How to retire in Thailand

4 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Well if one has an abode, doesn't mind eating at home, there are numerous restaurants serving good quality and healthy foods too that can be delivered just about anywhere in country.  Several grocery stores selling local and foriegn foods say online that they will deliver within Thailand.  I for one don't eat the fast food type from any shop since there is healthy and hearty food everywhere (ALMOST). 

Don't know what your point was.  We dine in house, most meals, by choice, simply because we are good cooks.   Better than most restaurants, so much easier, and less hassle.  Cook is own of my joys in life.

I only go to restaurants to get out of the house, or for the rare items, I can't or won't make at home.  I would never order prepared meals online, to eat at home.   Rarely do we even order 'fresh made' delivery at hotels, when away from home.   We're not in 'local delivery area' for local vendors, and would never order out of Amphur or out of province prepared foods.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

....................logging onto a Thai forum 

I lived there for over 10 years.. Still have fond memories. But, Thailand is not a retirement destination for Western expats. I try to do my part.

Edited by Gknrd
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

....................logging onto a Thai forum 

Since not too safe to go out at night ... got to do something.   I hope he's there for work, as don't know I'd choose to go anywhere that I didn't feel safe to go out at night.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Since not too safe to go out at night ... got to do something.   I hope he's there for work, as don't know I'd choose to go anywhere that I didn't feel safe to go out at night.

Only in some areas. My area is very safe. You obviously have never traveled much.  Different in every country. Personally in the slums of Thailand it is pretty safe. Here it is not. In upscale or middle class areas it is very safe and very nice.

Edited by Gknrd

1 minute ago, Gknrd said:

Only in some areas. My area is very safe. You obviously have never traveled much.  

I have, to more than a few countries.   I just stay clear of bad areas, outside the USA.  Never an issue inside the USA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, gawd, I better pack my bags after reading that.............:saai:

I can tell you, I have many farangy friends that would respectfully tell you, you don't know what you are talking about............:coffee1:

Better stay where you are.  

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have, to more than a few countries.   I just stay clear of bad areas, outside the USA.  Never an issue inside the USA.

Curious, so you picked Thailand as a retirement destination?  Or just travel to Thailand occasionally?

Edited by Gknrd
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Better stay where you are.  

Indeed, I don't need a bloke who escapes back home telling me I shouldn't live in LOS..............😂

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:08 PM, BritManToo said:

Alternatively 400kbht in the bank and you can live off what you grow in your garden with no money at all required.

no, you cant live off tomatoes and cucumbers and street food

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

When did you last live here?

So if you no longer live here why are you posting negative comments here?

When is the truth negative? An honest objective opinion.  

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

6 minutes ago, transam said:

Indeed, I don't need a bloke who escapes back home telling me I shouldn't live in LOS..............😂

I don't care where you live?  haha

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, yes you do, read your posts.................🤗.................😃

Na, I really don't care where you live...

3 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So that is your erudite answer to my question "When did you last live here?" is it?

About 4 years ago. Was back last year for a few months. Until the pollution got to bad.  I still come back occasionally. Just to visit friends. But, let's face it. It's a shi$$ hole now.. This time of the year.

• Sad 3

24 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Curious, so you picked Thailand as a retirement destination?  Or just travel to Thailand occasionally?

Retirement destination, 23+ years now.  First visit Sept 1999, then stayed on 2nd visit / Sept 2000.

17 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

What colour are your blinkers?

Don't need blinkers when you carry a firearm.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

So why do you read this forum and post such derogatory remarks?

Not derogatory remarks, it is the truth..  ???  

People should know how bad it is.  Not just the good. 

Right now 40-44 C.  Air unbreathable. haha fact.  

Hence Shi$$ hole. 

A few months a year it is ok,

• Sad 2

On 4/23/2024 at 12:16 PM, CharlieH said:

It may be of interest to know that I had an O-A visa for several years, based, inter alia, upon 1,250K baht in a deposit account.

