1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't work just now in Pattaya, two 7 Elevens, did you try there?

7-Eleven Thailand only accept True Money app and credit cards (not debit cards) over a certain amount, i think it's 300 Baht. I've never tried Google Money in Thailand as I have iOS (not supported).

24 minutes ago, george said:

7-Eleven Thailand only accept True Money app and credit cards (not debit cards) over a certain amount, i think it's 300 Baht. I've never tried Google Money in Thailand as I have iOS (not supported).

Your previous post was confusing

"Google Pay and Google Wallet works fine in Thailand and in most countries, but only if you have an Android phone"

Also someone further up claimed to have used it in 7 Eleven

2 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Google wallet? where?

In Bangkok, many times, but note in some branch only a few machine/till are mastercard only, whereas regular machine are visa/mastercard+others  even before they put the minimum back up to 300 baht back in the middle of last year

only time I find it didn't work is with some supermarket edc where it must be linked to the cash register and the underground trains 

26 minutes ago, digbeth said:

In Bangkok, many times, but note in some branch only a few machine/till are mastercard only, whereas regular machine are visa/mastercard+others  even before they put the minimum back up to 300 baht back in the middle of last year

only time I find it didn't work is with some supermarket edc where it must be linked to the cash register and the underground trains 

you tapped the contactless with your phone?

5 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Google Wallet is replacing Google Pay. The main difference between the two apps is Wallet allows you to load a cash balance as well as emulate your credit/debit/loyalty/boarding cards. Google Pay was accepted in any shop that accepts contactless card payments. I used Google Pay, with my Wise card, at 711, Lotus's, Big C and Bangrak (Esso) but I haven't upgraded to Wallet yet so I don't know if the cash side of it can be used in the same way. This is the question the OP asked. He didn't ask if cash or credit card is best! 

Thank you for SOMEONE! finally posting on the actual topic/question posed by the OP!!!

• Like 1

I was just fiddling with the apps on my Android phone, which already had G Pay installed, but pretty much unused.

When I went to install Google Wallet from the Play Store, there was a message saying the GP U.S. app will "no longer be available starting June 4." I assume that means in the Play Store, dunno what it means for use on my phones.

At any rate, I was able to install Google Wallet on my main phone along with Google Pay, and set up both for tap to pay using one of my U.S. debit cards... And it seems the Android phone has to be NFC capable and enabled in order to make contactless payments.

Now for finding some unsuspecting Thai merchant to be my tap to pay guinea pig!!!!   🙂

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Try paying for something when the internet is down or electric is out.  Cash will always be King.

Thats always the myopic argument...  Try paying for something with cash when the cash register power is out....  Try getting cash from an ATM when the power is out..... etc etc  - I could go on and on, but you get my point....    mentioning the possibility of a rare flaw does not make the whole prospect 'a negative' or poorer.......

... Or, to use an argument closer to your 'brain-waves'....  Just because someone mentions something great about ICE's, it does not make EV's any poorer....   and a lot of the arguments utilised to justify Cash payment does not make e-payment any worse....

3 hours ago, george said:

It would be good to get Google Wallet on an IOS device so we can add local cards to it and use it as we would ApplePay.

(Unfortunately ApplePay and Thailand are not aligned at the moment - most likely due to a certain 'major business family' blocking the use of ApplePay so that they could continue to encourage TrueMoney - they somehow missed Google Wallet).

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It would be good to get Google Wallet on an IOS device so we can add local cards to it and use it as we would ApplePay.

(Unfortunately ApplePay and Thailand are not aligned at the moment - most likely due to a certain 'major business family' blocking the use of ApplePay so that they could continue to encourage TrueMoney - they somehow missed Google Wallet).

and Apple and Google doesn’t like each others when it comes to wallets and payments 😎

55 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats always the myopic argument...  Try paying for something with cash when the cash register power is out....  Try getting cash from an ATM when the power is out..... etc etc  - I could go on and on, but you get my point....    mentioning the possibility of a rare flaw does not make the whole prospect 'a negative' or poorer.......

