Swiss Expat Critically Injured in Scooter-Car Crash in Pattaya

webfact

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Picture this...... you are travelling at 80km/h down Sukhumvit road behind richard_smith237, then all of a sudden richard_smith237 stops. Yes, I would stop, but most wouldn't. 

Indeed....   And then a Doctor is killed on a pedestrian crossing by a foreigner in his SUV...  his defence, 'but the other cars weren't stopping'.... 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

If you haven't travelled this road, you really shouldn't be commenting, this road takes a lot of traffic, travelling at speeds around 80km/h, mostly faster. Those stupid white lines should be placed on the side roads, coming off the train tracks. 

I get that - all junctions along that road are very poorly designed...  there are two options: 

1) Make the North-South roads (parallel to the railway lines) the primary road and 'East-West' roads secondary and have to give-way.

2) Or, put speed bumps and measures to slow the traffic on the North-South roads (parallel to the railway lines) because people have got into the habit of driving this road recklessly.

Given your comments [SAFETY FIRST] - it would make a log more sense to have the North-South roads (parallel to the railway lines) the primary road... remove the white lines, and place clearly mark 'stop / give way' at the junctions of the 'East-West' roads. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I agree.

It makes no sense people commenting on this thread who haven't travelled this road. 

You and I have, many times. 

But people here seem to think that they are still in there home country where things are black and white. 

As you mentioned in the past, the white line may be left overs from the past roadworks. 

This road is relatively new. 

The white 'give way line' exists on the other-side (south bound)... and on the other junctions...  

I agree with you that we have to adopt to some of the 'local styles of driving'....  but what we see here is two people driving / riding with 'local style' and both shooting through a junction without stopping with serious consequences - if either rider or driver applied caution, the accident would not have existed.

The junction is poorly designed and priority should perhaps be reversed - but that doesn't make those blasting through the junction correct, it makes it dangerous and causes accidents (as we have seen).

14 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I agree.

It makes no sense people commenting on this thread who haven't travelled this road. 

You and I have, many times. 

But people here seem to think that they are still in there home country where things are black and white. 

As you mentioned in the past, the white line may be left overs from the past roadworks. 

This road is relatively new. 

3 times so far today and atleast 1 more to go !

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The white 'give way line' exists on the other-side (south bound)... and on the other junctions...  

Can you please show me the signage that says give way ?

an actual pic if you will....as you clearly travel this road and pass that intersection often !!

14 minutes ago, transam said:

Read the road ahead, you scan for a problem, you proceed with caution..

The white SUV did neither, 100% guilty.......🥴

It's not easy to read the road when you have a projectile approaching at breakneck speed from your blind spot. This suicidal, psycho, madman, on his very small vehicle (by the way has no tax or insurance) would have scared that poor woman in the SUV. 

Some people here are making this woman out to be a monster, I feel sorry for her. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you blasting through the junctions at 80 kmh ???

Everyone does, if you don't YOU WILL MAKE THE HEADLINES. 

You stop or slow if there's vehicles in the intersection. 

I've got an idea, come down to Pattaya, drive this road and stop at the white line, good luck. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:
10 minutes ago, transam said:

Read the road ahead, you scan for a problem, you proceed with caution..

The white SUV did neither, 100% guilty.......🥴

It's not easy to read the road when you have a projectile approaching at breaking speed from your blind spot. This suicidal, psycho, madman, on his very small vehicle (by the way has no tax or insurance) would have scared that poor woman in the SUV. 

Some people here are making this woman out to be a monster, I feel sorry for her. 

Then you are not reading the road ahead at all....

Because, it doesn't matter what is on the junction or approaching the junction, you read the road ahead and slow for the blind junction at which legally you are supposed to give way to crossing traffic. 

Additionally, reading the road ahead...  the SUV was not even 'at the junction' when the Disability-Trike was in the junction...  

The Grey Sedan stopped and gave way. The SUV driver had no intention of stopping or slowing for anything that was in the junction - monster, of course not she made a mistake which could be fatal to someone else. 

You have consistently applied a binary approach to this incident...  Swiss-man riding like a madman / SUV driver innocent. 

The reality is different - yes, Id agree the Swiss-man rode without care or regard for his own safety. The SUV driver drove without care or regard for anyone else's. 

