Are you struggling in Thailand?

Celsius

5 hours ago, impulse said:

That's assuming you're on the income method and not on the "money in the bank" method.  Lots of guys are whittling away at their 400K or 800K and then have to go to dodgy agents.  (The ones that can fake a bank statement) 

Not hard to imagine they'll eventually struggle to pay the agents.

Bad news, though.  If you're struggling in Thailand, "back home" isn't going to be any cheaper.  Being a Covid refugee for a couple of years proved that to me.  The saving grace is that you can pick up a job back home.  But unless you have some special skill, that just qualifies you for a miserable existence.

Impulse but sadly not finger on the pulse.

Edited by saintdomingo
  • Thumbs Up 2

I'm Ok, but I'm not saving much like I did in the Usa. More just like neutral. My lifestyle is fine, but I'm a bit worried that I should be saving more. As you get older you need more saved up to be Ok. I got a couple large tax bills that reduced my savings that I was not expecting, that got me a bit worried. A chunk of it was getting double taxed on liquidating some of my retirement accounts. I did not have the records from decades ago in contributions so I had to pay the tax and a hefty penalty on the full amount.

A bit of advice, I don't recommend retirement accounts anymore to get the tax deduction. It's not worth the risk or hassle, though I think it would be beneficial if you handled things perfectly. Just use a regular brokerage account.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bob smith said:

I dropped 10,000 on a steak dinner last weekend. 

4,000 on a bottle of wine.

Everyone knows a half decent steak costs 20,000 and any wine that isn't total p1ss costs at least 8,000 a bottle. Well, if you are forced to do things on the cheap like that then nobody should hold it against you. 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

But as I said above, the baby boomers will miss out because it's all too difficult to retrain the brain to the new electricity or internet, i.e. Cryptocurrencies.

That's what they said about tulip bulbs...

• Agree 2

14 hours ago, impulse said:

I don't claim to know the mechanics.  I was just differentiating between going to an agent because you don't like waiting in line and going to an agent because you don't meet the requirements. 

Though, if a fellow doesn't have 400K or 800K to his name, and still gets an extension that requires 400K or 800K in the bank, I am curious how that does work...

Faked documentation. It exists and most agents being paid to get your extensions are paying someone to overlook it or produce it. Its not rocket science to figure out. 

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, topt said:

Sorry to hear of your troubles but where were you able to get all that for only 6k baht?

Government Hospital Chiang Rai.

They didn't offer any options, carted me in to the emergency room. Terrifyingly young looking English speaking nurse questioned me about what happened, most interested in my head. Talked to the doctor, issued some instructions to her team, next thing I knew they had removed my clothes and wrapped me in a hospital gown (I was a bit confused otherwise I would have enjoyed that bit!). Whizzed me in for the scan (her very good English slipped a bit when she announced " we did a scan of your head and found nothing - you must have a very thick head!". Then upstairs, drip inserted and onto a bed next to the nurses office, with a window through which I was observed.

Nobody mentioned cost until the last ten minutes as I was  being discharged. My daughter went to get the bill, cashier asked her if it was OK or did I need a plan, it was OK so daughter toddled off to an ATM and withdrew the cash from my UK bank.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, norfolkandchance said:

Wow. Real classy Dear Boy.

You're classy with your first response to me? I guess putting other posters down is your thing, which makes you a poor excuse for a human being.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, bob smith said:

I dropped 10,000 on a steak dinner last weekend. 

4,000 on a bottle of wine.

much love,

BOB.

I envy you Bob.

I don't take the risk with steaks here, even grossly overdone they won't refund the 2500 THB for prime Kiwi beef. And I set my limit for wine at 2000.

But seriously, most of ewes are probably single, but with a family of four on 300k a month I can feel my SOL shrinking these days...

17 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I am struggling in Australia. Cold, and expensive. Two weeks to go, and I will be back in Thailand.

People are really struggling here. Rental costs have skyrocketed.

Sounds like a lost paradise, I have fond memories of Oz in the eighties, when everything was just right, easy, warm, beautiful and welcoming.

Edited by Ben Zioner
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Er - 40K a month is 480 K a year.

I average 660K a year, I see no reason to live as a miser.

Must be living like a lord with 15000 baht more each month than a miser.

• Haha 1

I'm doing OK. The house and car are paid for, and I don't have any debt. I haven't had to touch any of my savings or investments in years. My health is good. I don't live large but I am comfortable.

• Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, NoshowJones said:

If your house is paid for and you have solar panels, no TV licence or council tax to pay and use a motorbike for transport, don't drink alcohol or smoke. then living on 4oK a month should be very easy.

Do your solar panels run your air conditioning for free in this heat? I agree with you, especially if single. It's stepchildren and neices and nephews that can cost with university and college fees, living away from home expenses and their vehicles. Fortunately, mine are satisfied with 20 year old cars and pickups. However, the Mrs feels sorry for friends and neighbours and gives many interest free loans. She complains to me when they don't repay!  

No rent to pay, no eating or drinking out. I pay for internet, Lecky, cigarettes, 2 large Leos every night, Netflix, cook at home, order frozen food every month around 2k, some cheap brick weed, and to keep within my budget still give my wife an allowance every month, she buys mainly her own stuff clothes, food she likes etc. cat and dog food, 25k max a month. about 10-20k a year on my car, and I only use that to go shopping. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1