On 4/24/2024 at 11:48 AM, george said:

7-Eleven Thailand only accept True Money app and credit cards (not debit cards) over a certain amount

They do accept debit cards, just not from Thai banks, with the exception of UOB.

On 4/25/2024 at 1:01 AM, MangoKorat said:

Surely all it does is complicate things and make it more difficult to keep track of things?

It makes it simpler, because you can have most of your cards always with you on the phone (a shame that Thai banks do not support ApplePay, likewise with Rabbit or the MRT card).

You can often also add your boarding pass, tickets, and other things to your “wallet app”, for example in Japan you can also add a travel card to your wallet app, top it up via the wallet app, and then just tap your phone when using public transport. They even have an “express mode” so you won’t have to activate your phone first, just put it near the sensor, and you’re done.

For payment cards though, the main advantage, apart from not having to bring the proper physical card with you is, that it never asks for PIN. A regular contactless payment card will ask for PIN either when amount is above a certain threshold, or if you haven’t used the PIN in a while.

Edited by lkn
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 4:42 AM, digbeth said:

That's also why it doesn't work with Bangkok underground trains while physical cards are ok, when you tap in, it could present a unique number and not match when you tap out 

Using wallet app in other countries for public transport works fine, see e.g. Transport for London.

I think it is just yet another stupid policy move, like 7-Eleven not accepting PromptPay or Thai debit cards (except UOB).

Edited by lkn

On 4/24/2024 at 11:38 AM, scubascuba3 said:

anyone use it in Thailand?

Try reading the reviews on Google wallet on Google play download...Very bad reviews.....I can not even download Google wallet on a Samsung Galaxy 8 in Thailand.

2 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Try reading the reviews on Google wallet on Google play download...Very bad reviews.....I can not even download Google wallet on a Samsung Galaxy 8 in Thailand.

that may be to do with the phone and playstore. I have google wallet

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

that may be to do with the phone and playstore. I have google wallet

I had no problem DLing Google Wallet from the Play Store lately...

But my Google account is identified in the U.S., not Thailand, which may make a difference in what is shown as available.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:56 AM, Nemises said:

So, you live in a village in Nakon

nowhere where technology doesn’t exist. Now go to the local market where they still accept your cash. 🤣

as in China, every seller in our local market, about 15km from the center of Khon Kaen had a laminated qr or two tangling upon string ready to be scanned. 

Interestingly enough, the wife tried to buy a couple of doughnuts as we were leaving Thai Watsadu last week, Dunkin’ have a little portacabin shop in the carpark. Cash not accepted, scan only. The managment don’t want the trouble of collecting and banking cash, no need to trust the sole employee with cash - the truck just drops

a few trays of doughnuts off in the morning, the shop runs itself - seems like an efficient business model.

Agreed. Cash was king. 

On 4/26/2024 at 11:31 AM, Nemises said:

Suggest you replace your so-called “easily unlocked” Samsung with an iPhone because not even the FBI could  unlock an old (1995) 5C iPhone with a 4 digit passcode in this famous case where the iPhone’s owner shot and killed 14 people and injured another 22. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple–FBI_encryption_dispute#:~:text=Apple's iOS 8 and later,surveillance without the company's discretion.

Propaganda. They are like 'use this phone, even we can't unlock it' and you're like 'yeah, my consumer phone can't even be hacked by the FBI!!!!' and I am like 'lol'.

6 hours ago, AreYouGerman said:

Propaganda. They are like 'use this phone, even we can't unlock it' and you're like 'yeah, my consumer phone can't even be hacked by the FBI!!!!' and I am like 'lol'.

And I’m like ‘yeah sure, whatever you reckon 👌’   lol