Just opened a Pattaya Bank Account

Pattaya57

Years ago I had advice that fixed term accounts could not be used for the 800K B immigration money because the money had to be immediately available in an emergency. Having said that most fixed term accounts I've had allow you to access your money early for a small penalty. I'm hoping the immigration law has changed as it would be nice to get some interest on the 800K. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, elfpattaya said:

I have used this account for immigration for years at the Jomtiem office, no problems.

I presume this is the account where you can make a withdrawal twice a month without penalties. They charge 50 Baht for every withdrawal after.

No, its a fixed deposit account with interest paid monthly. No withdrawals unless you want to lose all your interest.

It's called "Special Time Deposit - 7 months". It's renewable every 7 months

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, AreYouGerman said:

You can even open a bank on a tourist visa. Just depends how far and how much you want to spend.

I was hoping for an agent free thread. We all know it used to be easy to open a bank account on a visa exempt or tourist visa but not in the last 5 years or so.

You can still pay an agent 4500 to get a bank account opened but there might be added costs for a Residence Certificate and useless insurance required

I was really happy the non-imm O seemed to be all powerfull in bypassing all that crap and bank account cost 0 baht

Edited by Pattaya57

2 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I was hoping for an agent free thread. We all know it used to be easy to open a bank account on a visa exempt or tourist visa but not in the last 5 years or so.

You can still pay an agent 4500 to get a bank account opened but there might be added costs for a Residence Certificate and useless insurance required

I was really happy the non-imm O seemed to be all powerfull in bypassing all that crap

Try to open a bank account in Cyprus or Malta without an 'agent'. I love the agent routes for all kind of stuff. It helps prevent unnecessary headaches.

Also, I wonder, are you saying people on tourist visas shouldn't be allowed to having a bank account? It sounds a bit like you wish that only Non-O visa holders should be allowed.

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

I just opened a fixed term bank account in Pattaya to use for my 12 month non-imm O extension and hopefully this info will be useful.

Note: while I already had a Krungsri savings account I was denied to open a fixed term account on my previous two trips on visa exempt and tourist visa.

I went to Krungsri in Central mall and as soon as I said I had a non-imm O they said no problem, you can open any of the foreigner accounts. I thought I might need a Residence Certificate but nope, all I needed was:

(1) Passport (they copied ID page and non-imm O stamp)

(2) 2nd photo ID. I used my Australian licence which they copied

(3) I needed to write down my full address in Pattaya and Australia which he entered on Computer (no proof required)

(4) mobile phone number

The guy even set up the account in my banking app for me so I was very happy with the service. This account also gives me 1.8% interest on the 800k baht so at least that's something compared to my 0.1% in the savings/ATM card account.

This makes me think getting a non-imm O e-visa before I came was well worth it.

wow, so much adventure!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Did they know you already had a savings account with them before opening the new account? May explain why it was so easy to open a second account.

No, I had shown my passbook on 2 other occasions while on visa exempt and tourist visa and it didn't make any difference as was denied both times.

So I just told them I'd like to open an account for inmigration and showed my non-imm O. He said no problem and asked for passport and 2nd photo ID. He then explained 3 accounts I could open.

Note: having a savings account already obviously helped in time to set up as my data was already in computer and already had bank app

Edited by Pattaya57

3 hours ago, Liquorice said:

I've used the Fixed term account for Immigration purposes for the last 11 years.

It's the term of the deposit that's fixed, not the funds which are immediately accessible.
You just lose interest if you withdraw prematurely.

Perfectly acceptable to Immigration.

Perfectly acceptable to Immigration at CM!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, elfpattaya said:

I have used this account for immigration for years at the Jomtiem office, no problems.

I presume this is the account where you can make a withdrawal twice a month without penalties. They charge 50 Baht for every withdrawal after.

It appears he has a different type of account that gives 1.8% not the mee tae dai that gives 0.9.% 

Edited by brianthainess

On 4/20/2024 at 4:13 PM, retarius said:

Well good luck to you.  Procedures change all the time here, and often they can be different at different offices. I'd like to be able to do the same thing.

I've successfully used a Bangkok Bank account in both Jomtien and Chanthaburi for my annual extensions. I can't recall how much interest it earns but it's not nothing.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 4/20/2024 at 3:58 PM, Pattaya57 said:

The guy even set up the account in my banking app for me so I was very happy with the service. This account also gives me 1.8% interest on the 800k baht

What is the name of this account ? I only know their Mee Tae Dai account at 0.9% I can only find 1.7% on 1 yr term deposit do they take the tax at source or at the end of the year?

The benefits with Krungsri bank is they can produce a years statement in 20 mins not 3+ days like BKB.

Edited by brianthainess

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What is the name of this account ? I only know their Mee Tae Dai account at 0.9%

Sounds like some kind of fund type account.

Edited by quake

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

What is the name of this account ? I only know their Mee Tae Dai account at 0.9%

Special Time Deposit - 7 months (renewable)

He offered me 3 accounts, the savings/ATM account, one that was 0.9% for 12 months and the 1.8% for 7 months

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Special Time Deposit - 7 months (renewable)

He offered me 3 accounts, the savings/ATM account, one that was 0.9% for 12 months and the 1.8% for 7 months

Thanks I just found it "special time deposit account"