But... you take it a step further and suggest the Swissman is terrible for 'scaring' the woman in the SUV - but she was the one blasting through a blind junction (as it seems many do - but that doesn't make it right).

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you blasting through the junctions at 80 kmh ???

Sometimes Iam.. mostly 60 though.

on the odd occasion 120 too, really depends on the flow of the traffic and the speed of the vehicle in front.

• Agree 1

Everyone does, if you don't YOU WILL MAKE THE HEADLINES. 

You stop or slow if there's vehicles in the intersection. 

The Grey Sedan did just that - it slowed then stopped because it saw the Trike entering the junction. 

The SUV was not even at the junction when the trike was in the junction - so its clear the SUV drive didn't slow and stop when something else was in the junction. 

Where is the SUV ?????

image.thumb.png.8f4470dbe8df25023365c90d06aa9f74.png

I've got an idea, come down to Pattaya, drive this road and stop at the white line, good luck. 

As mentioned earlier - careful... It could be you t-boning someone at that junction next...   and you'll be legally at fault no matter how others drive that road. 

Do you stop at pedestrian crossings ?... ... or are you one of those foreigners here who have gone 'so far native' that they claim they never stop at a Pedestrian crossing because the car behind will crash into you....  ??

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Sometimes Iam.. mostly 60 though.

on the odd occasion 120 too, really depends on the flow of the traffic and the speed of the vehicle in front.

So you'll admit to driving 120 kmh on a road with a speed limit of 80 kmh though a blind junction....  

hmm...  I really hope you don't end up killing someone...   you are playing a game of chance. 

That area is clearly dangerous....  

22 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It's not easy to read the road when you have a projectile approaching at breakneck speed from your blind spot. This suicidal, psycho, madman, on his very small vehicle (by the way has no tax or insurance) would have scared that poor woman in the SUV. 

My advice is to change your username..........🤭

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

What blind junction ?

clearly you have zero knowledge of this road and the small soi crossings.

best you jog along and go annoy someone else.

What cars are coming from the left ????  - you can't see because of the buildings, its a 'blind junction'... 

And you are suggesting you'd drive through at anywhere between 60 and 120 kmh - you are a fool and a danger to everyone around you.

Hopefully it'll just be a truck that you t-bone and not an innocent motorcyclist or family in a small car.... but what I'm really hoping is that you learn not to be such a fool and drive with a sensible appreciation for the dangers around you so don't have an accident at all.

image.thumb.png.886784a6802e58da5f5f586c57deb45d.png

15 minutes ago, transam said:

My advice is to change your username..........🤭

And then learn to read the road ahead !!!   :whistling:

In fact, I'm sure he [SAFETY FIRST] is perfectly capable of reading the road ahead, he's just chosen to ignore the danger signs because the locals ignore them....

.... meanwhile in his job (I'm assuming HSE guy in a factory, ship or rig etc going by his username) he preaches the opposite of what he practices.

I get his point that he has to take into account of the manner in which locals drive for his own safety, i.e. not coming to an abrupt halt because the cars behind could drive into the back of you as the expect you to 'blow' through the junction at speed...   

... I understand what he is trying to say there... BUT... that junction can be seen way back, so there is no need to come to an abrupt halt, but it can be approached with a degree of safety such that one can stop IF someone is already on the junction.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Ralf001 said:

you are the same as a yappy little annoying dog snapping at my heels.... hopefully when the time comes for me to clean up an idiot on the bypass... Thai idiot is you !

haha - give over... as if you are the sort of person who'd stop and help at an accident !!... You'd be blasting through the junction killing those who had stopped to help..... 

And regardless of your disgusting sentiment wishing the death of a stranger, I conversely add, I hope you learn and don't end up killing anyone....    though I suspect your 'learning years' were very short lived.

• Thanks 1

Sat pic from 2015 had full white lines for all 4 entrance points, but what happens when an intersection is split by a rail track and no stop line or signal before crossing road no 2?
Does entrance no 1 allow the right of way to cross no 2?

Intersection.png

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

And then learn to read the road ahead !!!   :whistling:

In fact, I'm sure he [SAFETY FIRST] is perfectly capable of reading the road ahead, he's just chosen to ignore the danger signs because the locals ignore them....

What signs are ignored ?

5 minutes ago, THEN said:

Sat pic from 2015 had full white lines for all 4 entrance points, but what happens when an intersection is split by a rail track and no stop line or signal before crossing road no 2?
Does entrance no 1 allow the right of way to cross no 2?

