House approves resolution condemning Palestinian rallying cry as antisemitic

image.png

The House of Representatives recently took a significant step in condemning the use of a particular phrase often associated with Palestinian activism. In a vote of 377-44-1, the House adopted a resolution targeting the phrase "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free," considering it as antisemitic. This rallying cry has been at the center of contentious debates, particularly regarding its implications for Israel's existence and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.

The resolution's passage comes after months of heated discussions, with Rep. Rashida Tlaib's (D-Mich.) use of the phrase drawing considerable attention. Tlaib faced censure in November after sharing a video on the social platform X that featured protesters chanting the controversial slogan. Her defense of the phrase as an "aspirational call for freedom" rather than a call for violence or hate stirred further debate, highlighting the complexities surrounding its interpretation.

While Tlaib and some progressives argue that the phrase symbolizes the aspiration for Palestinian freedom and rights, critics, including the Anti-Defamation League and the American Jewish Committee, view it as inherently antisemitic. They contend that its invocation undermines Israel's legitimacy and promotes the idea of eliminating the Jewish state. The phrase's reference to the geographic area between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea is seen as erasing Israel from the map and denying its right to exist.

The resolution's supporters argue that condemning the phrase is crucial for upholding Israel's security and opposing antisemitism. Rep. Gregory Meeks (D-N.Y.), while acknowledging the divisive nature of the resolution, emphasized the importance of addressing the dangers posed by the phrase. He expressed his support for the resolution, despite reservations about its necessity, underscoring the need to take a firm stance against language that threatens Israel's existence.

However, the resolution's passage did not occur without dissent. Tlaib, consistent with her previous stance, voted against the resolution, reiterating her belief in the phrase's peaceful connotations. Additionally, Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-Pa.) opted to vote "present," citing concerns about partisan maneuvering on the issue. Dean highlighted the need for substantive action to support allies and provide humanitarian aid, criticizing what she viewed as political gamesmanship by Republicans.

The debate surrounding the resolution reflects broader divisions within Congress and the American political landscape regarding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. While the majority of lawmakers support a two-state solution as the path to peace, disagreements persist over the means to achieve it and the language used in advocating for Palestinian rights.

As tensions persist in the Middle East and debates continue in Washington, the House's resolution condemning the controversial phrase serves as a reminder of the complexities surrounding the Israeli-Palestinian conflict and the challenges of navigating sensitive issues of identity, sovereignty, and human rights on the global stage.

Source

image.png

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

From the Mediterranean in the west to the Jordan River in the east, Palestinians and Israeli's need to be free, not dead.

Hamas has made it quite clear that it wants to eradicate Israel and the Israelis themselves and why you refuse to accept this is a mystery to us all, Hamas has clearly outlined their objectives.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/18/2024 at 5:52 AM, Social Media said:

In a vote of 377-44-1, the House adopted a resolution targeting the phrase "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free," considering it as antisemitic.

Come on UK, calling those who chant it idiots is obviously not enough

Those Chanting “From River To The Sea, Palestine Will Be Free” Are ‘Useful Idiots’: Rishi Sunak

https://timelinedaily.com/world/those-chanting-from-river-to-the-sea-palestine-will-be-free-are-useful-idiots-rishi-sunak

6 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

From the Mediterranean in the west to the Jordan River in the east, Palestinians and Israeli's need to be free, not dead.

1 minute ago, Wobblybob said:

Hamas has made it quite clear that it wants to eradicate Israel and the Israelis themselves and why you refuse to accept this is a mystery to us all, Hamas has clearly outlined their objectives.

Where in my post is there any indication of support/denial for what you say?

Mere words. that is all.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Mere words. that is all.

You quoted from the river to the sea which is the rallying cry of the Hamas regime and idiots on the streets in nearly every country in the Western world. We know exactly what you want Jeff as you have made it abundantly clear in many of your posts!

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

11 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Mere words. that is all.

