Thailand faces a decline in British tourists and expats: Causes and Consequences

webfact

On 4/20/2024 at 10:07 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I pointed out that at least in Bangkok it is not as bad as it used to be.

So how bad was it,  and when?

30 years ago Bangkok was bad, but it showed significant improvement over the years only in the last decade has air quality started to deteriorate again.

To my recollection air quality has never been this poor.

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

That's why I won't go to Aussieland, people like him.

Well, he's not a good add for the place, though thankfully I have met a few Aussies here, that are nothing like the bloke, I bet a few Aussies on here cringe at his cr@p.

What with him and the many guises of bignok, I right strange duo....:huh:

49 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

That's why I won't go to Aussieland, people like him.

Do you mean that many people actually like him or is it the case of "I won't go to Aussieland, because of  people like him?

Edited by scottiejohn

2 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

Do you mean that many people actually like him or is it the case of "I won't go to Aussieland, because of  people like him?

Perhaps the anti-British stance a certain Aussie on here has, was maybe the same in Aus, but one tool on here does not make the Aussie populace anti-British.............🤗

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The latter.

35 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps the anti-British stance a certain Aussie on here has, was maybe the same in Aus, but one tool on here does not make the Aussie populace anti-British.............🤗

Yep, Agree with that, I have met loads of decent fun loving Aussies and a few idiots, it's the same with my people and countrymen.

• Sad 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

Oh, we learn from an Aussie hi-so bloke............😂

If you gave an Aussie woman cash after servicing her she would take it as you thought she was a prostitute.

1 minute ago, Goat said:

If you gave an Aussie woman cash after servicing her she would take it as you thought she was a prostitute.

You would know, thanks for telling us.........:clap2:

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Goat said:

You go out with normal girls and give them cash gifts? 

Are you insane?

For what?

When I was back in the US and I was dating, I preferred young and pretty women. Unfortunately I was living in Southern California where the demand for young and pretty women was very high, and they could therefore demand gifts, prizes, and all kinds of support, and the local men were more than willing to put out in order to get them to put out.

Granted, there are probably places in the US where that's not the case, but there are many places where it is, and I think the same applies to many areas in the West, if you're going for young and hot. 

14 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

When I was back in the US and I was dating, I preferred young and pretty women. Unfortunately I was living in Southern California where the demand for young and pretty women was very high, and they could therefore demand gifts, prizes, and all kinds of support, and the local men were more than willing to put out in order to get them to put out.

Granted, there are probably places in the US where that's not the case, but there are many places where it is, and I think the same applies to many areas in the West, if you're going for young and hot. 

weak men. reap what you sow.

Not like us Aussies. If we buy them a beer it is their shout next round.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, transam said:

True, most Aussies tend to suck up to the Brits. Fellow Commonwealth members rallying around His Majesty King Charles III, hating Starbucks and McDonald's together. So it's refreshing to find an independent thinker in the mob.

Edited by BigStar

I am not British but I made a visit to Thailand again after a long pandemic break. Issues that come to my mind, many that have been mentioned several times in the previous posts:

- Stifling hot weather, getting hotter each year. I argued some time ago that the climate simply is prohibitively hot for many activities and was told there is nothing wrong about it. I would like to have same stuff as those people.

- Massive pollution, (plastic) trash, grime everywhere, lack of appealing architecture, grey, ugly concrete behind every corner. Most of Bangkok is simply a dump, there is no way escaping that. Some cities slightly better than others but not by a wide margin.

- Dangerous and stressful, clogged traffic both intercity and urban. Deficient or missing walk paths. Extremely bad for children and disabled. Claiming Bangkok is a world class city or has wordclass infrastructure is laughable.

- Too many Chinese, apparently also too many Russians in certain cities that I wouldn't visit.

- Nature is ok but has nothing particularly impressive and is overdeveloped compared to rest of the world.

- Not cheap anymore. If it was dirt cheap some of the faults could be overlooked but there are more affordable countries even in Europe nowadays with more things to see and do. Thailand might be cheap compared to Californias, New Yorks, Tokyos and Londons of this world but overall still offers poor value for money.

- Personally it bothers me to see armies of people working some menial jobs that pay next to nothing as it shows how little the nation is progressing, instead preferring to maintain a population of servants.

The only two saving graces of Thailand that I can think of are that it has its best weather during the coldest months of Northern Hemisphere and the availability of women.

I don't think I will be in a hurry to return soon.

Edited by rabang
  • Love It 1

On 4/23/2024 at 4:30 PM, Scouse123 said:

I don't smoke but I thought cigs were cheap enough in Thailand, not the 12/13 GBP I hear about in the UK.

Booze, well Red wine is a better deal in Cambodia.

But for accommodation, Thailand wins for variety and value for money, electricity Thailand wins price-wise, Healthcare is Thailand and so are fresh fruits and vegetables.

Healthcare in Thailand isn't as cheap as it's made out to be, maybe only if you're American. I have 2 old friends who are back in the UK now, one in Liverpool, for cancer treatment. An old Irish friend had cancer treatment in Bumrungrad that cost £38,000, how many expats have that much spare cash? Another (very wealthy) friend made around 5 million Baht on a property, he ended up giving all of that to B'grad, according to a mutual friend.

Ciggies in Cambodia are way cheaper than in Thailand. Half a draft lager 50 cents in PP (is that about 18 Baht?), where will you get that in Thailand? Many expats are counting every penny.

Visas are also way easier in Cambodia,

• Like 1
  • Love It 1