Cancelling a Non-B at the airport, on the way out, or back in.

My Non-B expires mid May, and I have a multi re-entry.

I don't want to leave it until the final day to leave. I want to leave a week before and return on a 30-stamp.

Does anyone have experience of asking the IO at the airport to either cancel the Non-B on the way out, or ignore it on the way back in, and giving a 30-day stamp instead?

I don't need or want advice on staying in the country and changing visas, or asking my employer to cancel it in advance. I just need to know if it's possible to do at the airport on the way out or back in.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe you are aware of the following, maybe you don't care. Then maybe just see it as information for others who read this.

As far as I know, a Non-B visa has to be cancelled before applying for a new Non-B visa.

Some time ago I worked for one company and my Non-B visa expired on the day of my flight out of the country.

I knew already that I would apply for a new Non-B visa from another company in the near future.

Several knowable people advised me to cancel my existing Non-B before I departed from Thailand to avoid trouble getting a new Non-B later. The fact that I left the country on the day when the existing Non-B expired was no reason not to cancel it.

So maybe keep in mind that now there won't be a problem if your Non-B is not cancelled. But this might make things more difficult for you in the future. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe you are aware of the following, maybe you don't care. Then maybe just see it as information for others who read this.

As far as I know, a Non-B visa has to be cancelled before applying for a new Non-B visa.

Some time ago I worked for one company and my Non-B visa expired on the day of my flight out of the country.

I knew already that I would apply for a new Non-B visa from another company in the near future.

Several knowable people advised me to cancel my existing Non-B before I departed from Thailand to avoid trouble getting a new Non-B later. The fact that I left the country on the day when the existing Non-B expired was no reason not to cancel it.

So maybe keep in mind that now there won't be a problem if your Non-B is not cancelled. But this might make things more difficult for you in the future. 

Thank you.

I am not planning on another Non-B. I want a 30 day stamp for now, because I will leave Thailand again after a few weeks.

6 minutes ago, 2long said:

Thank you.

I am not planning on another Non-B. I want a 30 day stamp for now, because I will leave Thailand again after a few weeks.

i think you are confusing your work permit with your visa -->non-b is a visa. the visa automatically gets cancelled as you leave the country, but your employer, or you, must cancel the wp. you must then leave the country within 24hrs of cancelling the wp. you can get 7 day extension to buy you time...

Edited by Pouatchee

9 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:

i think you are confusing your work permit with your visa -->non-b is a visa. the visa automatically gets cancelled as you leave the country, but your employer, or you, must cancel the wp. you must then leave the country within 24hrs of cancelling the wp. you can get 7 day extension to buy you time...

Thanks, but not confused.

The work permit will expire on the 15th, but I prefer to leave a week before that and come back on a 30-day stamp.

If I didn't have a multi re-entry, I guess it would be simple.

However, what I don't want is the multi re-entry to be used and me only get a week (until the 15th).

I would like the IO to stamp me back in on a 30 day exempt stamp.

1 minute ago, 2long said:

However, what I don't want is the multi re-entry to be used and me only get a week (until the 15th).

I've had this type of situation in the past (although in my case I actually wanted the short stay coz I was visiting immigration the next day).

The incoming officer asked if I really did only want 2 days or would I rather have a 30 day exemption.

So, ask the officer on entry.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 2long said:

Thanks, but not confused.

The work permit will expire on the 15th, but I prefer to leave a week before that and come back on a 30-day stamp.

If I didn't have a multi re-entry, I guess it would be simple.

this changes everything and should have been in the op. i think once your wp is cancelled then your visa is cancelled too... so then your multi entry is void. i think 

1 talk to immi to cancel the multi entry

2. stay a week extra with a 1900bht 7 day extension then leave on the last day

• Like 1

Firstly, let's ensure we know EXACTLY what we are talking about.

You have:

1) a work permit;

2) an extension of your permission to stay based on working; and

3) a multiple re-entry permit allowing you to keep the permission to stay intact when you leave Thailand and return.

The correct procedure is to get a termination letter from your employer and take this to Immigration. Your permission to stay will be cancelled with effect from the last date of your employment shown on the termination letter. The re-entry permit will cease to be valid. Even after this, keep the termination letter as you never know when you might need to show it in future.

The work permit should be cancelled based on instructions to the labour department by your employer. You can leave the physical book (if you have one) with your employer.

After that, you leave on or before the expiry of the truncated permission to stay, and can return visa exempt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Firstly, let's ensure we know EXACTLY what we are talking about.

You have:

1) a work permit;

2) an extension of your permission to stay based on working; and

3) a multiple re-entry permit allowing you to keep the permission to stay intact when you leave Thailand and return.

The correct procedure is to get a termination letter from your employer and take this to Immigration. Your permission to stay will be cancelled with effect from the last date of your employment shown on the termination letter. The re-entry permit will cease to be valid. Even after this, keep the termination letter as you never know when you might need to show it in future.

The work permit should be cancelled based on instructions to the labour department by your employer. You can leave the physical book (if you have one) with your employer.

After that, you leave on or before the expiry of the truncated permission to stay, and can return visa exempt.

Thanks and yes to 1, 2, & 3.

I'll ask for the letter, and maybe visit my local immigration office, although Nonthaburi can be stubborn fckers sometimes.