Kasikorn K-Plus Bank App Users Can Now Make Cardless Withdrawals at Bangkok Bank ATMs

16 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Reciprocal too, nice, I don't have a BBL handy. Thanks for the heads up.

Attempted a withdrawal from a KBank ATM with the BBL app, everything is fine until it scans the QR code. "Unrecognized QR code MK12"

Maybe the roll out isn't complete as previously mentioned, or maybe I lucked out inside some downtime.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fondue zoo said:

Attempted a withdrawal from a KBank ATM with the BBL app, everything is fine until it scans the QR code. "Unrecognized QR code MK12"

Maybe the roll out isn't complete as previously mentioned, or maybe I lucked out inside some downtime.

Maybe a temporary QR glitch, i had one yesterday

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Is that supposed to be possible? The OP mentions that K-bank users can withdraw from BKK bank machines? But I didn't see anywhere that the reverse is true.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JayClay said:

Is that supposed to be possible? The OP mentions that K-bank users can withdraw from BKK bank machines? But I didn't see anywhere that the reverse is true.

Yes, the BBL app was updated to allow for ATM Cardless Withdrawals from partner banks in March.

They display only KBank as an option. KBANK atms also have the option, Cardless Withdrawals > Other Banks. Only BBL is displayed.

I'll test it again, when the sun goes down on me.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:
20 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

nteresting, thanks, 5.18.2, thought that they updated automatically.

EDIT: Turns out that the update is happening gradually, not for all customers at the same time.  30% already updated the rest by May 3rd, according to Kasikorn just now.   You must be one of the privileged ones!

It's possible apps don't get updates if you don't have the Thai playstore as the default. I switch between UK and Thai. I had 5 thai apps pending update from April

Coincidence, got the K+ "cardless to BBL" notification and the update this morning.

20 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

The K+ app has not notified me of the alleged "new feature", just checked now.  There is no reference to BBL on the K+ cardless withdrawal section, either.

Are you on the latest version of the K-Plus app? It was updated on April 25. Version 5.18.3

The app updated to .3 this morning and I received the notification of the cardless-to-BBL facility also. 

2 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Yes, the BBL app was updated to allow for ATM Cardless Withdrawals from partner banks in March.

They display only KBank as an option.

"Withdrawals from partner banks..."

The BBL app refers to "our partner bank", not banks, so, yes, only Kasikorn.

The option to withdraw from a Kasikorn account at BBL ATMs has been there for at least a month and was briefly discussed here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1323429-dealing-with-forgetfulness/page/2/

I don't know when the option to withdraw from a BBL account at a Kasikorn ATM went live, but the couple of times I've tried it I've received an error message regarding the QR code being the wrong format or something similar.

ETA:  Could be user error as I've just worked out the extra step required on the app.

Edited by treetops

1 hour ago, treetops said:

The option to withdraw from a Kasikorn account at BBL ATMs has been there for at least a month and was briefly discussed here:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1323429-dealing-with-forgetfulness/page/2/

I don't know when the option to withdraw from a BBL account at a Kasikorn ATM went live, but the couple of times I've tried it I've received an error message regarding the QR code being the wrong format or something similar.

ETA:  Could be user error as I've just worked out the extra step required on the app.

Were you charged a fee to use a KBank ATM with a BBL account? Was the KBank ATM in the same province as your BBL account? 

4 minutes ago, Everyman said:

Were you charged a fee to use a KBank ATM with a BBL account? Was the KBank ATM in the same province as your BBL account? 

My withdrawal failed with an error message as mentioned, but I see another stage is required now in the app that I hadn't noticed before so it may well have been down to me.  The screen on the BBL app clearly says no fee up until that point.  I'll try again in the next few days now that I think I know what I did wrong.

The ATM and account are in the same province and I have done regular card withdrawals at that ATM before with no fee so I don't expect any.

6 hours ago, ianguygil said:

There is really a lot to answer here and I will just give a few comments and won't respond to individual posts. Too busy...

The Channel most affected by the move to Digital in the past years is the ATM. Volumes of cash withdrawal and things like Bill Payment have dropped hugely. Some banks are just not offering ATM's and are moving to paying fees for customers should they incur them, from using other banks ATMs

As correctly stated, the Cardless ATM feature involves the App, but also the ATM system. So using a US bank ATM is VERY unlikely to work until some standard based network like VISA or UPI provides this, which is not imminent. We previously allowed AEON customers to use our ATM, now KBANK. ATM networks are expensive to rollout AND to maintain. We need staff to refresh the cash, we need to upgrade them. So leveraging this investment by pumping more volume via other Bank Apps for Cardless makes business sense, on both sides.

This should work, but if your KBANK App says the QR Code is not valid then call KBANK (please). 

FYI, I still have an ATM card because I travel a lot (internationally) and I an not use CARDLESS there overseas. But in Thailand I am 100% Cardless. 

So bottom line is that this will  continue to expand (I think I do not know) in terms of other banks having access to each others ATM via Cardless. Fees are something you will  need to discuss with YOUR bank. Not with us. And it should work. As I said we have done for AEON for some time already

Thanks

I as afraid the cardless ATM was going to be a new 'lock-in' forcing customers to go to their own bank's ATM to withdraw money from apps, but now that interoperability is here it is welcomed, do you see some standards forming like PromptPay that now has some regional interoperability now

Also, If you are at liberty to disclose,

What's the uptake for withdrawal by 'Bangkon Agents' ie: at 7-11s like? I don't imagine many takers for this option in urban areas with readily access to ATMs

6 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"Withdrawals from partner banks..."