But then some years ago when going to renew it, I was asked "Do you have health insurance?"
"Yes," I replied.
"Is it with one of the eight approved companies?"
No, it was not.  I had not heard of the new requirement introduced, I think the previous April.
"Give me the details of the companies, and I shall take out the necessary insurance," I said.
"There is no time for that," I was told.  "They will not issue a policy within the fortnight when your visa expires."
"What can I do then?" I asked.
"We can issue you with an O visa which does not require medical insurance," came the reply.
So, since that time I have had an O visa.

Out of interest, I checked out the eight approved companies.
I discovered that none of them would insure a person of more than 75 years of age.  Except two of them, which would do so, for a certain number of years, if the person was already insured with them before the cut-off age.  The premium?  130K baht per annum, for the minimum cover of 40K outpatient and 400K baht inpatient expenses.

I was at that time some months short of my 76th birthday (and now almost 80).

Coincidentally, I was then, and still am, holding slightly in excess of 450K baht on deposit (in addition to the required 800K baht) to cover emergencies.

I would like to hold more of my reserves over here, but uncertainty of future Thai regulations regarding visa requirements, makes me feel it would be unwise to do so.

I have taken out here in Thailand an accident-only, inpatient-only insurance to cover 20K USD of costs.  The most I feel I can afford on my UK state pension, supplemented by drawings on my reserves.  Of course not enough to cover a serious accident, such as being knocked off my bicycle by a lunatic driver.  But then at my age I would probably not survive such an accident anyway.

On a separate note:

Regarding the costs of living in Thailand, it is necessary to specify whether one lives in a tourist-hotspot or in an area ignored by the foreign crowds.  The differences can be considerable.

Many might consider me a slum-dweller.  But I have slummed it in many places, beginning with five years as a native affairs officer in the New Guinea bush in the 1960s, and in the earlier years of this millennium living with expatriate Burmese on the Thai side of the border.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Gknrd said:

Not derogatory remarks, it is the truth..  ???  

Hence Shi$$ hole. 

A few months a year it is ok,

That crappy post does not answer my question!

It is "why do you read this forum and post such derogatory remarks?"

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Hence Shi$$ hole. 

“Right now 40-44 C.  Air unbreathable. haha fact.”

Air conditioners and air purifiers are available in Thailand. Haha fact. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

That crappy post does not answer my question!

It is "why do you read this forum and post such derogatory remarks?"

No need to get snippy Miss Scottie!

• Sad 2

On 5/2/2024 at 7:12 PM, Gknrd said:

Right now I am sitting in a western style condo in Colombia .  Backed up to a nice stream with lush , almost jungle.  Tropical birds singing . Temperature about 65 F. Clean air I can breathe.  Not as safe as Thailand after dark. But, extremely nice to say the least. Will be here 6 months then head back to the US.  Would not of been possible if I had sold out when I moved to Thailand. Different strokes I guess. 

Not to mention I can stay for 6 months hassle free on a tourist visa.

Just me I guess. I prefer clean air to breath, clean western style amenities and reasonable prices. 

Another smug <deleted> who can’t just get on with his life without having to denigrate Thailand. 

Enjoy Columbia champ. Thailand has more than enough places with “western style amenities” - generally vastly superior to Colombia unless you are in some rural backwater - and you can live in Thailand as cheaply or as expensively as you wish. I do understand the need for some basic savings to qualify for the long term visa might challenge a bloke like you but that doesn’t actually make it difficult. The smog issue is something Thailand has to deal with, we all know the causes, so hopefully they will resolve it soon enough. Just spent 2 weeks in Bangkok and it really wasn’t an issue but sure that’s definitely a determinant 🙄

For absolute clarity, no issue with anyone choosing to live anywhere but the need to come into this forum for a bit of a Thai drive by suggests you either have issues with missing the place or you just have issues that you probably need to address. FRO 🙂 

• Like 1