Duo steals million-baht diamond bracelet from Bangkok mall

webfact

8 hours ago, mancub said:

Foreigners of Asian descent most likely !

do you really think anyone Thai will be looking for the difference? They will read foreigner in the news and automatically think badly again of all foreigners in the country. The fact that the news service stating maybe it was foreigners instead of saying Asian alone says they are trying to provoke a response to add to the level of anger already present in so many Thai against foreigners. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, MartinL said:

So now even "resembling foreigners'  is a potential offence, is it? There seems to be no end of ways they're trying to finger foreigners for Thai crime. Surely, if the thieves definitely were foreigners, it would have been one of the first things used to describe them by the shop staff.

The staff talked to them, surely she could tell if they were foreigners or Thai, right, right? 

8 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

In NZ there is a proliferation of kids doing ram raids, not just on convience stores but within malls too.  Why?  Because they know they can get away with it. 

If they do get caught they are of the age where they don't go to jail but attend a youth court. Too soft IMHO. 

This was already being practice in England long ago:

Age of criminality

The age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is 10 years old. This means that children under 10 can’t be arrested or charged with a crime. There are other punishments that can be given to children under 10 who break the law.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/youth-crime

I agree look asian the lady,i thought gold shops had guards with guns outside.Whatever happened they got away with it ,so I Imagine they are long gone after this heist.Will they catch them I don,t know

15 hours ago, MartinL said:

So now even "resembling foreigners'  is a potential offence, is it? There seems to be no end of ways they're trying to finger foreigners for Thai crime. Surely, if the thieves definitely were foreigners, it would have been one of the first things used to describe them by the shop staff.

Did they speak Thai? 

Stealing a bracelet with diamonds in it is not worth much if the diamonds are small, selling it for meltdown would only get the price of the gold they wouldn't be interested in the diamonds unless there was some decent sized ones. 

They are probably in China now, Tuk tuk driver will know nothing, or get the blame and confess 

Edited by kiwikeith
Add more

6 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Not if they spoke English and the staff were not adept at recognizing what kind of English accent they were speaking with.

Thais are pretty good at recognising Chinese, they have a slang word for them, I won't mention here. 

• Haha 1

The essence of good reporting is getting your facts right so it's understandable that people get miffed by the vague term "foreigners" . The perps are clearly of Asian stock so why not say so ? Using the term foreigners implies they are westerners which is clearly not the case . 

As to the story , methinks it's easy to hoodwink the owners of jewellery shops in Thailand. 

6 hours ago, Confuscious said:

This was already being practice in England long ago:

Age of criminality

The age of criminal responsibility in England and Wales is 10 years old. This means that children under 10 can’t be arrested or charged with a crime. There are other punishments that can be given to children under 10 who break the law.

https://www.cps.gov.uk/crime-info/youth-crime

The NZ police came up with fog guns to fight ram raids and rejected removable pylons that stopped cars in their tracks, I knew the guy that made them they tested them with an air force jet pulling on them, but the police chose fog guns which did nothing. 

• Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Slocum said:

Think So...Arrest them "Bang Kwang & Klong Prem Prison"_"Bangkok Hilton" is the right place for them...Just Shameless & low people...Cheat & steal " for what.?  

Erm... 💰 

22 hours ago, Korat Kiwi said:

Geez I didn't know it had gotten that bad over there. 

From my obsevations in P.I most of the guards that are statined at every bank,K.F.C Mc.donalds,bank shopping centre 7/11,etc. are very young men/boys and although they are fully kitted out for action and look the part I wonder what they would do if confroned.Life is so cheap their that the crims would just shoot the guards dead and go ahead and do the robbery.