Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thailand suspends TM 6 immigration forms (arrival/departure)

14 minutes ago, george said:

The TM 6 form suspension will be implemented at eight immigration checkpoints for those entering by land: Aranyaprathet in Sa Kaeo, Mueang district in Mukdahan, Mueang district in Nong Khai, Chiang Saen in Chiang Rai, Padang Besar and Sadao in Songkhla, Sungai Kolok in Narathiwat, and Betong in Yala.

This appears to imply, however, that there may be other land immigration checkpoints in addition to these 8 at which the TM6 requirement will not be relaxed!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2

They write "pause". Semantics may not be their forte. Maybe it meant "abolished". The TM6 serves no purpose, apart from being able to fine those who lose it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

This appears to imply, however, that there may be other land immigration checkpoints in addition to these 8 at which the TM6 requirement will not be relaxed!

Two come to mind immediately that I use:  Chiang Khong & Chong Mek.

Edited by FARANG KIWI
Ed = spell

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Never ask "why?" in Thailand. There is no why. There just is. 😉 

The reason is that this change needs a cabinet decision, and can take time. Expect the TM6 to disappear completely within 6 months.

• Love It 1

On 4/13/2024 at 11:49 AM, ChaiyaTH said:

Pause it, why not just terminate it permanently, it is nonsense in the first place and by air you don't get it too.

Face saving step-by-step; they cannot simply abolish which they were cherishing for decades. Hence "temporary" in Thailand has a completely different meaning and, in many cases, can mean permanent. In six months nobody will talk about it anymore. 
Remember the customs declaration slip you had to fill in aboard aircraft arriving in Thailand? Disappeared also on a temporary basis as customs officers collected them after baggage collection and threw them into a big empty cigarette transportation box which they got from the duty free shop just next to them. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Provided the article is complete, then the TM6 still applies (along the Thai-Laotian border) at:

Ban Huak Border Checkpoint - ด่านพรมแดนบ้านฮวก
Huai Kon Border Checkpoint - ด่านพรมแดนห้วยโก๋น
Phu Doo Border Checkpoint - ด่านพรมแดนภูดู่
Nam Hueang Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge - สะพานมิตรภาพน้ำเหือง ไทย-ลาว
Bueng Kan border checkpoint - ด่านพรมแดนบึงกาฬ
Nakorn Phanom Third Thai–Lao Friendship 3 Bridge - สะพานมิตรภาพไทย-ลาว แห่งที่ 3

It also applies to all crossings with the Kingdom of Cambodia except Aranyaphratet, it seems ......... 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 2:05 PM, Guderian said:

Well you haven't had to fill one in if you arrive by air for several years, and the world hasn't ended. Why not just abolish it completely? And then do the same for the TM30 and 90-day reporting.

That would be too intelligent!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Face saving step-by-step; they cannot simply abolish which they were cherishing for decades. Hence "temporary" in Thailand has a completely different meaning and, in many cases, can mean permanent. In six months nobody will talk about it anymore. 
Remember the customs declaration slip you had to fill in aboard aircraft arriving in Thailand? Disappeared also on a temporary basis as customs officers collected them after baggage collection and threw them into a big empty cigarette transportation box which they got from the duty free shop just next to them. 

"Temporarily" means, that it could be thrown on table any time again. If it's only by a local immigration head, to sharpen his profile.

Another good example is the tm30. Nobody cared about it for ages.

Edited by Maitdjai

1 hour ago, paul1804 said:

That would be too intelligent!

Actually, the 90-day reports serve the function of justifying the grossly inflated staffing at Immigration. Without this requirement, most of the staff would be sitting idle and have no papers to shuffle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Yet we have to show copies for annual extension and new PP update. :coffee1:

Yes, I was going to caution about that.... that people who have their last prior TM6 still stapled in their passport ought to leave it there..... and not discard it.... despite the reported news above.

Last time I was at BKK CW Immigration to renew my retirement extension, because I had seen the practice of the TM6 forms no longer being issued to incoming air travelers, I asked the IO if I could now discard my last old TM6...

And they advised NO, that at least for the time being, I should keep it, as they were still asking for photocopies of it for various purposes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And they advised NO, that at least for the time being, I should keep it, as they were still asking for photocopies of it for various purposes.

E.g. wallpaper the homes of government employees?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

The TM6 in my passport is slowly falling to bits with age. What do i do when it crumbles to dust?

Scan and colour print it now, cut it out and put it in your passport.........😉

25 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Actually, the 90-day reports serve the function of justifying the grossly inflated staffing at Immigration. Without this requirement, most of the staff would be sitting idle and have no papers to shuffle.

No, they could be out checking on dodgy farangy's......😛

On 4/13/2024 at 11:45 AM, george said:

“The ministry is assured that this measure will help alleviate congestion at immigration checkpoints and spur tourism and the economy.

That is top most on my priorities when booking a holiday , " what country can I visit who doesn't require an arrival/departure card ".

Have to build another airport to cope with people taking advantage of this ground breaking move.

• Haha 2

On 4/13/2024 at 4:10 PM, quake said:

TM-6

TM-47

TM-30

would be nice to see them all gone. for ever.

Grow up Thailand.

Be careful what you wish for.

Those requirements will one day go away to be replaced by a mandatory tracking app on our smart phones using AI to parse the data and flag anomalies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ningnong said:

Be careful what you wish for.

Those requirements will one day go away to be replaced by a mandatory tracking app on our smart phones using AI to parse the data and flag anomalies.

Can't stop progress.

Border control, could be an issue. :shock1:

ttttt.JPG

Edited by quake
  • Sad 1