4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Loss of electricity or connectivity at the shop or ATM? No biggie as it rarely happens, but if so, go to another power grid area within your city where supply is unaffected. 

You naturally assume that we all live in cities?  Some of us think more of our health than living in those filthy, polluted, congested places.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

The only card I have on Google is my UK credit card, no loading required.

I also only use cash here, my card is only to get cash from ATM. When I lost my ATM card at least it was protected by the pin number, contactless cards are very vulnerable.

Agreed, I also use cash as much as possible in the UK. Any form of payment where you don't see the money actually leaving you risks you losing track of what you spend.

I do like the Kasikorn notifications system though - each time I use my card or a Direct Debit/Transfer goes out (or in), I get a notification of that transaction and an up to date balance.

17 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Is it really?  Do you have any idea how much electricity cloud storage uses?

Rather than hijack this thread, please create a new thread about “cloud electricity consumption” and share your knowledge about it. Looking forward to it!

2 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Rather than hijack this thread, please create a new thread about “cloud electricity consumption” and share your knowledge about it. Looking forward to it!

Almost certainly sarcasm but on the off chance that you are serious, just Google it.

9 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

You naturally assume that we all live in cities?  Some of us think more of our health than living in those filthy, polluted, congested places.

How wrong you are.

You must have missed the bit where I said “Lots of people on here live in remote villages …”

Do try and read what’s said before making false statements. 

15 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Interesting outlook - apart from the fact that a lot of the time to countryside is more polluted than the cities due to all the burning... 

Careful where you cherry-pick your arguments, its not as binary as you assume and there is often a contradiction to be made....  

• Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

So that's a big no from me then.  Having witnessed a 'Moped Theif' snatch a young girl's phone out of her hand just a few days ago, I'm even more convinced that I don't any things to do with banking on my phone.

That also concerns me - although the biggest concern I have if getting my phone snatched is the value of the Phone Itself as all the Digital / Mobile Banking stuff is secure with Two Tier Authentication and Face ID....  (and I can wipe the phone remotely - but that itself is imperfect, i.e. phone can be turned off and taken to an area outside of cell network etc).

But, the other hassle, and would be a huge hassle is getting any new device authenticated for the Banking apps etc (and all other Apps).

Edited by richard_smith237

38 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

But, the other hassle, and would be a huge hassle is getting any new device authenticated for the Banking apps etc (and all other Apps).

Wasn’t much of a hassle for me. I recently got a new phone. There were two Banking apps on my old phone (KTB & BKK). KTB reinstalled perfectly from my Cloud backup without any authentication whatsoever (I was amazed!), whilst BKK gave three different ID authentication options (per screenshot) needed before the app started working again. 
Can’t speak for other Banking Apps. Wouldn’t be surprised if hassles occur. 

IMG_6380.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's actually not too bad. My wife had to go through the process recently after losing her phone. AIS killed the existing SIM and gave her a new one, same phone number, so armed with another phone and the new SIM she was able to set up her bank apps easily enough. I think a different story with a new phone number.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

Agreed, I also use cash as much as possible in the UK. Any form of payment where you don't see the money actually leaving you risks you losing track of what you spend.

I only do contactless in the UK or when travelling, and only use the Wise card. They send an email within seconds of the spend which is quite handy.

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(and I can wipe the phone remotely - but that itself is imperfect, i.e. phone can be turned off and taken to an area outside of cell network etc).

If you can’t wipe the phone remotely because let’s say it’s taken to an area outside of cell network, how do the thieves unlock the phone if you they need your Face ID and/or passcode?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nemises said:
5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(and I can wipe the phone remotely - but that itself is imperfect, i.e. phone can be turned off and taken to an area outside of cell network etc).

If you can’t wipe the phone remotely because let’s say it’s taken to an area outside of cell network, how do the thieves unlock the phone if you they need your Face ID and/or passcode?

Exactly - and if the wrong Passcode is entered in too many times the phone wipes itself anyway.

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Interesting outlook - apart from the fact that a lot of the time to countryside is more polluted than the cities due to all the burning... 

Careful where you cherry-pick your arguments, its not as binary as you assume and there is often a contradiction to be made....  

Air quality comes close to the top of the list when choosing where I live.  However, as with many things, it can be wise to compromise. For me, the compromise is between pollution and convenience.  I don't want to be miles away from shops and facilities etc. but I certainly would want to breathe the air in Bangkok for example. I'm not keen on carbon monoxide.

14 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Air quality comes close to the top of the list when choosing where I live.  However, as with many things, it can be wise to compromise. For me, the compromise is between pollution and convenience.  I don't want to be miles away from shops and facilities etc. but I certainly would want to breathe the air in Bangkok for example. I'm not keen on carbon monoxide.

Where are you that has clean air and convenience ?

9 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

although the biggest concern I have if getting my phone snatched is the value of the Phone Itself

The value of my phone is very little, I believe I paid 5500 baht for mine and it does all I want it to.  A friend always buys the latest iphone and pays a gazillion baht for them. I'm yet to see him do something with his phone that I can't do with my cheapie.

