Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

51 minutes ago, MicroB said:

Fake news. In 2010, 50% of UK pensioners pay tax. Now about 66% of you lot  in the UK pay tax. Pensions are taxable income. People just make up cobblers to suit their own prejudices.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/23/pensioners-paying-more-income-tax/

Fake back. Your linked article is a projection. Right now the full UK pension is below minimum  tax threshold. No tax on the state pension as is.

• Agree 1

Thos policy was first introduced in 1946.

After Brexit the situation remains up in the air even for pensioners in EU.

Oddly enough, it is not in place for pensioners in the USA, but is in Canada and Australia.

Pensioners in Thailand should have seen this coming as it is nothing new.

Tge pension in 2000 was about £67 whereas now it is around £220. This is still tiny compared to countries like France and Germany.

Even on £220 per week, pensioners still have to pay for healthcare.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Tell them you live in the Philippines then you get full pension!

So you tell them you live in the Philippines but please send money to my Thai bank account?

10 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

free NHS treatment ( which in my case would be quite expensive),

Certain health conditions are still treated by the NHS if you live abroad. I have a great relationship with my hospital and fly back once a year for tests and tablets.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Wobblybob said:

I think that is a possible answer to those willing to think outside the box. I did an internet search and it's possible to open a Philippine bank account on line without even going to the Philippines. Surely finding a Philippine address can't be that difficult. 

If caught falsifying your place of residence your pension payments would cease. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Wow ok 24yrs ago.

Sounds like piss poor planning from those whinging about it now !

Not really. Life is now, tomorrow never comes

I have empathy for those hit with this.. but.. (as a non-UK national) it SEEMS like this issues was known in advance .. and if so, then I have to acknowledge this fact (ie it was known to people in advance) and that’s something quite different as opposed to say the government instituting a brand NEW rule that adversely impacted retirees.. 

• Like 1

At least the British old age pension is not means tested so everyone gets it. The Australian old age pension is means and asset tested and anyone who has worked hard to generate a modest independent income in retirement will not receive it.

Plus, any independent income will be taxed at a flat 33% if living overseas.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The problem lies in the UK Government’s position to freeze state pensions for its nationals living in non-European countries like Thailand.

The United Kingdom is a founding member of the United Nations yet they go against the U.N on the principles of equality and discrimination.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

If I was in the UK, I would receive an uprated Pension , Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Winter Fuel Allowance, free NHS treatment ( which in my case would be quite expensive), a Bus Pass and probably other benefits and allowances. It should easily double, and more, what I cost the state!

You would get a lot unless you have been frugal and  invested  your savings then kiss all that pension credit and stuff good bye as I know .. grrrr

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Wow ok 24yrs ago.

Yes. And hardly any knowledge of the basics in economics.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Wow ok 24yrs ago.

its well over 24 years.  its been like this about 70 years, always been like this.  the wingers should have known about this.

• Sad 3

7 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

The United Kingdom is a founding member of the United Nations yet they go against the U.N on the principles of equality and discrimination.

What makes you think pensions are under the remit of the UN? Yes it’s in my view unfair,but an internal fiscal U.K. matter.