Swiss Expat Critically Injured in Scooter-Car Crash in Pattaya

webfact

26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

It is a side street entering a busy road. 

It crosses the train tracks. 

But does not contains markings to stop or give way at the junction, whereas the road the SUV was travelling along does.

Have you travelled on this road the SUV is on? It's a busy road, I'd say it gets similar traffic to the Sukhumvit. Do you give way to all side roads when travelling on the Sukhumvit?

Yes, when road marking and lights instruct to do so.,

I see these reckless foreigners on their disability scooters driving around Pattaya, breaking the law regularly. Have a look at the video, he travels through the intersection at speed without looking, was he suicidal? 

Agree…. Swiss guy was must certainly reckless…. As was the SUV driver…

The difference being the SUV diver didn’t slow or give way.

Would you travel through that junction just as the SUV driver did ?

The grey sedan clearly knew to give way. 

That poor woman driving the SUV, she was minding her own business, travelling at speed (its a main road, all traffic travels at speed) then suddenly, seeing this lunatic cross her path would have been very scary. 

That ‘poor woman’ in the SUV blew through a junction at speed - driving like that it was only a matter of time before she hit & killed someone. 

People need to be accountable, the Swiss guy racing through a busy intersection recklessly is very irresponsibile, he has no regard for the other road users. 

If the Swiss guy wants to hurt himself, don't affect others. 

SUV driver needs to be held accountable. she sped though a bling cross roads at a point the road makings instruct her to yield. 

If you drive in this reckless manner I hope you have a will, better still buy yourself a Kenworth truck, so when you shoot out of a side street recklessly, at a busy intersection, at speed, without looking you'll be protected

I don’t….    Do you drive like the SUV driver did ? 

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

as per the road markings and flashing red light (which I'm not sure was flashing at the time)

The light flashes red when the rail crossing is closed for a passing train.

Occasionally they will turned on (in all directions) flashing orange... not often though.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Nope, I disagree, the road parallel to the train line vehicles travel at speed limit through intersections. 

So, from what you are saying you would do as the Swiss guy did, travel at speed through intersection without slowing or looking. 

Probably why the roads are so dangerous, all the foreigners driving recklessly. 

I drive this area on the Darkside all the time. SAFETY FIRST is right, the vehicles traveling parallel to sukhumvit and the railroad tracks have the right of way over traffic that is crossing. SUV driver showed no caution or defensive driving skills, same with the Swiss man

Never assume that the cars will stop for you, especially when you are the only vehicle moving across. The intersections along the rail road tracks are complete dog <deleted>. TIT

Edited by tmax
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But does not contains markings to stop or give way at the junction, whereas the road the SUV was travelling along does.

where are the stop or give way signs ?

they must have been installed today after I came to work cause they weren't there this morning at 5am !

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

The light flashes red when the rail crossing is closed for a passing train.

Occasionally they will turned on (in all directions) flashing orange... not often though.

Good info thx….

Would the white SUV still have blasted through the junction on ‘flashing yellow’ ????

Impossible to prove, easier to predict - The SUV was being driven in a manner which shows no regard for anyone else who may get in their way. 

I’ll concede that the disability scooter was being ridden in manner with complete disregard for one’s own safety. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, tmax said:

I drive this area on the Darkside all the time. SAFETY FIRST is right, the vehicles traveling parallel to sukhumvit and the railroad tracks have the right of way over traffic that is crossing. SUV driver showed no caution or defensive driving skills, same with the Swiss man

Never assume that the cars will stop for you, especially when you are the only vehicle moving across. The intersections along the rail road tracks are complete dog <deleted>. TIT

SAFETY FIRST & You have birth assumed right of way because of ‘traffic behaviour’….

Road markings contradict this.  

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The idiocy of this response is astonishing even for a poster of Goats calibre.... 

This was a three wheeled mobility scooter....

I know who the idiot is.

If he had of been wearing a helmet driving through an interesection in a country famous for its dangerous roads then he probably would now be at home with a few scratches instead a racking up a huge bill in a hospital ICU.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

You writing and sane in the same sentence is funny.........🤭

Have you got that Luxury Villa photo yet......  😂

I didn´t expect you to understand that, and it´s why it´s funny to you. Very sad.