We all, to a greater or lesser extent, rely on our phones for so many things these days.  I choose to keep that to a minimum but even then, losing the content on my phone would be a major inconvenience. I periodically transfer photos and documents from my phone to my laptop but it would still give me major hassle if I lost it or it was stolen.

For now, I think I can live without things like Google wallet although I'm aware things are changing fast. I doubt that cash will become obsolete in Thailand in my lifetime.  The Revenue Department is currently looking for additional income and if/when they start looking closely at the financial activities of the millions of Thai's that claim to earn less than the tax threshold, I think cash will see a resurgence.

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Where are you that has clean air and convenience ?

When I'm in Thailand, between Pak Chong and Khao Yai - currently on and off but I'll be making the move later this year.

Currently far enough away from Mitraphap not to smell the petrol and diesel fumes but near enough for Lotus and Makro to be 10 minutes away.  However, I'm within 500m of the new M6 motorway and I will reconsider things when that opens - I have a potential move under consideration.

When I bought my current home, a major consideration was that its well South West of Pak Chong and the prevailing wind is also South West.  I'm rarely exposed to any air pollution from the city area.  Its also not a big Sugar Cane/Cassava area, I've never seen any crop waste burning locally.

The downside of that its that Bangkok is also South West and I have on occasion noted a slight yellow haze. As I say, its a compromise, if I wanted the cleanest air possible, I probably wouldn't choose Thailand at all. As with many things, the Thai government does a lot of talking about air quality but in reality, does very little.

Edited by MangoKorat

3 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The value of my phone is very little, I believe I paid 5500 baht for mine and it does all I want it to.  A friend always buys the latest iphone and pays a gazillion baht for them. I'm yet to see him do something with his phone that I can't do with my cheapie.

There's an advantage to both...   The newer / higher end iPhones have much better cameras and are faster, better security etc compared to a 'cheapie'....

But, there's also an advantage that carrying a cheaper phone around, 'we are not owned by the things we own' (i.e. we are not scared of losing it).

We all, to a greater or lesser extent, rely on our phones for so many things these days.  I choose to keep that to a minimum but even then, losing the content on my phone would be a major inconvenience. I periodically transfer photos and documents from my phone to my laptop but it would still give me major hassle if I lost it or it was stolen.

At some point the phone will be all we'll need... It'll start our car, open our house, we'll use it for payments, for ID....   

But... what if the phone has an issue...    We'll need the real keys....   I also think we'll need to have real cash and all places need to be able to take cash (by law) because cash is the backup if the E-systems cut out.... and should be the option if we simply 'want to use cash'... 

As much as I support E-payments for the convenience, I'm also in firm support that cash remains accepted everywhere. 

For now, I think I can live without things like Google wallet although I'm aware things are changing fast. I doubt that cash will become obsolete in Thailand in my lifetime.  The Revenue Department is currently looking for additional income and if/when they start looking closely at the financial activities of the millions of Thai's that claim to earn less than the tax threshold, I think cash will see a resurgence.

Having an iPhone I can't get GoogleWallet and ApplePay won't work with local cards here.....      But, whenever I am in overseas places that accept ApplePay, the convenience is brilliant...    I know its just the difference between getting a card out of a wallet, tapping and confirming the transaction...  but the phone is often closer at hand than the wallet, and thus picking up the phone, Face ID to open, double-tapping power to bring up wallet and tapping on the Point of Sale device.....    it actually sounds like a lot of effort, but for a Gen Y&Z its a single movement... 

Its kind of like going from a car with a normal key....

... to a car with a key-fob to unlock...

.... to a car with keyless entry...

.... to a car with Keyless entry and ignition...

..... and now to a car that we can enter with our phone...   It'll become the norm just as other norms have passed before, such as credit cards, contactless payment.....

I absolutely agree with your revenue dept comment - for sure people will want to fly below the radar...

I hope cash doesn't become obsolete in my lifetime - all payment options should be on the table, cash and e-payment, but as you imply, people may not want e-payment if the info takes them above tax thresholds... 

Someone should design a currency that can't be traced easily....  something not controlled, something with no head office, or specific centre of information and power.. something that can be everywhere at once.... sort of decentralised...   hmm...  

Would Thailand make Crypto illegal ???

19 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I absolutely agree with your revenue dept comment - for sure people will want to fly below the radar...

I won't rattle on about that too much as we're way off topic but I've seen clear evidence of Thai's hiding their actual income.

A few years ago I bought some jewellery at a gold shop and when I attempted to pay with my Thai debit card, I was told they'd have to charge me an extra 3% (I think 3) for using my card. I questioned this because that usually only applies to credit cards. I ended up paying cash.

