Move from Laos to Philippines for retirement?

I'm very happy living in north Laos.  But there are 2 important issues:

- I have 'weak lungs' and the annual burning season here is not enjoyable - I'm coughing up litres of sticky phlegm and my nose runs like a very leaky tap!  Face-masks help, as do some medications, but my health outcome in the long-term is probably not rosy if I continue to live with such polluted air.

- Next year my UK pension will start, but since I live in Laos, this will be frozen, and this could become a financial issue for me in later years.

This is why I am considering making a permanent move to somewhere in The Philippines before my UK pension starts.  This would avoid administration issues with the UK pensions office, should I move from Laos to The Philippines after my pension starts. (Of course, PI does not freeze UK pensions).

Really, it's my own health issues that concern me, and the AQI numbers for PI seem to be way lower than Laos or north Thailand.  (South Thailand has cleaner air, but I do not have 800,000 baht for a retirement visa and I do not trust to 'fiddle' this visa by using an agent).

Would PI be a sensible option?  Here are my requirements:

- low risk of major earthquakes (my knowledge of tectonic plates suggests that the west side of PI is not prone to major earthquakes, since the plate boundaries are on the east side).
- low risk of major typhoons (again, my knowledge of cyclones suggests that the west side has calmer weather)

I would want to live in a safe rural/semi-rural location, renting a house and garden (not a condo), perhaps near a beach.

I do not need the company of other Westerners, nor nightlife, nor the fair sex, (meaning I don't want to live in the equivalent of Pattaya).

I'm good at learning languages, so an English-speaking environment is not required.

Can someone with knowledge of The Philippines suggest some small towns to visit?  I need to get my skates on if I want to move before June 25 (my retirement date).  Thanks!

I've been to Manila once but never visited other locations within PI.

Many years ago, I contemplated moving and retiring to Timor-Leste due to my girlfriend at that time.

You may wish to add this to your list for detailed investigation you wish to relocate https://retireasia.com/east-and-west-timor/. There are other locations you may wish to consider such as the Islands in the Western and South Pacific which were my stomping grounds for more than two decades. I hope you find a suitable country to retire. Good luck.

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

Tagaytay. Can be expensive though. Easy to manila where there's the best pi hospitals and the airport. And elevated so it's cooler.

Tagaytay's proximity to Manila makes it a nightmare for getting anywhere: most days, every weekend and all during the holiday period Tagaytay is gridlocked. I was there yesterday to pick up our new puppy (a great animal sanctuary, Biyaya, there if anyone is looking for a new dog from a good, reputable source) and getting back to Manila took close to 3 hours. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Siqoul , DUAMAGETTE.Valencia 

We took a short trip to Dumaguette last week - my first time there but it definitely won't be our last; the island was stunning, the people friendly, Dumaguette city pretty developed and in good condition. I think I could easily live there. 

To add to this - the level of English across the Philippines is impressively good, especially with those under around 40. 

Edited by RuamRudy
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Yes !

Duamagette has a lot of drama with expats fighting 

I must admit, I did see a lot of expats who would not have looked out of place in Makati Avenue so I guess there is a feral side to it too. 

But it sounds like @simon43 is similar to myself in not chasing the nightlife so I think these aspects would be easy enough to avoid. 

Another thing I liked about it (the Scotsman showing in me) was the prices - for example we had lunch in Fibber Magee's in Dumaguette City, a good, nicely decorated Irish pub in Dumaguette City with excellent service. I had a excellent plate of fish and chips, a generous portion and freshly prepared, for the equivalent of 290 baht - and it came with 2 free bottles of ice cold San Miguel beer. 

• Confused 1

@simon43 You should take your time the first couple of months and make an extensive holiday. I will do the same soon and have added places where I want to stay at least a month each.

Angeles City: Because of the Walking Street it has a expat crowd and also many restaurants as it's focusing on tourists. The city is a dump though from what I gathered.

Baguio: The north seems to have colder weather. Can't say much about it but the city is a dump as well. Need to check it out anyway.

Boracay: Seems to be very touristic (probably some light version of Phuket while replacing the Russians with Koreans) but also has off-seasons where it seems to empty. I would guess, very good air and the place has many restaurants and so.

Duamagette: I have to stay there a bit to check out if this would be the place to connect to other expats. It's also on the Island 'Negros' which seem to have beautiful daughters.

Siargao: Going to kite surfing in late 2024. It's definitely worthy a visit but they have big issues with tsunamis.