Regarding the rest, please keep to topic.

• Sad 2

53 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

they must have been installed today after I came to work cause they weren't there this morning at 5am !

He just makes it up to argue. Always for the farang.

If it had of been an elderly swiss driver in the SUV and a Thai without a helmet on he would have been ranting on about the Thai. 

Predictable

1 minute ago, Goat said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The idiocy of this response is astonishing even for a poster of Goats calibre.... 

This was a three wheeled mobility scooter....

I know who the idiot is.

If he had of been wearing a helmet driving through an interesection in a country famous for its dangerous roads then he probably would now be at home with a few scratches instead a racking up a huge bill in a hospital ICU.

I agree with you that the rider of the disability scooter approached and passed through this junction without the necessary concern or regard for his own safety.

But, what a lot of posters are ignoring the road behavior of the SUV driver who blasted blindly through the junction and are implying the SUV driver is not at any fault. 

Note: the Grey sedan yielded... Why? because that is the road regulation when approaching a junction with a fixed white line.

The SUV Blasted through the same junction at speed without any regard for the safety of others. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Plenty of pharmacies in that soi so that BS excuse aint gunna fly.

Sure, you know best. I just have 3 first hand experience of two cases with Thai friends and 1 case with a foreign friend. The outcome were exactly same, and as I explained,  in all 3 cases. But thanks for giving me the facts Ralf.

4 minutes ago, Goat said:
59 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

He just makes it up to argue. Always for the farang.

If it had of been an elderly swiss driver in the SUV and a Thai without a helmet on he would have been ranting on about the Thai. 

Predictable

Nope, thats your usual halfwitted prejudice floating into the fray... 

Had the white SUV approached the junction a second later it would have taken out the motorcyclist instead.

This is not a 'Farang-Thai' thing...   and had the SUV driver been a Foreigner, my opinion would not change and I'd be accusing a 'forigner SUV driver' of being at fault. 

The SUV driver blasted through a junction at which the driver should have given way - nationality does not come into this, driving behaviour and disregard for road rules does.

I agree that the Swiss-man on the disability scooter rode in a manner which shows a lack of regard for his own safety. 

The SUV driver drove in a manner which shows a lack of regard for anyone else's safety.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

, what a lot of posters are ignoring the road behavior of the SUV driver who blasted blindly through the junction and are implying the SUV driver is not at any fault

You really need to drive this road to understand the situation. 

The SUV was not speeding, she was driving the speed limit.

Most cars when travelling this road, are driving at the speed limit or faster because you are not expecting a projectile coming out of the side street. The side street has a level crossing, it's not easy to drive at the speed limit on the side street, it has train tracks, you would become airborne. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

This Swiss guy is your typical foreigner disability scooter guy. 

They seem to have no fear, looking for an accident. 

In the past on several occasions I have been held up and had to take evasive action by foreigners in Pattaya on these disability scooters riding in a dangerous, unfriendly manner. 

These scooters should be banned for use in Thailand.

They are useful in countries like Australia where the pathways and footpaths are disability friendly.

Is this a bias a prejudice against older disabled foreigners shining though ?

How are they supposed to get around ?...  If they want to live in Thailand, at some point they have little choice but to take a chance and ride their scooter on the road as the pavements are unnavigable....   In doing so, they take extra risk. 

I agree with you that if they are riding dangerously and carelessly they can be a nuisance, as can cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists etc...  but it seems your bias has blinded you that this SUV driver shot through this junction at speed without any consideration for who may be crossing and thats fine becasue of your misunderstanding that the SUV was driving along the primary road - it may be a 'larger road with more lanes' but it was not a primary road as denoted by the road markings...

The road the disability scooter was riding along is the primary road, the roadmarkings denote that the road running parallel to the railway tracks is the secondary road... In both directions, when the road meets a junction there is a solid white line which denotes a 'give way' point.... the SUV ignored this (and probably a lot of other drivers).

