Chickens destroying trees

Our neighbour has chickens, he doesnt live on his block of land and just lets his chickens roam around, we have fences around our land but the chickens still get into it to scratch around the trees. The trouble is we buy coir chip and have our worker place it around the trees to stop the moisture from evaporating quickly with all the heat currently, the chickens scratch it all out as well as scratch down destroying the feeder roots on the young trees/seedlings which in turn cause some of the trees/seedlings to die. We have asked our neighbour to keep his chickens in their pens which he used to do originally but he just shrugs and says too hard, as some of the trees/seedlings are worth a lot of money I need to protect them and want to start killing any of his chickens I find on our land seeing he refuses to do anything about them. I have been told that as I have fenced our land in I have the right to kill any animals etc that invade it but do not want to get in trouble with the law, I also want to put down baits for the chickens along our side of the fence, paying for coir chip as well as labour to put it around our trees just so his chickens can scratch it all away is costing us money, it is getting rediculous, we need to be able to protect out property from his finacial costs. The trees are plumeria/frangipani/lillawadee, some of the best varieties in the world, I do cross pollination to create new varieties so the trees are worth a lot of money, I need to be able to stop his chickens from destroying them and he just doesnt care or want to do anything about it, killing them appears to be our last option but only if we can do it legally, this is where a 410 shot gun would come in very handy with rat shot but baits seem to be the only option for us if we are allowed to protect our land. Would appreciate other people that farm here to let me know if we are allowed to protect our land and to kill his chickens without getting into trouble with the law, not worried about the neighbour as he has shown in the past to be a total a hole.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, n00dle said:

surround the trees with wire cages.  

how is that not obvious?

Why should he? He/they have already put up fencing. Chicken owner doesn't give a toss. Why should he/they go to the trouble of surrounding their trees on their property? How is that not obvious? 

15 hours ago, djayz said:

Why should he? He/they have already put up fencing. Chicken owner doesn't give a toss. Why should he/they go to the trouble of surrounding their trees on their property? How is that not obvious? 

Because he wants his trees to survive. It is an inexpensive solution that protects the trees. 

nothing says he can't continue trying to get the onwer to take responsibility, but why beat your head against the wall taking a pointless stand>

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, n00dle said:

surround the trees with wire cages.  

how is that not obvious?

over 500 trees, you expect me to pay because of the neighbours refusal to do anything when I already pay for coir chip and spreading it around the trees, as for eating them I have already told the worker he can kill and eat as many as he can catch

Edited by seajae

Just now, seajae said:

over 500 trees,

you expect me to pay because of the neighbours refusal to do anything and as for eating them I have already told the worker he can kill and eat as many as he can catch

What do I expect? I don't give a fok what you do, I provided you with a peaceful solution given the inadequate information you provided.

Perhaps you should have mentioned that there were over 500 earlier. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

500 trees!  Is this a commercial venture? 

What size or kind of trees are they? 

I used to have a mango, lychee and lamyai orchard with lots of trees....and I also kept about 50 chickens and some ducks free range amongst them. 

I never had any problem with my chickens harming the trees. They were good for them..tbeir poop fertilised the ground and they ate pest insects.  They used to roost in the trees. 

Maybe it's the heat, lack of shade or lack of water, or even pests killing your young trees? 

Seedlings stand a very poor chance in this climate if simply planred out in the dry season. 

They need to be grown in pots, under cover for shade, and get regular irrigation, until they are large enough and sturdy enough to be planted out....which is best done in rainy season. 

If you start killing your neighbours chickens you are going to stir up a lot of trouble. 

Another poster suggested getting a dog. That is a very good idea. You could leave it to run about on your land and it would chase away the chickens and then they would be deterred from coming back.  

Edited by jak2002003