... Or, to use an argument closer to your 'brain-waves'....  Just because someone mentions something great about ICE's, it does not make EV's any poorer....   and a lot of the arguments utilised to justify Cash payment does not make e-payment any worse....

Depending where you live in TH, it might be annoying enough to always have a few 1000 baht on you.   Though plenty of wet/fresh markets and ma/pa shops that don't rely on electric.

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Didn't work just now in Pattaya, two 7 Elevens, did you try there?

No, not in Pattaya.  Bangkok, Ubon yes, maybe some more, I have the idea it's down to staff awareness rather than anything else as I have experienced the first line staff having to seek advice from above to get it working.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

Depending where you live in TH, it might be annoying enough to always have a few 1000 baht on you.   Though plenty of wet/fresh markets and ma/pa shops that don't rely on electric.

And that chappy, a repeat of the very point I was attempting make earlier...  Just because there may be an occasion when one doesn't function, it doesn't mean the other is better....  eg. what if they don't have change for a 1000 Baht......    

30 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Most vendors at markets have mobile phones and will happily take PromptPay (QR payments).

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

I doubt 7-eleven accept Google Wallet.

And vendors who accept Mastercard also accept VISA cards, as it's included in their banks merchant account.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

Can anyone tell me why or how using Google Wallet is any better/easier than simply tapping your debit card?

Same except you can have multiple cards on there, maybe the benefit is no need to carry cards. Personally my cards are in UK so i load the details on Google wallet 

Edited by scubascuba3

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Same except you can have multiple cards on there, maybe the benefit is no need to carry cards. Personally my cards are in UK so i load the details on Google wallet 

I don't find it difficult to carry a card but a card can be used for online purchases without physically having it with you. I have come across a couple of places in Thailand that didn't accept either of my visa cards and on those occasions I had to use the K Bank scan feature.  That has only happened in Thailand though, in the UK just about everywhere accepts a visa card.  I'm guessing here but the places in Thailand that wouldn't accept my cards probably didn't have card machines due to transaction fees.

I'd actually rather not have K Bank, or any other banking application on my phone as I don't consider a mobile phone as secure but I was having problems getting One Time Passwords from Kasikorn when I'm in the UK.  Kasikorn suggested that I use the K Bank App and that did indeed solve the problem.

I just don't see the point of all these electronic wallets etc. Surely all it does is complicate things and make it more difficult to keep track of things?  Surely you have to have a bank account in order to load money on to those wallets?  I'm struggling to see the benefits.

When in Thailand though, I mostly use cash.

10 hours ago, george said:

I doubt 7-eleven accept Google Wallet.

And vendors who accept Mastercard also accept VISA cards, as it's included in their banks merchant account.

They don't have to, it works just like most emv cards, just ask to pay by credit card, and tap the phone to the edc

in 7-11s with multiple cashier, there are 'normal' credit card edc machine usually silver ones, but in bigger 7-11 I noticed there are like 2 'normal' one and one black one that says mastercard only for that particular till, maybe they're trialing cheaper merchant rate to be mastercard only. In big place like homepro you can see multiple edcs from multiple banks as they try to juggle to get the best deal 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

you tapped the contactless with your phone?

Yes, to save the cashier's confusion just say you're paying by credit card

Google wallet even works with my Thai Bangkok Bank's card

• Like 2

On 4/24/2024 at 4:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Anybody actually used Google Wallet? if so which shops accept it?

It is a bit of a confusing topic. I have been using Google Pay for some years and found it quite useful. Google Pay came from a merger of Google Wallet and Android Pay but the wallet never actually went away.

Looks like Google wallet has been revamped and now taking over from Google Pay.

My understanding is that the new version of the wallet provides a contactless facility on an android phone for your cards so should work in any establishment that accepts contactless payment.