You need eyes and a working brain to handle the traffic in Thailand. On a bike or a 3 wheeler like this you're an easy target. 

He should have invested in a car. Don't fool yourself and think you will react in the same way you did when you were young and hansome. 

9 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

you  really need to know that a  solid white line is, its  a STOP line and all this drivel about "side road" is  irrelevant. Change your name to safety last, certainly hope you  dont ignore solid white lines when youre out. Anyone crossing that junction coming from the white suv side needs to stop, anyone who doesnt is a moron who should be locked up. Beggars belief on how you can see it any other way.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

you  really need to know that a  solid white line is, its  a STOP line and all this drivel about "side road" is  irrelevant. Change your name to safety last, certainly hope you  dont ignore solid white lines when youre out. Anyone crossing that junction coming from the white suv side needs to stop, anyone who doesnt is a moron who should be locked up. Beggars belief on how you can see it any other way.

Omg, it's Thailand and we have people commenting about lines etc. on roadways. 

So, because there's a white line on the road it's OK for a lunatic to ride his disability scooter at speed through an intersection without looking. 

3 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The SUV was not speeding, she was driving the speed limit.

The White line is a 'stop line'....    (with or without a sign)... the SUV was blowing through a junction it should have stopped at.

What you are suggesting is that because 'other traffic' breaks the law, it makes the road behavior of the SUV legal - it does'n't... 

Because others also do it' is not a valid excuse for traffic blowing through junctions at speed where they are supposed to give way.

Most cars when travelling this road, are driving at the speed limit or faster because you are not expecting a projectile coming out of the side street. The side street has a level crossing, it's not easy to drive at the speed limit on the side street, it has train tracks, you would become airborne. 

The markings are clear.....  

In the GoogleMaps Images below - its can clearly be seen that the traffic running north-south and parallel to the railway lines in both directions has to stop and give way to the 'east-west' traffic crossing the junction. 

There is no 'solid white line' for the 'east-west' traffic, because that is the designated primary road.

image.thumb.png.86362eb1d9302640ca1da9fb797eb22f.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 15.53.44.png

Screenshot 2024-04-23 at 16.03.04.png

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is this a bias a prejudice against older disabled foreigners shining though ?

How are they supposed to get around ?...  If they want to live in Thailand, at some point they have little choice but to take a chance and ride their scooter on the road as the pavements are unnavigable....   In doing so, they take extra risk. 

I agree with you that if they are riding dangerously and carelessly they can be a nuisance, as can cyclists, pedestrians, motorcyclists etc...  but it seems your bias has blinded you that this SUV driver shot through this junction at speed without any consideration for who may be crossing and thats fine becasue of your misunderstanding that the SUV was driving along the primary road - it may be a 'larger road with more lanes' but it was not a primary road as denoted by the road markings...

The road the disability scooter was riding along is the primary road, the roadmarkings denote that the road running parallel to the railway tracks is the secondary road... In both directions, when the road meets a junction there is a solid white line which denotes a 'give way' point.... the SUV ignored this (and probably a lot of other drivers).

Like I said, those disability scooters should be banned in Thailand, always annoying other tax paying road users. 

I'm not a fan of some bicycle riders, they are at times annoying but you don't see them doing the kamikaze through intersections. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, those disability scooters should be banned in Thailand. 

The users are annoying other tax paying road users. 

I'm not a fan of some bicycle riders but you don't see them doing the kamikaze through intersections 

So, all the old folk must suffer because you don't like the mobility chairs they have to use.........🤔

• Confused 1

Omg, it's Thailand and we have people commenting about lines etc. on roadways. 

So, because there's a white line on the road it's OK for a lunatic to ride his disability scooter at speed through an intersection without looking. 

No... Its not OK for anyone to ride through an intersection at high-speed....    

But, you seem to suggest its ok for the SUV to ride through a solid white stop line at speed without looking or paying attention to what is already on the junction. 

The road design here is also hideous and contributes to the incident... but the primary cause is the SUV not stopping or slowing and giving way to traffic already at the junction.

