Frozen pension policy turns British expat's dream into a nightmare

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:
2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Tell them you live in the Philippines then you get full pension!

I think that is a possible answer to those willing to think outside the box. I did an internet search and it's possible to open a Philippine bank account on line without even going to the Philippines. Surely finding a Philippine address can't be that difficult. 

Providing DWP with copies of the Philippines in and out stamps in your passport proving that you are living there for the required number of days will be if you're not living there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

AI writes it.

Thanks.I hadn't seen the announcement.Intelligent people will draw their own conclusions on these cobbled together arrangements but no more on the subject as that might be considered "disrespectful".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

If I was in the UK, I would receive an uprated Pension , Pension Credit, Housing Benefit, Winter Fuel Allowance, free NHS treatment ( which in my case would be quite expensive), a Bus Pass and probably other benefits and allowances. It should easily double, and more, what I cost the state!

sounds like a compelling reason to move back home unless the tan hotties and sunshine outweigh the lack of freebies. :wai:

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

interesting:

Most British Commonwealth countries are included in the frozen list;[8] these include countries, such as Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand and India, as well as British overseas territories such as the Falkland Islands.[9]

Wonder if Thailand knows the Brits claim it.

from here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_state_pension

No. Australia does not have a frozen pension. It's indexed. Getting it, however, is not easy. Can't be bothered explaing. Look it up. 

Edited by dinsdale
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Pouatchee said:
2 hours ago, mrwebb8825 said:

Most British Commonwealth countries are included in the frozen list;[8] these include countries, such as Australia, Canada

cant find anything to back what you said about canada. link please.

Not hard to find evidence if you search the question...

The following is a list of all the Frozen countries

Countries where English is an official, or widely spoken, language are shown in Red.

Afghanistan

Congo, Democratic Republic (Zaire)

Jordan

Papua New Guinea

St Helena & Deps

Albania

Cook Islands

Kenya

Paraguay

St Lucia

Algeria

Costa Rica

Kiribati

Peru

St Martins

Andorra

Cuba

Kuwait

St Vincent and the Grenadines

Anguilla

Djibouti

Laos

Qatar

Sudan

Antigua

Dominican Commonwealth (Dominica )

Lebanon

Rebublic Of Georgia

Surinam

Argentina

Dominican Republic

Lesotho

Republic Of Armenia

Swaziland

Ascension Island

Ecuador

Liberia

Republic Of Azerbaijan

Syria

Australia

Egypt

Libya

Republic Of Belarus

Tahiti

The Bahamas

El Salvador

Macau

Republic Of Kazakhstan

Taiwan

Bahrain

Ethiopia

Madagascar

Republic Of Kyrgyzstan

Tanzania

Bangladesh

Falkland Islands + Deps

Malawi

Republic Of Moldovia

Thailand

Barbuda

Faroe Islands

Malaysia

Republic Of Turkmenistan

The Russian Federation

Belize

Fiji

Maldives

Republic Of Uzbekistan

Togo

Benin

Mexico

Republic Of Yemen

Tonga

Bhutan

The Gambia

Monaco

Rwanda

Tours

Bolivia

Ghana

Montserrat

Trinidad and Tobago

Botswana

Greenland

Morocco

San Marino

Tunisia

Brazil

Grenada

Mozambique

Sarawak

Turks & Caicos Islands

Brunei Darussalam

Namibia

Uganda

Burkina Faso

Guatemala

Nepal

Saudi Arabia

Ukraine

Burma

Guinea

Nevis, St Kitts Nevis

Senegal

Uruguay

Cambodia (Kampuchea)

Guyana

New Caledonia

Seychelles

Vanuatu

Cameroon

Haiti

New Zealand

Sharjah

Venezuela

Canada

Honduras

Nicaragua

Sierra Leone

Vietnam

Cape Verde Islands

Hong Kong

Niger

Singapore

Virgin Islands (British)

Cayman Islands

India

Nigeria

Solomon Islands

Central African Republic

Indonesia

Norfolk Island

Somalia

Zambia

Chile

Iran

Oman

South Africa

Zimbabwe

China

Iraq

Pakistan

South Korea

Colombia

Japan

Panama

Sri Lanka

European Economic Area Member States

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You wonder if Thailand knows that Britons claim what?   There is a semi-colon after the phrase "in the frozen list".