The BBL app refers to "our partner bank", not banks, so, yes, only Kasikorn.

Aye, I only read the What's New section in the Play Store, different wording  "from other banks' ATM."

12 hours ago, Everyman said:

I can confirm no fee with a succesful withdrawal from my BBL account at a Kasikorn ATM in the same province.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/29/2024 at 4:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

But obviously that only works if the app works.

Recently I had a couple of times the message that the k-Bank app can't be used because the bank is busy (message similar to that).

After trying maybe 10 times without success I called their support.

Their answer was that I should switch off WIFI from my phone and use the mobile phone data. I tried. And it worked.

Later I switched WIFI on again and then I tried the app again, and it didn't work again. WIFI off, and it worked. Annoying! 

Not annoying, it's a security feature, because many WIFIs in this country are not secure.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Thalueng said:

Not annoying, it's a security feature, because many WIFIs in this country are not secure.

I get what you write about unsecure WIFI. But in this case that doesn't add up.

I use this app at home, with my own WiFi, since many years, and most of the time it works.

Just this moment it also works, with WiFi.

A couple of days ago, it didn't work, with the same WiFi.

If they wouldn't want that it works with WiFi, then they could make sure it is never used with WiFi, and they could inform the user at that time. But that is not the case.

On 4/29/2024 at 4:11 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Recently I had a couple of times the message that the k-Bank app can't be used because the bank is busy (message similar to that).

After trying maybe 10 times without success I called their support.

Their answer was that I should switch off WIFI from my phone and use the mobile phone data. I tried. And it worked.

In my experience, it will give that "we're too busy" message if the wifi signal is weak, so switching to cellular data usually takes care of the issue. Using wifi per se isn't a problem, as long as you've enabled that options in the app.

The message also seems to come up if I'm in a crowded place - like a night market or expo - where lots of people are trying to pay at the same time. 

On 4/29/2024 at 3:58 PM, Upnotover said:

There is no fee. I do it frequently as no K-bank machine near me.

There is a 10 baht fee, but it's being waived until the end of May. 

https://mgronline.com/onlinesection/detail/9670000030538

• Thanks 1

I guess this is the reason why they have removed so many ATMs around the are where I live, about 50% of BBL ATM's gone and also about 50% of the Kbank's

Kbank app worked fine on BBL ATM, but I got the QR code not valid when trying BBL app on Kbank ATM

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

. . . . but I got the QR code not valid when trying BBL app on Kbank ATM

Sounds like you may have been doing the same as me!

When you open the app, select Cardless ATM, and enter your PIN you should see a box titled "Withdraw at" which will have defaulted to Bangkok Bank.  Press on this and select Kasikornbank ATM then Done before proceeding.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, treetops said:

When you open the app, select Cardless ATM, and enter your PIN you should see a box titled "Withdraw at" which will have defaulted to Bangkok Bank.  Press on this and select Kasikornbank ATM then Done before proceeding.

Might be, Ill verify next time, thank you

16 minutes ago, treetops said:

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

When using Kasikorn app and Bangkok Bank ATM you select K Plus

so at Kasikorn ATM it's probably something similar for Bangkok Bank app

14 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Are you sure it's not the other way around?

When using Kasikorn app and Bangkok Bank ATM you select K Plus

so at Kasikorn ATM it's probably something similar for Bangkok Bank app

I'm sure.  The BBL app asks you which ATM you're going to be using so you select K Bank.

Kasikorn ATM's have got to be the worst on the planet.  either out of order, or can't read the card.  the other day one didn't even have any money "sorry no notes are available at this time"  Brilliant an ATM that can't give cash out.   Unbelievable 

On 5/2/2024 at 7:14 PM, paulikens said:

Kasikorn ATM's have got to be the worst on the planet.  either out of order, or can't read the card.  the other day one didn't even have any money "sorry no notes are available at this time"  Brilliant an ATM that can't give cash out.   Unbelievable 

You must have been unlucky, I have used them a lot over my 15 years here in Thailand and never had any problem except one or two time they were out of service (Empty on cash?)

Not more faulty than Other ATM's IMHO, but SCB Card less withdraw is the worst, have to enter your phone number and a 10 digit code sent to your app etc... take forever to take our cash (Unless they have updated last 6 months), BBL and K-Bank, prepare before approaching the ATM so app is ready to scan, Choose Card-less ATM, Choose Bank, scan QR, money come out, take seconds.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 3:19 PM, treetops said:

You were Correct, the line where you choose bank is easy to miss, My bad. 

Thank you

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

You must have been unlucky, I have used them a lot over my 15 years here in Thailand and never had any problem except one or two time they were out of service (Empty on cash?)

Not more faulty than Other ATM's IMHO, but SCB Card less withdraw is the worst, have to enter your phone number and a 10 digit code sent to your app etc... take forever to take our cash (Unless they have updated last 6 months), BBL and K-Bank, prepare before approaching the ATM so app is ready to scan, Choose Card-less ATM, Choose Bank, scan QR, money come out, take seconds.

I've not been unlucky i think you've just been lucky more like.  lots of people i know say exactly the same thing.