Swiss Expat Critically Injured in Scooter-Car Crash in Pattaya

webfact

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

They are legal to ride on the road now ?

Was there any pavement / side walk ???....         Its a mobility scooter so he was taking the only available 'route or path'... the same as a pedestrian would have to do.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Keep Right said:

Only idiots get on motorbikes or any other type of bike in Thailand. Motorbikes are a death wish. If I were the driver of the SUV, I would sue the idiot on the scooter for damaging my legal vehicle.

A true testament to your intellect !!!... 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, transam said:

Can you tell us the extent of his head injuries, can't find info on that......?

Can you find info of no head injuries? The poster also started with most likely. Something that probably most sane readers would agree with.

4 hours ago, ujayujay said:

In Thailand.......The left has priority over the right....what's so difficult about it?

Speed...   the scooter....  crossing the road at a junction...  just as pedestrians would...  

They don't go very fast - the three wheeled mobility scooter would have been in the middle of the junction before the SUV entered... 

The SUV just wiped him out.... 

4 hours ago, mancub said:

he grey sedan is either parked on or pulling out from the wrong side of the road and would have obstructed the view of the driver possibly to the extent that he didn't see the trike coming.

It's two lanes one way, other way is on the other side of the railroad.

1 minute ago, Gottfrid said:

Can you find info of no head injuries? The poster also started with most likely. Something that probably most sane readers would agree with.

He most likely had head injuries... So would a pedestrian or anyone else crossing the road... 

As per the photo posted by 'THEN' there is a fixed white line that would suggest the SUV had to yield right of way.

The location of impact suggest the SUV travelled into the junction while the 3 wheeled disability vehile was already crossing.

i.e. The SUV was travelling at speed with no intention to stop....   it would have hit any other motorcycle or anyone else crossing the junction because he was 'not prepared to stop' or didn't consider he needed to slow down at a crossing.

Rightofway.thumb.png.a60273e39ae37401ae79d0cd04ef9819.png

• Like 1

IF there is/was/ will ever be an application of Thai  road rules under  law then  it states that  a vehicle that  approaches a  4 way intersection a "give way to the right" applies unless controlled by  traffic lights  giving priority .

However the recent proliferation of small electric  vehicles that so many now inflict themselves arrogantly and dangerously do so illegally in any road traffic scenario.

Unfortunately in this situation the victim of injury is a foreigner and the SUV  driver I assume is Thai.

Outside of  a degree  of expected  humanitarian considerations the SUV driver is right .

In countries where electric buggies even for disability use are limited to specific  speeds on established footpaths , not roadways.

Here I have witnessed  3 up children intermingling with street traffic on such a unit  displaying an attitude of  legitimate correctness despite  several RTP advertisments stating  not !

But then again  motorcycle sidecars , roof-racks are illegal.

While I have sympathy  for the injured  Swiss  man I would like to understand why he thought to have the right to cruise through a broad intersection on a tediously slow unlicensed electric toy ?

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

So, is that a reason not to let the Insurance representative handle the case? As the driver apparently did. At the dismay of the other injured party?

I had 3 accidents with my car, and 1 of them was serious for the other party.

On all 3 accidents I let the insurance AND my lawyer handle the case.

If I would have left it to the insurance, I would be in fault and pay for everything.

Lucky, my lawyer didn't accept the crap from the insurer and I won 3 times 

But I accepted the offer from the police in the 3rd accident and let my insurance foot the bill (1st class).

No big change in my insurance the year after .

35 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The idiocy of this response is astonishing even for a poster of Goats calibre

The idiocy and total insensitivity of this response is astonishing even for a poster of Goats lack of calibre!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

While I have sympathy  for the injured  Swiss  man I would like to understand why he thought to have the right to cruise through a broad intersection on a tediously slow unlicensed electric toy ?

In much the same manner anyone walking down the road side would cross the road. 

As you pointed out, his disability-scooter is 'tediously' slow... so it would have taken time to cross the junction... 

When you look at where in the junction the 'disability-scooter' was hit, it becomes clear that it was already in the middle of the junction when the SUV entered the junction.