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

You quoted from the river to the sea which is the rallying cry of the Hamas regime and idiots on the streets in nearly every country in the Western world. We know exactly what you want Jeff as you have made it abundantly clear in many of your posts!

Liar, liar, pants on fire, where in my post does it say anything about the river to the sea? Try reading it again, useful idiots are not exclusive to the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Liar, liar, pants on fire, where in my post does it say anything about the river to the sea? Try reading it again, useful idiots are not exclusive to the UK.

Stop playing stupid games, you know that the River Jordan and the Mediterranean sea is the equivalence of the "river to the sea" rallying terrorist call.

We see you Jeff, we know you Jeff and some of it is not nice.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Stop playing stupid games, you know that the River Jordan and the Mediterranean sea is the equivalence of the "river to the sea" rallying terrorist call.

48 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Words, jumbled up, a rallying terrorists call for all Palestinians and Israelis to be free, thanks for showing your bias. 

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Words, jumbled up, a rallying terrorists call for all Palestinians and Israelis to be free, thanks for showing your bias. 

When you write words to a post I honestly don't believe you know what the next word is going to be.

And talking of bias.....pot kettle black!

When your biases are tilted towards terrorists that have committed horrendous crimes I am glad that I don't share your biases!

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

When you write words to a post I honestly don't believe you know what the next word is going to be.

When your biases are tilted towards terrorists that have committed horrendous crimes I am glad that I don't share your biases!

1 hour ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Again, where is the bias in this phrase/sentence?

2 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I have already explained that to you and if your comprehension level is so poor that is your problem and not mine!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

Mere words. that is all.

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

56 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

49 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

34 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

24 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

20 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

16 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

I have already explained that to you and if your comprehension level is so poor that is your problem and not mine!

Really.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad they're done working on the problems at hand in the USA, that they have time to dedicate to such important issues.

No wonder the place is such a mess.  Idiots keep electing puppets, and this is what you get ... som nam naa

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

So you're saying that you saying ⬆️⬆️⬆️ has no resemblance to the terrorists war cry, pull the other it's got bells on.

On 4/20/2024 at 10:33 AM, Wobblybob said:

So you're saying that you saying ⬆️⬆️⬆️ has no resemblance to the terrorists war cry, pull the other it's got bells on.

Let me ring your bells again, "from the river to the sea, Palestine will be free," is in the opinion of you and your friends a terrorist rallying cry, my slogan "From the Mediterranean in the west to the Jordan River in the east, Palestinians and Israeli's need to be free, not dead" is in my opinion the same but includes you and your ilk being free and not dead, same same for both sides.

• Confused 2

On 4/20/2024 at 10:02 AM, Jeff the Chef said:

Do you believe that Israel and Palestinians should have their own states/Countries ?

Should there be an Israeli Country?

22 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Be careful what you post Jeff, some of us have good memories of your earlier posts and you are a hypocrite of the highest order. It didn't seem to bother you when you posted that Israelis are no better than the Nazis of WW2. You are kidding no one!

Lol, a stopped clock is right twice a day, nice deflection as usual when you have nothing else.

• Confused 3
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

So,  you are a Zionist .

Zionists favour an Israeli homeland .

Welcome aboard .

I'll be whatever you want as long as it brings peace to the area and stops all the killing and maiming.

3 minutes ago, Jeff the Chef said:

Lol, a stopped clock is right twice a day, nice deflection as usual when you have nothing else.

You don't seem to know what you're writing from one minute to the next, calling Israelis no better than Nazis is pretty disgusting even by your posting history, don't you agree?

• Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

You don't seem to know what you're writing from one minute to the next, calling Israelis no better than Nazis is pretty disgusting even by your posting history, don't you agree?

So you don't agree with this statement?

Edited by Jeff the Chef

Just now, Jeff the Chef said:

I have told you what I think of your less than gracious comments and I'm not playing semantics with you. 

• Sad 1