Thai eating habits

On 4/20/2024 at 5:56 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

Just face it... Thais are inferior... right guys... in fact anyone who is not just like you is inferior... losers.

Got to love it when Fatty Farang comes on here complaining how fat Thais are.

• Sad 2
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

I enjoy the informal way of things, although please stop asking me to taste the food in your hand that you keep holding up to my face after I just saw you changing your toddler.

It's aroi, good, you try it, just try it, very good. 

Yes, I'm sure it is but why do I smell poop.

• Haha 1

On 4/18/2024 at 11:56 PM, still kicking said:

I have been told Thais eat many times a day. But I have been told only small meals. B.S. I just came back from a 2-hour trip from Ratchaburi to Bangkok. In 2houers or less they needed to eat 5 times and 2 pitstops. They ate more in one meal than I have the whole week. And the Noice of the people talking in the van. Ones we reached home they got stuck into Chipps and sweets 

If you don't have any other issues besides an inclination to post incoherent rants, consider yourself blessed. 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

usually with mouth wide open with lots of noise  slapping chops............... id  have gotten a whack when I was a  kid for  that and still find it  disgusting

It is disgusting, but is also an indicator of ‘socio-educational-economics’….

The educated do no eat like this… (for the most part)…. But those who Thai’s would classify as being placed lower on their ‘pecking order totem pole’ may more readily observed Witt poor dining habits - much like anywhere else really.

Some Westerners have clearly never been taught how to eat. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Agree 2

On 4/20/2024 at 4:35 AM, goldenbrwn1 said:

One thing i have noticed in the last 10/15 years here, is the amount of Thais with acne issues these days. Either full blown or covered in scars from it. Not sure if this is a cause of eating habits changing and the copious amounts of sugar in their diet??

True, I’ve noticed lots with bad acne. Maybe food related or the terrible creams/ whitening they use on their face.

On 4/19/2024 at 1:33 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

eating and food is big part of thai culture..is why when they eat its not alone and food is shared..its baked into the culture...what thais tell you and what they do is usually the exact opposite--hence "face"

That is not the meaning of the Asian concept of 'face' at all. 😕

• Agree 1

On 4/20/2024 at 7:46 AM, it is what it is said:

charming.

i'm pretty widely traveled and in my experience you see people who eat politely and people who don't in pretty much every country.

i often think people on this forum have limited experience of countries and cultures outside their own and thailand. traveling more widely will give you a wider perspective and understanding of different cultures and behaviours.

Well said, 

A good start would be India, communal eating and sharing, usually with a single hand, seasoned travelers would know why, 

I just got back from Vietnam it's a huge difference as they are still skinny. Although I did go to a Vietnamese restaurant in Danang and there was this big family get together where I saw the atypical fat uncle constantly stuff food and drink in his face, it was effing funny/hilarious. 

On 4/25/2024 at 3:03 AM, Sticky Rice Balls said:

im all ears..do tell

Really? That's good. It means how a person believes they are perceived by others. It may mean not backing down in a confrontation, it may mean honouring debts, or even keeping one's high status, it may even involve lying to avoid being exposed in some weakness or mistake, although being exposed in a lie would probably mean loss of face anyway. But 'face' does not simply mean lying.