Scooter - Automatic vs Semi

Hi, it's been several years since i've regularly driven an automatic.  Back then fuel consumption was terrible compared to a semi-automatic. 

Friend recently told me that there's no longer much difference.  True?

There are still difference, semi-auto can do up to 70-80km/litre while 125-160cc autos are  around 50km/litre 

bigger autos like 300+cc would be lucky to get around 20km/litre 

but if you ride fast a lot more than slow, it might be more economical to go with autos, modern ones with 4 valve and water cooling can happily do 90-120km/hr. speed while semi autos would struggle beyond 90

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A 160 Click does around 45-50km per litre, that equates to very little baht a week

A Wave 125 can do 70km/litre both has similar sized tank around 5.5litre, the Wave would have range of around 385km, while the click is at 275km, at the current price of 40baht per litre, it's .50 baht per km for the Wave and 1 Baht per Km  for the Click, realistically the 220baht to fill up the tank will last most commuter around month easily, the savings only makes sense for delivery driver if  you only look at fuel consumption 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Honda MSX 125 'Grom', Honda CT125 and Honda Monkey are full manual with a clutch.

This post may get more replies in the Motorcycle forum?

CT 125 has semi-auto like the C125/Wave

• Agree 1

The cost of gas although higher tank size is minimum in comparison.

Ive driven 125 wave, guess it depends on your age and use. Here in Thailand it seems cost is a factor especially for males.

Ive owned a Click original 110, now a PCX 150, close to 200,000 K, if folks call it a scooter so be it but I would never go back.  

It isnt the fuel it is the overall experience and the technology of the bike the Wave or shifter shakes and rattle.

20 hours ago, bang saen guy said:

Which mini bikes are auto? Which are manual? Never ridden anything smaller than 750. I know that Brits hate manual shift in cars. I assume the same applies to mini scooters

Rubbish. I love manual gearboxes in cars and so do my mates. A manual gives you better control over a car if you are an experienced driver. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Asquith Production said:

Rubbish. I love manual gearboxes in cars and so do my mates. A manual gives you better control over a car if you are an experienced driver. 

Not in Pattaya or Bangkok traffic..

• Thumbs Up 1

What I always like about Waves and Dreams and semi,s in general is the simplicity. You can just ease off the throttle and push the gear lever and shift or depress I the lever and before letting your foot ease off the pressure use the throttle to match reves. Quite simple a clutch is engaged untill you ease up on the lever completing the sequence. I alway found them fun to ride.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 12:22 PM, bang saen guy said:

Many  English friends

I never had an automatic until I lived in Thailand now I love Automatics.

Automatics were not widely available in the UK or OZ more of an American thing IMO.

Depending on the Terrain of where you live, using a standard auto Scooter say on Koh Chang  is not easy up or down, having to drive flat out on approaching a steep hill, and the decent not being able to change down a gear, to slow down, compounded with a pillion.

dashcam.jpg.e9e04f3c4600db95486696c18cdf0460.jpgdashcammotorbike.jpg.c6e79b24be36cd0677624608044ca4d9.jpg

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Depending on the Terrain of where you live, using a standard auto Scooter say on Koh Chang  is not easy up or down, having to drive flat out on approaching a steep hill, and the decent not being able to change down a gear, to slow down, compounded with a pillion.

dashcam.jpg.e9e04f3c4600db95486696c18cdf0460.jpgdashcammotorbike.jpg.c6e79b24be36cd0677624608044ca4d9.jpg

That's probably bad riding, i had no problem on Koh Chang with Click 125

22 hours ago, findlay13 said:

I don't know if this is relevant to you but a semi can use a bit of engine braking.I have no idea of autos.

On autos you have to open the throttle a bit to have any engine braking, not advised to go down big hills unless you know what you're doing 

6 hours ago, brianthainess said:

dashcam.jpg.e9e04f3c4600db95486696c18cdf0460.jpg

When you drive on the wrong side of the road, it does not matter what you drive. That pic shows a typical Tourist not used to drive on the left side. Most probably without any bike experiance either. 

To the OP, I would not bother with manual or semi. Get youself an automatic. Much motr relaxing, specially in haevy traffic. That little bit of exra it needs will not be noticed anyway. If that would financially consern you, then you better go back home or buy a pushbike. 

• Haha 1

Fuel consumption of automatics like a Click can be a bit higher because the engine revs quicker and people tend to use more throttle as you can just floor it and forget about the rest. People who drive semis tend to drive slower and the engine doesn't rev to the max immediately when opening the throttle. So it's not exactly the engine itself which causes a difference in fuel consumption. You can drive very efficiently on an auto just as well.

But as said the difference in consumption is quite low nowerdays so as long as you are not a taxi or delivery driver who does hundreds of km per day every day and are tight on money, it really doesn't matter much.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 4/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, findlay13 said:

I don't know if this is relevant to you but a semi can use a bit of engine braking.I have no idea of autos.

22 hours ago, digbeth said:

On autos you have to open the throttle a bit to have any engine braking, not advised to go down big hills unless you know what you're doing 

Both auto and semi-auto us a centrifugal clutch to pull away from a standstill. On both, this clutch will disengage below its threshold rpm. So the scoot needs a minimum speed to keep the clutch engaged when going downhill. Any difference between the speeds of the two types will be a difference in the lowest gear available. Auto have a slightly higher low gear than semi so will need to go a bit faster downhill to keep the clutch engaged. On my scooter above about 18 kph.