American Motorbike Rider Arrested for Drunk Driving in Patong

webfact

10 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Patong –An American motorbike rider was arrested in Patong for drunk driving.

The Patong Police told the Phuket Express that earlier this week they had set up a police checkpoint on the Taweewong Road. At 2:30 A.M. on the day in question a suspicious male foreign motorbike rider was stopped at the police checkpoint.

He was given an alcohol breath test. The test showed .79 milligrams percent of alcohol which was over the legal alcohol limit of .50.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-04-11

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

PPNew1000.jpg

Revoke his license. Fine him with at least 1000 USD and wish him a Good Day.🙏

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

American? I don't believe it. They are way down the table of offenders. Maybe the reporter misread Armenian? 😀

Yeah, the British tourist are not going to like the Americans trying to take over their patch😀

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

10 minutes ago, parallelman said:

Yeah, the British tourist are not going to like the Americans trying to take over their patch😀

Oh yes we will, Brits will be left alone.......:intheclub:

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Revoke his license. Fine him with at least 1000 USD and wish him a Good Day.🙏

Just send him to the USA.

I know that is a harsh punishment, but I am sure he will remember and behave better next time.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Just send him to the USA.

I know that is a harsh punishment, but I am sure he will remember and behave better next time.

I could be wrong and if so please correct me, but isn't the legal limit in the US .80mg? I know we are not in the US, but it would at least add some perspective to how 'drunk' he was.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I could be wrong and if so please correct me, but isn't the legal limit in the US .80mg? I know we are not in the US, but it would at least add some perspective to how 'drunk' he was.

Correct....   the reading of 0.79 % is deadly.....     So is 0.5% BAC...  

I think the article refers to either 0.079% which is a dash above 0.05% BAC

0.08% BAC is considered to be about 4 cans of beer or more realistically, 6 cans of been in a 2 hour period.

That doesn't take anything away from the fact that he was over the limit - broke the law and he was impaired, even if slightly and his BAC levels (regardless of being relatively low) could have been to blame for his hurting (or worse) innocent others...

... So, Good job on the Police for catching him... I just wish they'd place exactly the same level of outrage and apply serious penalties for ALL those caught... (Thai's and non-Thai's).

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, alien365 said:

Yes you are right regarding the level in the USA, but he isn't in the USA is he, he's in Thailand.

The only sensible amount of alcohol to drink when driving is none. It's not a matter of how 'drunk' one is, it's about the negative impact that alcohol has on ones ability to drive safely. And that is much higher than people think.

• Agree 2

The test showed .79 milligrams percent of alcohol which was over the legal alcohol limit of .50. Could anybody translate this in a comprehensble way. For me it would be expressed in a number of 33 cl beers during  a specific laps of time.

Just now, vangrop said:

The test showed .79 milligrams percent of alcohol which was over the legal alcohol limit of .50. Could anybody translate this in a comprehensble way. For me it would be expressed in a number of 33 cl beers during  a specific laps of time.

The test showed .79 milligrams percent of alcohol which was over the legal alcohol limit of .50. Very confusing. Is it 0.79 percent alcohol in your blood? Or is it 0.79 milligrams alcohol per gram blood? Still the same question, what is the effect on your condition?

2 hours ago, vangrop said:

It's impossible to say the time due to other factors such as weight and food intake. Generally though it considers the number of beers within an hour and then you subtract 0.1 for every 40 minutes of drinking. He looks quite short and not very well built so I'd guess 160lbs. He could have had 5 small beers (33cl) in 2.5 hrs and get that reading. 

Regarding zero being the safe limit as others have suggested, I had one large bottle of beer this evening with my meal and drove home 3 hrs after starting the beer. I see nothing wrong with that as I was well under the strict legal limit here. Yes I wanted another beer, but it's not worth the risk. The law is the law. I personally feel zero is unreasonable. Every banana or slice of proper bread you eat contains a very small amount of alcohol. Alcohol free beer even contains alcohol. 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Correct....   the reading of 0.79 % is deadly.....     So is 0.5% BAC...  

I think the article refers to either 0.079% which is a dash above 0.05% BAC

0.08% BAC is considered to be about 4 cans of beer or more realistically, 6 cans of been in a 2 hour period.

That doesn't take anything away from the fact that he was over the limit - broke the law and he was impaired, even if slightly and his BAC levels (regardless of being relatively low) could have been to blame for his hurting (or worse) innocent others...

... So, Good job on the Police for catching him... I just wish they'd place exactly the same level of outrage and apply serious penalties for ALL those caught... (Thai's and non-Thai's).

Anyone drinking and driving even with only two glasses of beer gets no sympathy from me. Do not drink any alcohol if you are going to drive.

• Like 1