Avoid dehydration: What's the best to drink in this heat?

george

7 hours ago, Muhendis said:

Electrolytes are not required to be added to fluid intake.

A healthy body is producing them all the time as required.

Thats what our kidneys do.

Good clean water is all that is needed.

I get mine from my RO filter unit at home.

If exercising you need electrolytes, otherwise you can get electrolyte crashes, as a friend did this week, multiple cramps. If i was doing no exercise and not sweating much I wouldn't bother most likely

9 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

If exercising you need electrolytes, otherwise you can get electrolyte crashes, as a friend did this week, multiple cramps. If i was doing no exercise and not sweating much I wouldn't bother most likely

I'm inclined to agree with that. 

If exercising one would be expecting to change ones diet to match.

An electrolyte crash as you call it is an imbalance of mineral levels in the body could be due to poor diet or maybe due to kidney malfunction.

"An electrolyte imbalance occurs when your body's mineral levels are too high or too low. This can negatively affect vital body systems. Electrolytes must be evenly balanced for your body to function properly. Severe electrolyte imbalances can cause serious problems such as coma, seizures, and cardiac arrest."

It's worth noting that if we load up with electrolyte laden food and drink, our healthy kidneys will struggle to keep things in balance.

"Just like anything else, too many electrolytes can be unhealthy: Too much sodium, formally referred to as hypernatremia, can cause dizziness, vomiting, and diarrhea. Too much potassium, known as hyperkalemia, can impact your kidney function and cause heart arrhythmia, nausea, and an irregular pulse."

25 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Exercising and sex everyday gave me cramps in specific positions , added an extra coconut and 4 Brazil nuts to my breakfest, problem solved

Edited by Hummin

21 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

I'm inclined to agree with that. 

If exercising one would be expecting to change ones diet to match.

An electrolyte crash as you call it is an imbalance of mineral levels in the body could be due to poor diet or maybe due to kidney malfunction.

"An electrolyte imbalance occurs when your body's mineral levels are too high or too low. This can negatively affect vital body systems. Electrolytes must be evenly balanced for your body to function properly. Severe electrolyte imbalances can cause serious problems such as coma, seizures, and cardiac arrest."

It's worth noting that if we load up with electrolyte laden food and drink, our healthy kidneys will struggle to keep things in balance.

"Just like anything else, too many electrolytes can be unhealthy: Too much sodium, formally referred to as hypernatremia, can cause dizziness, vomiting, and diarrhea. Too much potassium, known as hyperkalemia, can impact your kidney function and cause heart arrhythmia, nausea, and an irregular pulse."

The friend who is a fitness machine said it might have been caused by a stomach issue the night before with diarrhea

18 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Exercising and sex everyday gave me cramps in specific positions , added an extra coconut and 4 Brazil nuts to my breakfest, problem solved

i never get cramps, maybe because of the electrolytes i have each day

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

i never get cramps, maybe because of the electrolytes i have each day

I work out quite heavy with weights 6 days a week (3split), treadmill and rowing + heavy bag 30 min to one hour a day

Total of 12 hours a week

I needed more quality electrolytes and now bought BCAA To supply. 

12 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Just cover your head and neck and drink lots, and I mean lots, of water. Stay out of the direct sun when you can.

Or just stay inside in aircon rooms

12 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

If you can yes but at some time you will probably need to go out.

In the morning and evening, and we got 288m2 with 4 aircon rooms, including gym, and bath tub at balcony where I have a large temple fan, which gives great effect with fresh borehole water 

Still missing fresh breeze and a western pointed island beach. Need to escape 

2 hours ago, Hummin said:

And what did they say about electrolytes? Just drinking water in extreme heat is not enough in the long run, you need electrolytes 

Did not mention it

1 hour ago, retarius said:

Beer Leo is best for dehydration. It has all the nutrients you would need after a hot day fishing in this heat. Best drunk in gallon glasses.

Don't forget to add a very small dash of lime to get your essential vitamin C!

On 4/11/2024 at 12:48 PM, george said:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.45.47.png

HOT! 🔥

I'm drinking Sponsor (sugar free electrolyte) and lots of water everyday to keep the hydration.

Someone told me that Protein Milk is also good.

What are you drinking to keep up with the heat?
(I'm not talking about beer and booze...)

With a good, normal diet and 2-3 liters of water a day you can save yourself electrolytic drinks!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/11/2024 at 8:58 AM, Galong said:

Sponsor tastes nasty and it's full of chemicals. In its natural state, coconut water contains electrolytes such as potassium, sodium, magnesium, and phosphorus.  I cycle long distances every day regardless of the heat. I don't get dehydrated. I drink 3 to 4 liters of plain water per day. I eat a banana or two and some coconut water regularly.  

It’s handy to check your blood too. I was very low on potassium, I had 2 perfusions ( 2 hrs each) to get my levels back to the norm. Very dangerous. I also take a magnesium before bed to help sleep. My go to drink is fresh coconut water, love it and settles my stomach. Bananas, papaya, plenty water. 

On 4/11/2024 at 12:48 PM, george said:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.45.47.png

HOT! 🔥

I'm drinking Sponsor (sugar free electrolyte) and lots of water everyday to keep the hydration.

Someone told me that Protein Milk is also good.

What are you drinking to keep up with the heat?
(I'm not talking about beer and booze...)

i never new they made sugar free one , its about time i was buying sugar free stuff online from abroad, i will try it it used to be full of sugar, thanks for info

Just now, 1sickpuppy said:

i never new they made sugar free one , its about time i was buying sugar free stuff online from abroad, i will try it it used to be full of sugar, thanks for info

chrysanthemum tea is also good for cooling the body

Anything with the word electrolyte on it is a scam. Electrolyte is a synonym for salt. This is what corporations do; they make gobs of money selling you a thing they made up. 

you want to hydrate well. Truly in the best fashion, eat a som o. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Robert Paulson said:

Anything with the word electrolyte on it is a scam. Electrolyte is a synonym for salt. This is what corporations do; they make gobs of money selling you a thing they made up. 

you want to hydrate well. Truly in the best fashion, eat a som o. 

If everything with the word "electrolyte " on it is a scam , wouldn't then you post be scam?