IMO - this is a clear case on an unobservant and speeding SUV driver who showed no intention of slowing at junction at which (given the road markings) it was his position (the SUV driver) to yeild.

• Thanks 1

Stupid is as stupid does and the guy on the scooter sure meets the definition of stupid. Some people do not value their lives, such as those that ride a motorbike in Thailand, therefore they suffer the consequences of their actions. I have no pity for the idiot.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhatMeWorry said:

Stupid is as stupid does and the guy on the scooter sure meets the definition of stupid. Some people do not value their lives, such as those that ride a motorbike in Thailand, therefore they suffer the consequences of their actions. I have no pity for the idiot.

Am  assuming he was a self righteous "<deleted> you all the world owes me" type of fella and expected everyone to yield to him riding illegally on his mobility thing.

play stupid games, win stupid prizes............. this lad hit paydirt !

Edited by Ralf001
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Ralf001 said:

Am  assuming he was a self righteous "<deleted> you all the world owes me" type of fella and expected everyone to yield to him riding illegally on his mobility thing.

I am really amazed at the way many foreigners behave in Thailand including riding motorbikes. Its like they leave their brains when checking in at Immigration upon entering Thailand. These foreigners would never behave like idiots in their own country, why here?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

A true testament to your intellect !!!... 

So true and Keep Right is a smart man for taking this issue to court. The idiot on the scooter will soon learn that stupidity has consequences.

• Confused 2

56 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The fixed while line indicates the SUV has to stop and yield for 'anything'....

The flashing red light (at that junction) also indicates the SUV has to stop and yield for 'anything'.... (although I can't be certain that the traffic light was flashing at that time).

What is clear is that the SUV entered the junction without being prepared to stop or yield for anything.... 

It could have been a kid on a scooter, a pedestrian, a cyclist, a motorcyclist, a samlor, someone pushing a cart, another car.... a person on a mobility scooter.... It doesn't matter what it is.... IF there is something already in the junction the vehicle approaching (from the same direction as the SUV) has to stop. 

I truly hope you do not drive....   

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 20.34.53.png

Thankyou, this clearly explains the situation now. I guess the SUV driver was your usual chancer for whom giving way would be a last resort. Assume the sedan was actually turning right which would still be a contributary factor in possibly shielding the slow moving trike from view.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

You don't see the Thai's riding them, they know better. 

I've seen plenty.  Normally on the pavement or going the wrong way down a street, completely silent so you don't know they're coming, weaving around people and taking them completely by surprise.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Mrs. Samrit revealed that she was disappointed with the alleged lack of support from the driver, who she claimed has not offered any words of consolation or financial assistance to her Swiss husband.

You would think that a Thai person would be more knowledgeable about Thai culture than this.

After watching the video - the only thing I do have to say is that the Swiss man was riding at the same speeds as the motorcycles - he should have been wearing a helmet....

Its clear the SUV just blew it through the junction without a single care for anyone else at all.... 

- Particularly when he had a clear view of traffic from the right

- And the view of any potential traffic from the left was blocked by the buildings

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 2

Omg, the Swiss guy is a complete idiot.

I've travelled over that level crossing (train tracks) many times, you never continue and drive over that slip road without stopping, it's a one way highway, those cars and trucks are travelling over 100km/h. The cars and trucks and buses don't stop at these intersections, you must stop, or slow and look before crossing, the Swiss guy just drives straight through just hoping for the best and fingers crossed, he's not even following other vehicles, this doesn't work when travelling on the roads. What a foolish thing to do.

Has he been checked, his mental health, was he suicidal? 

Seriously, I reckon he was having a bad day, maybe arguing with the Mrs, I see she's been proactive, looking for money, asking for compensation. 

It was the 19th, that was the biggest Songkran day here in Pattaya, it's weird that he's out and about, you prepare for the biggest Songkran, do necessities the day prior, never going out unless you want to party. 

I hope he recovers. 

Poor bugger. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

I've seen plenty.  Normally on the pavement or going the wrong way down a street, completely silent so you don't know they're coming, weaving around people and taking them completely by surprise.

Yes, I'm sure there's the odd one or two foolish Thais that drive these dangerous bikes but mostly in Pattaya it's foreigners, I see dozens everyday. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1