Swiss Expat Critically Injured in Scooter-Car Crash in Pattaya

webfact

21 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

Motorbikes are a death wish.

Especially when lacking a rear light at night. Even more when it's a moto with side cart attached. Can't remember ever seeing one that had two red lights (and both working).

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

If the Mux driver has an A1 insurance it the right thing to do to hande the matter over to the insurer.

Even with a class #1 car insurance, the payout in case of an accident has a limit.
As this guy is in ICU, the costs can reach the top of the payout very easy.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

No helmet does not imply automatic guilt.

Now he is certainly not looking for 'sympathy', but certainly for justice.

He was certainly careless, to follow what most motorbike drivers do here. Even If that does make him partly responsible for his injuries, he would still be entitled to justice.

Not only in a scenario where the victim would be a member of your own family.

Sympathy.... When someone feels a little emotional pinch at the sight of the oncoming accident...

What is the "justice" he is entitled to before the investigation is concluded?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Not legally required on an electric disability trike, or license needed.

Didn't read where it was an electric 'disability' trike; just a 3 wheeled electric scooter. Probably didn't have insurance on the trike scooter. He was well aware of the dangers of that street.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, dddave said:

I realize I don't actually know the "right of way" rules in Thailand.  My understandings are all from US rules based on "keep right".  Everything reversed here.  Do they follow the UK system?

Traffic furniture and lack of road markings dont help an already outdated set up, but spend billions  and the Thai driver will carry on regardless, the wifes daughter passed her test 10 years ago and still takes no notice when you try and explain the rules, 

e.g.      A new road layout locally has double yellow down the middle, when you ask why did she not take note, she explained, there was nothing coming !!!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, transam said:

Do you watch out for children, dogs etc when you are driving, ..🤗..........😉

Yes, I agree, these are hazards, it does not make sense to add more hazards to our roads.

These mobility scooters are designed for pathways, walkways, not roads. 

I'm sure they are not allowed on Australian roads. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mancub said:

What's with the other car in the pic ?  Why is it where it is, as it's certainly impairing the vision of others using the intersection.

OK, for the benefit of the confused........

the grey sedan is either parked on or pulling out from the wrong side of the road and would have obstructed the view of the driver possibly to the extent that he didn't see the trike coming.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

In Thailand.......The left has priority over the right....what's so difficult about it?

But not at roundabouts.....which for most locals is difficult !

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Confuscious said:

Even with a class #1 car insurance, the payout in case of an accident has a limit.
As this guy is in ICU, the costs can reach the top of the payout very easy.

U ought to be specific.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 14.59.20.png

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

Didn't read where it was an electric 'disability' trike; just a 3 wheeled electric scooter. Probably didn't have insurance on the trike scooter. He was well aware of the dangers of that street.

Same same no tax, license, helmet, or insurance required. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, I agree, these are hazards, it does not make sense to add more hazards to our roads.

These mobility scooters are designed for pathways, walkways, not roads. 

I'm sure they are not allowed on Australian roads. 

Useable footpaths in LOS, don't make me laugh.......😂

Trikes are no different to a moped, they have as much right as you to get to where they want to go.

I have no idea what happens in Australia regarding trikes.

In my area we must be on the lookout for cows, bulls and buffalo on the roads, and you are worried about trikes..........😂

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

In the UK you don't need a helmet on a 3-wheeler petrol or electric mobility scooter, do they here....?..............🤗

Can you tell us the extent of his head injuries, can't find info on that......?  🤔

It is not the UK here.

You need it if you get hit by a car and your head smashes on the asphalt.

Quite serious head injuries.

I wish him a full recovery.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

The normal handling of accidents by the Thai police is to blame the person with the 1-class insurance (experience) and keep everybody happy.

As for this particular accident, i would say that as crossing lights are not working the priority rules need to be followed and the car should stop for the motorcycle.

Ive knocked scooter riders arse over tit on the bypass numerous times when they think the can zoom straight through without looking.

Twice now when it was discovered the riders had no licence and the scoots had no tax paid.. both the police and my insurance told em to sling it.

what motorcycle should the car have stopped for ?

Edited by Ralf001
  • Confused 1

Just now, Goat said:

It is not the UK here.

You need it if you get hit by a car and your head smashes on the asphalt.

Quite serious head injuries.

I wish him a full recovery.

You got something right for a change, yes, it is Thailand.........😋

Pedestrians, electric scooters, you better start a campaign....🤗

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

U ought to be specific.

Screenshot 2024-04-22 at 14.59.20.png

You answerred your own question here.

The limit of the insurance pay-out would be 3 million baht (according to your post).
A few weeks in the ICU can be more expensive as 3 million baht

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I understand I'm going to upset a few members with my comments but I see these guys everyday, I often think to myself how dangerous it is. 

They are not roadworthy, no tax or insurance. 

A number of Thais riding these contraptions in Rayong. God I hate them. Its bad enough having MB's with sidecars idling down the road. Now we have to contend with these silent things.

• Agree 2

My experience is that – he who gets to the junction first - goes first.

(In the event of doubt, wait for acknowledgement from the other vehicle.)

Also, whether you are driving in RHS or LHS Country, always give way to the right.

Both ‘rules’ above could put the scooter rider on the right side of the argument?

But, as others post above, these scooters are a dangerous menace and are ridden at your own peril.

Expect to get run over and seriously injured, it’s only a matter of time.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some cars go 120-130kmh along these rail tracks.

Very bad design, where East/West traffic only have a stop line/signal before the first road = not after crossing rail tracks and meeting the 2nd road.

Right of way.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, John49 said:

Both ‘rules’ above could put the scooter rider on the right side of the argument?

Apart from the fact that thing is completely illegal to be ridden on public roads.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, THEN said:

Some cars go 120-130kmh along these rail tracks.

Very bad design, where East/West traffic only have a stop line/signal before the first road = not after crossing rail tracks and meeting the 2nd road.

Thats why when the bypass became dual carrigeway... they put traffic lights in at each intersection.

3 hours ago, Confuscious said:

You answerred your own question here.

The limit of the insurance pay-out would be 3 million baht (according to your post).
A few weeks in the ICU can be more expensive as 3 million baht

So, is that a reason not to let the Insurance representative handle the case? As the driver apparently did. At the dismay of the other injured party?