Anywhere that you find Google Pay or contactless payment logos, you can make contactless payments with a supported form of payment that you stored in Google Wallet.

https://support.google.com/wallet/answer/11951709?hl=en#zippy=%2Cwhats-the-difference-between-google-wallet-google-pay%2Ccan-i-use-google-wallet-to-tap-to-pay

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Surely you have to have a bank account in order to load money on to those wallets?  I'm struggling to see the benefits.

When in Thailand though, I mostly use cash.

The only card I have on Google is my UK credit card, no loading required.

I also only use cash here, my card is only to get cash from ATM. When I lost my ATM card at least it was protected by the pin number, contactless cards are very vulnerable.

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

I just don't see the point of all these electronic wallets etc. Surely all it does is complicate things and make it more difficult to keep track of things?  Surely you have to have a bank account in order to load money on to those wallets?  I'm struggling to see the benefits.

Google Pay/Wallet and Apple Pay is just a way to have your phone act as credit card, it's easier for people that has their phones about them can tap their phone to pay instead of pulling out cards from a wallet, some even leave their cards at home

You'd need a passcode or biometric like fingerprint to unlock the phone in order to use, unlike physical cards where if you tap the contactless below certain value it just approves without need for PIN

Google Pay/Wallet also shows the detail of what you spent and where in the app which might be easier to keep track of than going through paper statements or via the Bank's App

You're correct in that there is no benefits to load money into other electronic wallet if you already has bank accounts and credit/debit cards

wallets like Truemoney is more for people without access to Banking like kids, they can receive money from friends online and top up their wallet in cash at 7-11s to buy things or pay for games and stuff online service without needing bank accounts or credit cards

With the advent of Promptpay you can already use Thai bank accounts to send and receive money to other people with no fee, but this wasn't always the case, TrueMoney wallet has been around for decade now and was at one time popular with certain audience.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Can anyone tell me why or how using Google Wallet is any better/easier than simply tapping your debit card?

Your card numbers are never revealed to the merchant. They only see a google transaction number. Same with Apple Pay. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tuktuktuk said:

Your card numbers are never revealed to the merchant. They only see a google transaction number. Same with Apple Pay. 

That's also why it doesn't work with Bangkok underground trains while physical cards are ok, when you tap in, it could present a unique number and not match when you tap out 

Same with shops that link their POS till with the EDC terminal, if you tap with physical cards they send out credit card number to the shop's own POS terminal to store, but tapping with phones don't, or the number sent out is not what the POS accepts as credit card number 

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

it's easier for people that has their phones about them can tap their phone to pay instead of pulling out cards from a wallet, some even leave their cards at home

Correct! Lots of people on here live in remote villages so cash works best for them, but for a lot of city folk these days the days of carrying around cards, cash and wallets are long gone. 

Need cash? No problems. Use your phone for contactless ATM withdrawals. 

Loss of electricity or connectivity at the shop or ATM? No biggie as it rarely happens, but if so, go to another power grid area within your city where supply is unaffected. 

Lose or have your phone stolen? No problems, automated daily Cloud backups ensure everything is effortlessly downloaded onto your new phone. 

Technology…life is good 👍 

Edited by Nemises
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Cloud backups ensure everything is effortlessly downloaded onto your new phone. 

Technology…life is good 👍 

Is it really?  Do you have any idea how much electricity cloud storage uses?

4 hours ago, tuktuktuk said:

Fair enough, so there's a security benefit - although the hackers seem to be able to get around anything, given time which is another reason why I'm not too keen on many things 'digital'.

5 hours ago, digbeth said:

Google Pay/Wallet and Apple Pay is just a way to have your phone act as credit card, it's easier for people that has their phones about them can tap their phone to pay instead of pulling out cards from a wallet, some even leave their cards at home

So that's a big no from me then.  Having witnessed a 'Moped Theif' snatch a young girl's phone out of her hand just a few days ago, I'm even more convinced that I don't any things to do with banking on my phone.

Edited by MangoKorat