The SUV approached the junction at speed without any intention at all to stop... and as you can see from the image below... with the shops on the right the SUV was blind to any traffic approaching from its left - crossing this junction at any speed (from any direction) is lunacy.....  and for the SUV it appears illegal as it didn't give way to traffic on the junction.

Your argument SAFETY FIRST involves your belief that the road running north-south either side of and parallel to the railway tracks is a primary road and the road running 'East-West' and crossing the railway tracks is a 'side-road'...   

This is inaccurate - IF You were correct, the solid white 'stop & give way' road markings would be across the 'road along which the disability scooter' was riding.

image.thumb.png.5dd9d8a1dfd447bd683214c364cc5d93.png

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Like I said, those disability scooters should be banned in Thailand, always annoying other tax paying road users. 

I'm not a fan of some bicycle riders, they are at times annoying but you don't see them doing the kamikaze through intersections. 

A bit of 'whativery' here...  what if it were a motorcyclist crossing the junction, or a child running across ?

The SUV shows no intention to stop of slow down.... This driver will kill someone if they continue to drive like this.

The fact also remains - that the because a disability scooter is a vehicles for the disabled, it needs no licence or tax and no licence to ride it. 

Switching this up a bit, with a bit of whatifery...

What IF a Lorry were traveling 'East to West' (yellow arrow) across the junction, entering from the left and the SUV drove in the same direction, speed and manner 'North to south (red arrow) and didn't stop at the white across the road and impacted the lorry.... 

Who's fault then ? the lorry or the SUV ???  

image.thumb.png.8002dd07d406e202abcf5b33dda140cd.png

This may already have been said in this thread..

When driving in Thailand, vehicles yield to the right at intersections. This means that if you arrive at an intersection simultaneously with another vehicle, the one coming from your right has the right of way. 

This is a general rule, unless signs and markings tell you otherwise.

You can, however, and as we all know, not count on other drivers to actually follow this rule.

Edited by Excogitator
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

He's on a 3-wheel e-scooter, not necessarily a disability device.  Those can move upwards of 40 km/h.

He blew through the intersection without stopping.  Idiot.

White line/no white line..........no matter.  Bicycles and trikes and e-scooters should never assume right-of-way.

No vehicle should 'assume' right of way....        no vehicle should blow though a junction with that lack of visibility at that speed.

The Swiss-guy on the disability scooter should never have been crossing that junction at that speed, neither should a motorcyclist or cyclist etc... All should be crossing with greater caution.

& 100% the SUV driver should never be blowing through a blind junction at that speed without any caution or consideration for others. 

The swiss guy is complicit in the incidnt because he was not riding with full regard for his safety. 

But, IMO, the SUV driver as at fault for blowing through a blind junction at high speed (relatively) without any consideration for the safety of anyone else.

In many country's the SUV driver is charged with dangerous driving causing and accident and injury to others. 

The first car stopped so he was maybe thinking he could carry on, like he was on autopilot, that was his big mistake. 

There are 2 cars he should focus on, he should have slowed down and waited for the white SUV to pass and then continue the ride. If the other cars behind slows down. 

Edited by balo

3 minutes ago, Excogitator said:

This may already have been said in this thread..

When driving in Thailand, vehicles yield to the right at intersections. This means that if you arrive at an intersection simultaneously with another vehicle, the one coming from your right has the right of way. 

This is a general rule, unless signs and markings tell you otherwise.

You can, however, and as we all know, not count on other drivers to actually follow this rule.

Agreed.... And this rule exists for cross-roads where no markings or signage exists and the roads are of equal status. 

I've seen collisions at small cross roads where a bike is cleaned out by a pickup - both the bike and pickup riding through the junction without any intention to stop... 

In this case - there are road markings....     and yes, as SAFETY FIRST has pointed out, who bothers with road markings etc ??? 

But, as an accident occurred, the law comes into play and the SUV blew through a junction it was 'supposed' to stop at.

Equally, so, as SAFETY FIRST has pointed out, the Swiss-guy on the disability scooter was riding at a speed and a level of disregard for his own safety that makes him morally complicit in the cause of his injuries, although I'd argue, not legally responsible.