I believe if you read it correctly, it lists examples of the countries as it states, "these include countries such as..." indicating that the heading; "Most British Commonwealth countries".

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

Another incompetently written story, repetitive and omitting several key factors.Who writes this stuff and equally importantly who undertakes quality control?

That Mike Lister seems to know what he's talking about, they should give it to him to do.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:
9 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Providing DWP with copies of the Philippines in and out stamps in your passport proving that you are living there for the required number of days will be if you're not living there.

Do you have a link for your assertion please Lou? 

There was a video on the subject posted a day or so ago explaining  the documentation that the International Pensions Section of the DWP requires to evidence residency.  You don't seriously think that they would just take the best part of half a million frozen pensioners' word for it, do you?!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:
31 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

You wonder if Thailand knows that Britons claim what?   There is a semi-colon after the phrase "in the frozen list".

I believe if you read it correctly, it lists examples of the countries as it states, "these include countries such as..." indicating that the heading; "Most British Commonwealth countries".

I know what it says, how it is written and what that means, it does not state that Thailand is a Commonwealth country as I suspect you are suggesting.

"Most British Commonwealth countries are included in the frozen list;    these include countries, such as Australia, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Thailand and India..."

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Wobblybob said:

I think that is a possible answer to those willing to think outside the box. I did an internet search and it's possible to open a Philippine bank account on line without even going to the Philippines. Surely finding a Philippine address can't be that difficult. 

The problem is that is a “cunning plan” that even Baldrick would balk at. Countries are increasingly communicating with each other and swapping information on citizens. It’s only a matter of time before that ruse catches up on you and you’ll end up being prosecuted for fraud … not to mention having to pay back the extra with penalties, fines and interest. Simply not worth it.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Stupid comment. Even the middle class is feeling the pinch with costs there.

all I did was offer an opinion on another poster's post. someone pee in your morning beer?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
28 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:
35 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Do you have a link for your assertion please Lou? 

There was a video on the subject posted a day or so ago BY YOU explaining  the documentation that the International Pensions Centre of the DWP requires to evidence residency.  You don't seriously think that they would just take the best part of half a million frozen pensioners' word for it, do you?!

Here's your own link!...

https://youtu.be/LfJcTLIMsUA?si=VWHcaLsgMSLmpK1E

11 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

all I did was offer an opinion on another poster's post. someone pee in your morning beer?

I guess there are opinions and ill thought out opinions. As for someone peeing in my beer are talking about Thai beer ? If so hard to tell.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Wobblybob said:

Not at all, I am trying to research this injustice and reading 'he said she said' doesn't help in anyway, it would be nice to get hard facts instead of the usual negativity. I am not prepared to lie down without at first trying to find a solution to this and doing as much I can to resolve this ridiculous situation for myself at least, if other people wish to walk down the corridors of "we're all doomed" that is entirely up to them! 

The only way “around it” in my view is if the UK change the rules. But if they choose not to change the rules I think you won’t find a way around it without getting yourself in a great deal of trouble, and that will be more financially painful than a frozen pension. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why would you assume that?...

I was asking you for a link to your post. Stop avading my request, you either have one or not! 

46 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

37 minutes ago, AlexRich said:

The problem is that is a “cunning plan” that even Baldrick would balk at. Countries are increasingly communicating with each other and swapping information on citizens. It’s only a matter of time before that ruse catches up on you and you’ll end up being prosecuted for fraud … not to mention having to pay back the extra with penalties, fines and interest. Simply not worth it.

Well, someone could just go and live there for a few months.  It would definitely get the required upgrade done.  Some folks would definitely be quids in, and might even decide to stay.

• Confused 1