For further info.

The solid red lines are the main road.

The dash yellow is the street.

The Swiss gent was on the street.

image.png.23455fab62c28f7858488a498b2862e8.png

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

haha - give over... as if you are the sort of person who'd stop and help at an accident !!... You'd be blasting through the junction killing those who had stopped to help..... 

And regardless of your disgusting sentiment wishing the death of a stranger, I conversely add, I hope you learn and don't end up killing anyone....    though I suspect your 'learning years' were very short lived.

20 years traveling this very road, have had several accidents... all I have been deemed not at fault by the police.

When the time comes I properly clean up someone... hopefully it is the annoying yappy little dog that has zero clue but likes to hear his own voice.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:32 AM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Pattaya —A Swiss expat in Pattaya is critically injured after being hit by a car while riding his three-wheeled electric scooter to buy medicine. His wife is seeking justice for her husband, claiming the other party refused to take responsibility.

According to the Thai wife, Mrs. Samrit Geisbuehler, the accident occurred on April 19th at around 9:50 AM as her husband, 73-year-old Mr. Andeks Geisbuehler, was on his way to purchase his regular medication. The incident was captured on CCTV footage, showing the car, an Isuzu Mu-X, colliding with Mr. Andeks’s scooter as he crossed an intersection on a road along a railway in the Khao Talo area, South Pattaya.

Mr. Andeks was rushed to the hospital with severe injuries and has been placed in the ICU. Mrs. Samrit revealed that she was disappointed with the alleged lack of support from the driver, who she claimed has not offered any words of consolation or financial assistance to her Swiss husband. 

By Aim Tanakorn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2024-04-22

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

image.jpeg

Unmarked junction priority is on the left.

• Agree 1

On 4/22/2024 at 5:45 PM, THEN said:

Some cars go 120-130kmh along these rail tracks.

Very bad design, where East/West traffic only have a stop line/signal before the first road = not after crossing rail tracks and meeting the 2nd road.

Right of way.png

Agree, very bad design but some here don't understand, refuse to acknowledge the unsafe road markings. 

Anyway, like I said earlier, it may encourage more psycho foreigners to try and outrun 2 tonne SUV's. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Given your comments [SAFETY FIRST] - it would make a log more sense to have the North-South roads (parallel to the railway lines) the primary road... remove the white lines, and place clearly mark 'stop / give way' at the junctions of the 'East-West' roads. 

Yep 

14 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is different - yes, Id agree the Swiss-man rode without care or regard for his own safety. The SUV driver drove without care or regard for anyone else's. 

But... you take it a step further and suggest the Swissman is terrible for 'scaring' the woman in the SUV - but she was the one blasting through a blind junction (as it seems many do - but that doesn't make it right).

I found some footage of the Swiss guy, in his younger days riding a bicycle. 

This guy has always been a suicidal maniac. 

For those of you obsessed by the white line, lots of white lines here. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

When the time comes I properly clean up someone... hopefully it is the annoying yappy little dog that has zero clue but likes to hear his own voice.

Sadly, there are too many of these type 

Lots of annoying, clueless, little yappies here. 

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

For further info.

The solid red lines are the main road.

The dash yellow is the street.

The Swiss gent was on the street.

image.png.23455fab62c28f7858488a498b2862e8.png

who says they are the "main road"?

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The Grey Sedan stopped and gave way. The SUV driver had no intention of stopping or slowing for anything that was in the junction - monster, of course not she made a mistake which could be fatal to someone else. 

You have consistently applied a binary approach to this incident...  Swiss-man riding like a madman / SUV driver innocent. 

You are missing my point, see the madman on his little vehicle travelling an unsafe speed through an intersection with some cars 100km/h, he is barely visible, that lunatic is trying to outrun a 2 tonne SUV, there's the problem. 

On 4/22/2024 at 11:51 AM, dddave said:

That intersection is impossible.  There is no clear "right of way" and it's always cars and bikes just forcing their way through.   Looking at the cctv image, impossible to determine who entered the intersection first.  I understand they can not have traffic lights there because of the near-by railroad tracks.  "Stop" signs mean nothing, nor do blinking red lights.  A perfect example of growth with no planning.

Such intersections are all over Thailand. What a simple way to use a bit of paint and some cheap road signs to indicate who should give way!