Creatine

Does anyone here take Creatine whether daily or weekly that doesn't lift weights?

I have been taking 5mg a day for a few years , recently went off it and noticed a difference to my energy, mind you it could be mind over matter 

Im starting to think if there are any health benefits to taking Creatine though especially it rising so much in price 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does anyone here take Creatine whether daily or weekly that doesn't lift weights?

I have been taking 5mg a day for a few years , recently went off it and noticed a difference to my energy, mind you it could be mind over matter 

Im starting to think if there are any health benefits to taking Creatine though especially it rising so much in price 

How old are you? 

several studies indicates positive effect on elderly people even not working out. Im working out and take 3g a day, and it gives me a little bit fluid retention. For my energy, cant really say, but Im 55 and on trt and feel great

Taking high doses of creatine for a short period of time is shown to help older adults have more energy throughout the day. In addition to fighting mental tiredness, supplementing with creatine can also help with muscle tiredness, particularly in your lower body. Reduces skin aging.

https://www.webmd.com/healthy-aging/is-creatine-safe-for-older-adults

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

Im working out and take 3g a day, and it gives me a little bit fluid retention.

Note my response about creatine and kidney disease above. 

11 minutes ago, connda said:

Note my response about creatine and kidney disease above. 

On trt so I do 3 months check ups. 

I also drink at least 4 l or more water everyday. Creatine at 3g pr day have been proven safe btw for more than 5 months, but of course in combination with other supplemets that can take a toll on your kidneys, you have to do your blood work regularly 

Back in the mid to late 80s, several Physical Training Instructors (PTIs) in the NZ Army were pushing creatine. 

Mostly for those doing weight training but was available to anyone.  Can't remember the costs from back then but it wasn't expensive. 

Edited by Korat Kiwi

4 hours ago, Hummin said:

I also drink at least 4 l or more water everyday. Creatine at 3g pr day have been proven safe btw for more than 5 months, but of course in combination with other supplemets that can take a toll on your kidneys, you have to do your blood work regularly 

Creatine needs to be cycled.  Can't remember the exact proportions but I'm sure it's on the Internet.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Creatine needs to be cycled.  Can't remember the exact proportions but I'm sure it's on the Internet.

There is no need to cycle it if you're taking 3 - 5g per day.

5 hours ago, Hummin said:

The problem is with the kidney function test using creatinine blood levels as the indicator for kidney health. They use it because it's quick and cheap. If you're muscular, and taking creatine, you will have higher creatinine levels.

If you're using a lot of creatine, you should consider more advanced kidney function testing.

Testing Kidney Function

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/14/2024 at 7:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

You're old? Over 65? And going to a gym regularly? And doing weight lifting?

Creatine wouldn't have any benefit.

Your body creates Creatine by itself. A glass of milk a day will do. (Or, if you like....a steak)🙏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

Your body creates Creatine by itself. A glass of milk a day will do. (Or, if you like....a steak)🙏

Not over 65 

Just started back on Creatine last night and feeling great today 

• Haha 2

I was taking it daily. I know you read everywhere it is the safest most researched supplement etc. 

What I noticed when I stopped taking it was a small loss of weight and definition of body.

I read some website maybe nhs or something one of the side effect is kidney failure. Stopped taking it.

I also have haemochromatosis that stresses my organs a lot already so I figured no need to push my luck.

As for energy though and not working out. I can't say I noticed much change

On 4/14/2024 at 7:44 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I hope you mean 5 GRAMS not 1000x less or 5 mg...

creatine can help more than for the dumb weight lifters

it is used in methylation... as methylation used 40-50% of your methyl donors, just to create creatine in your body, so it is a good idea to supplement if you have a snp in MTHFR

50 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

I was taking it daily. I know you read everywhere it is the safest most researched supplement etc. 

What I noticed when I stopped taking it was a small loss of weight and definition of body.

I read some website maybe nhs or something one of the side effect is kidney failure. Stopped taking it.

I also have haemochromatosis that stresses my organs a lot already so I figured no need to push my luck.

As for energy though and not working out. I can't say I noticed much change

hope you give blood, best way to deal with your iron overload...

or you diy at home, some hardcore videos on YT ... lol

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21394604/

There is some evidence that creatine supplementation is helpful in the elderly

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Not over 65 

Just started back on Creatine last night and feeling great today 

Look, if you feeling great..... it's fine.

What you want more. Supplements is one of the biggest business in almost every country.

Supplements don't need to give proof of medical effect. 🙏

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21394604/

There is some evidence that creatine supplementation is helpful in the elderly

It's all a matter of belief. Which study you like to believe as well.

What is scientifically proven is that by drinking milk or by an intake of other protein sources (steak, as I mentioned) or fish you'll get creatine. In addition your body creates Creatine in liver, pancreas and kidneys eg. 

So, if you get healthy food it's not necessary to buy any creatine as supplement.

However, creatine is not a medicine. Therefore you will see creatine only advertised as "helps you" or "support you" or similar.

But I'm sure you will know that, don't you?

• Love It 1

3 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

It's all a matter of belief.

No.

Which study you like to believe as well.

Then give references to studies that say creatine supplementation is NOT useful for seniors in particular.

So, if you get healthy food it's not necessary to buy any creatine as supplement.

Necessary isn't the issue. Think.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

No.

Then give references to studies that say creatine supplementation is NOT useful for seniors in particular.

Necessary isn't the issue. Think.

I mentioned "necessary".

In addition read my reply to Sheryl.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

I mentioned "necessary".

Yes, you did. Let me quote your mention again:

10 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

And then I noted that "necessary" isn't the issue under discussion here. Nobody claimed it's necessary to buy any creatine as supplement.

6 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

In addition read my reply to Sheryl.

I did, but it merely contained assertions irrelevant to the findings of supplementary creatine's likely benefit for seniors in particular, based, furthermore, on imagined personal Authority, not documented contrary evidence.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Yes, you did. Let me quote your mention again:

And then I noted that "necessary" isn't the issue under discussion here. Nobody claimed it's necessary to buy any creatine as supplement.

I did, but it merely contained assertions irrelevant to the findings of supplementary creatine's likely benefit for seniors in particular, based, furthermore, on imagined personal Authority, not documented contrary evidence.

I really don't care what you believe.

I rely on science.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I rely on science.

Or maybe not, since you claim it's all a matter of belief. Still waiting for you to reference the evidence you have, based on science, that the probability that creatine supplements don't benefit seniors outweighs the probability they do, according to respectable studies such Sheryl cited. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Or maybe not, since you claim it's all a matter of belief. Still waiting for you to reference the evidence you have, based on science, that the probability that creatine supplements don't benefit seniors outweighs the probability they do, according to respectable studies such Sheryl cited. 

There are no respectable studies at all. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, newbee2022 said:

It's all a matter of belief. Which study you like to believe as well.

What is scientifically proven is that by drinking milk or by an intake of other protein sources (steak, as I mentioned) or fish you'll get creatine. In addition your body creates Creatine in liver, pancreas and kidneys eg. 

For those who consume sufficient animal protein relative to their metaboluc needs  there is obviously  usually no need to supplement creatine  or amino acids  etc. 

However for vegetarians  it can be a good idea. 

The elderly are another group of concern as it is now known that protein needs increase in old age while overall caloric needs (and, often, food intake) decreases. 

Personally, being both elderly and a vegetarian (and having osteopenia)  I think it wise to take it in modest dosage. 

Many hody builders seem to find it useful as well. 

Certainly this is not something most people need to supplement but to suggest it cannot benefit anyone is going too far. 

• Like 1