I can also recommend getting Elon's Starlink as it's basically 24/7 perfect Internet even at remote places (yes, you can travel with it).

Edited by AreYouGerman
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

and it came with 2 free bottles of ice cold San Miguel beer. 

You say that as if it's a plus. San Miguel beer, especially the light variety, is horrid. There was a Manila light that was actually pretty good last time I was there. It was hard to find. I guess San Miguel marketing has locked up the market through payoffs, etc.  The payoffs have expanded to Thailand where you cannot get the palatable tiger light and singha light anymore also. Plus, the SM beer gives me a headache, while the others mentioned don't.

2 hours ago, gargamon said:

You say that as if it's a plus. San Miguel beer, especially the light variety, is horrid. There was a Manila light that was actually pretty good last time I was there. It was hard to find. I guess San Miguel marketing has locked up the market through payoffs, etc.  The payoffs have expanded to Thailand where you cannot get the palatable tiger light and singha light anymore also. Plus, the SM beer gives me a headache, while the others mentioned don't.

Horses for courses?

I prefer South Philippines (Visayas) & always thought that Cebu (excluding Cebu City & Mactan as too busy ) would be a good place to stay a while…. Maybe CarCar or Moalboal or even Bohol Island. 

Spent quite a bit of time visiting Davao/Kapalong with my Ex & thought Tagum or Carmen would be good places to live if you don’t mind not being near a beach. 

4 hours ago, gargamon said:

You say that as if it's a plus. San Miguel beer, especially the light variety, is horrid.

Funny, San Miguel Light with the lemon stuck in, was the go to drink for all the bar girls in Pattaya in the years I was there. Seems their marketing also made it in Thailand.

Edited by AreYouGerman

Ditto what others have said about Dumaguete.  One of its virtues though are a presence of western retirees, particularly in Valencia, which you say is not a criteria for you.  But it's a good place to have on your list to visit and see. Caveat:  I have not visited but it has long been on my short list to spend time in, also visiting Dauin just north of the city.  But I suspect that the overall area will be too sleepy for my own preference. 

Also the areas south of Cebu City: Talisay or Minglanilla.  I have driven through there several times and they are on my list to spend some time in.  A significant advantage there is that you have (relatively) close access to good hospitals in Cebu City should you experience a major health event. 

There is also Mactan island across a straight with three bridges to Cebu City.

You might also visit Moalboal to see how it feels to you. 

I am giving serious thought to retiring part-time on Boracay.  It's reputed to be expensive but I have visited many times and found that if you get lodging even 200 meters inland away from the tourist White Beach, and shop at markets instead of eating out, it does not have to be expensive at all.  There is also inexpensive prepared food just a short distance outside of the main tourist area.  The downside is that you are far from all but rudimentary health care so there is little rescue from a heart attack or stroke or major motorbike accident etc., but it sounds like you are OK with that. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Funny, San Miguel Light with the lemon stuck in, was the go to drink for all the bar girls in Pattaya in the years I was there. Seems their marketing also made it in Thailand.

You trust bar girls to be able to discern good beer?

Simon, I thought of one other Philippines candidate, and that is Puerto Galera.  Not the tourist areas of Sabang or White Beach (although that's where the piers are so you have to pass through them), but rather Puerto Galera town or especially the areas along the coastal road south of town. 

PG is on my top list of places to spend more time, and from what I've seen on past trips it might check all of your boxes.   

Edited by ChrisP24

Quakes and typhoons are normally not an issue in the Duma area and you have both the sea and elevations easily available.  Duma has a number of expats due to low costs and good living conditions with easy travel but there is room to avoid if that is your desire.  But also good shopping and medical facilities when wanted or needed.  Even with issues of truck smoke PI has enough natural air flow to keep things clean in most areas.  But no hurry to make a final decision on final resting place as you can move your things and easily move elsewhere later if you change your mind, for find someone to change our mind.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Thanks 1

On 4/10/2024 at 10:48 AM, CharlesHolzhauer said:

I've been to Manila once but never visited other locations within PI.

Many years ago, I contemplated moving and retiring to Timor-Leste due to my girlfriend at that time.

You may wish to add this to your list for detailed investigation you wish to relocate https://retireasia.com/east-and-west-timor/. There are other locations you may wish to consider such as the Islands in the Western and South Pacific which were my stomping grounds for more than two decades. I hope you find a suitable country to retire. Good luck.

American Samoa: Could be very nice. But, maybe there is still a problem with highspeed reliable internet there?

• Haha 1