A few days later whilst at my local Kasikorn branch, I asked the assistant manager if they charged businesses for debit card transactions. I was told that they don't.  I raised the matter of what happened at the jewellery shop, he told me that's normal - "they do under the table sir".  As it happens, the jewellery shop also banked with Kasikorn and he told me that the man in question regularly comes in to the branch and deposits large amounts of cash into his personal account. So he actually records his potentially (almost certainly) tax evading income but thinks its safe in his personal account...........bah mak!

They clearly aren't checked (yet) like we are in the UK - black money is black money and must stay that way.  If the RD gets serious, and I suspect they will - as I say, I suspect cash will start to become more popular again.

12 hours ago, MangoKorat said:

So that's a big no from me then.  Having witnessed a 'Moped Theif' snatch a young girl's phone out of her hand just a few days ago, I'm even more convinced that I don't any things to do with banking on my phone.

If the victim’s phone was locked (like most are) then any banking data on her phone would not have been available to the thieves. 

12 hours ago, Nemises said:

If the victim’s phone was locked (like most are) then any banking data on her phone would not have been available to the thieves. 

Hardly,  are you not aware of how these people operate?  They choose people who are on their phones at the time so they're not likely to be locked.

In addition, a guy in a phone shop opened my locked phone in a few seconds - he wouldn't show me how he did it. Probably by entering some code or other and you can bet your bottom dollar that phone thieves will have access to that information.

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

Hardly,  are you not aware of how these people operate?  They choose people who are on their phones at the time so they're not likely to be locked.

Mango... you are jumping to some conclusions and stretching to projecting what you would do if you were a phone thief to justify your preference not to use 'electronic payments' with your phone... 

6 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

In addition, a guy in a phone shop opened my locked phone in a few seconds - he wouldn't show me how he did it. Probably by entering some code or other and you can bet your bottom dollar that phone thieves will have access to that information.

This, I'm interested in - the idea that all of the security, face ID, numbers, two tier identification etc is a complete sham and all phones are readily accessible to anyone with a special code.....    If this is true I'm taking all the crypto and banking apps off my phone !!!

The reality is though - even with access to an 'open phone'...    is there access to the Banking Apps, ApplePay, Google Wallet etc ?

All my apps still need further face ID (or my passcode) to work even when the phone is open. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

I'm surprised of this, no one in tukcom could unlock a friend's phone, of course can easily do a factory reset. A bigger risk is if someone uses an SD card and doesn't encrypt it so everyone 

18 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

This, I'm interested in - the idea that all of the security, face ID, numbers, two tier identification etc is a complete sham and all phones are readily accessible to anyone with a special code.....    If this is true I'm taking all the crypto and banking apps off my phone !!!

Its absolutely true - it was done as I stood there.  The phone was a fairly basic Samsung - around a 2020 model with a 6 digit lock code.  I'm presuming he entered some sort of code, he wouldn't let me see but he had my phone for less than 2 minutes. This was at the Samsung Repair Centre in Leeds UK.

Think about it though - if thieves couldn't gain access to phones or they had to re-install software, the phones they steal would be worth very little.

Look at the software that car thieves have now - many keys can be copied as long as they're close enough to the computer with the software on it. They also have devices that can 'read' car keys from just outside your house and then relay that reading to another device being used to start your car.  Each time security of any sort is upgraded, the bad guys find a way around it.

Edited by MangoKorat

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

In addition, a guy in a phone shop opened my locked phone in a few seconds - he wouldn't show me how he did it. Probably by entering some code or other and you can bet your bottom dollar that phone thieves will have access to that information

Suggest you replace your so-called “easily unlocked” Samsung with an iPhone because not even the FBI could  unlock an old (1995) 5C iPhone with a 4 digit passcode in this famous case where the iPhone’s owner shot and killed 14 people and injured another 22. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple–FBI_encryption_dispute#:~:text=Apple's iOS 8 and later,surveillance without the company's discretion.

Edited by Nemises
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Nemises said:

Suggest you replace your so-called “easily unlocked” Samsung with an iPhone because not even the FBI could  unlock an old (1995) 5C iPhone with a 4 digit passcode in this famous case where the iPhone’s owner shot and killed 14 people and injured another 22. 

Fully aware of that - as you say, it was a famous case at the time. But no thanks, I don't want an iphone.

However, and I have no intention of getting into an argument on this but just as the FBI couldn't crack that iphone, Whatsapp claim their messaging is 100% end to end encrypted. Yet there are reports that the Mossad, the Israeli Intelligence agency, gained access to Whatsapp messages on over 1400 phones.

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

no one in tukcom could unlock a friend's phone, of course can easily do a factory reset.

Whilst a factory reset is possible, you are not able to reinstall anything onto an iPhone that is still linked to the original owner’s Apple ID account!

I found this out myself when a friend gave me his iPhone 10 for me to use as a spare. I easily reset it but could go no further without his Apple ID passcode because he still had “find my iPhone” turned on. 

I understand there are so-called “tricks” available to workaround this problem. Not sure if they work or how much they cost - refer link below

Edited by Nemises
  • Confused 1