforcement

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Phuket, again. Foreigner, again. There really must be something in the air down there. There's been so many reports of foreigners going bonkers on Phuket!

Do you mean 'bonking' in Phuket?

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

I've posted facts here, not pedantry, if you don't agree, please quote the specific "pedantry" but bear in mind that debunking glaringly false claims of "attempted murder" is not pedantry.   

"Ever wonder why no one actually likes you?"

No, I have not but whether you, or any other members of your gang, "like" me is both highly debatable and completely inconsequential.

It is highly debatable whether I like you, how is it debatable?

Also, as you believe that you know the answer to everything, please tell me about my 'gang'.

How many members?

Can you name one other member or are you just making this up to match your narrative?

10 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Why has this woman not been given the help she needs? She is clearly suffering from mental illness and needs treatment. Why is her naked picture being plastered all over news outlets to be ridiculed. A situation like this says a lot about society . Imagine if that was your mother, daughter, sister, girlfriend or wife. Shame on the police, immigration, the embassy, the media, bystanders and those who make fun on forums. 

I agree.

Normally, I tend to ridicule bad behavior, but in her case, I think there's more showing mental illness than cultural bad behavior.

Phuket hotel evicts foreigner who threatened taxi driver with knives

4 hours ago, webfact said:

A Ukrainian-Portuguese woman who threatened a Phuket taxi driver while holding knives behind her back

🤔

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

I agree she definitely needs help.  But I haven't seen her naked picture being plastered anywhere. 

There is a photo of her lying on a couch that has her pants blurred out but definitely no nudity. 

Why did she come to Thailand and how?  I would have at least expected the authorities to contact her embassy or consulate. 

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Holding a knife and not harming anyone could never be called attempted murder.

I wouldn't say it would "never" be called attempted murder but the starting point would certainly be "threatening behaviour".

• Like 1

And when I was getting a yearly extension of stay in KK. I questioned a young Thai immigration officer about what she was wanting . She proceeded to follow me out of the office screaming and threatening me. Said I was going to jail and would be deported.  Friend of mine's wife passed away from a heart attack. The in-laws trashed his house and pickup and threatened him to get out of his house so they could take over. Wonder why that did not make the news... 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

Phuket, again. Foreigner, again. There really must be something in the air down there. There's been so many reports of foreigners going bonkers on Phuket!

It’s always been going on, just it’s flavor of the month to highlight it at the moment.

Plenty of crap going on with Thai people as well, but foreigners behaving badly is what’s generating click atm.

might change in a while in terms of reporting, will continue in terms of reality

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

It is the water