Kid's Thai nationality

I doubt that the OCS site concerns itself with immigration regulations. Best post in an ongoing topic about the TM.30 requirement or start a new topic.

15 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

If he had a Thai passport at one point then (unless the Thai Embassy that issued it screwed up massively) he has Thai citizenship.

Pretty sure a person doesn't lose their Thai nationality just because their passport expired and they didn't renew it.

ID cards are not issued until age 7, whereas passports are issued if required from day 1..so possibly this is his situation 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

ID cards are not issued until age 7, whereas passports are issued if required from day 1..so possibly this is his situation 

This is correct.  The minimum age was originally 16 years but later lowered to 15 in 1983 and 7 in 2011.  A passport can be obtained prior to acquiring a Thai ID card.  Both of my kids obtained their first Thai ID cards at age 15.  They since renewed them at a Thai embassy or consulate after that as they have been living outside of Thailand for many years now.  

18 hours ago, Ben Zioner said:

Lucky him.. Why would one want a Thai nationality?

What a stupid rude ignorant comment and not your business, grow up. 

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

I think your name must be in a house registration book here. No need to actually live here to get a Thai ID. Are there Thai relatives here who would agree to put him in their house registration book? Not sure what documents would be needed if no Thai birth certificate, but this could be found out without too much difficulty.

To my knowledge: You have to be registered as resident in a House Book, but don't need to stay in Thailand.

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 3:08 PM, Georgealbert said:

If he had a passport before, there must be a Thai birth certificate and Thai nationality.

To lose nationality, the applicable laws are contained in Thailand’s Nationality Act B.E. 2508., Chapter 2: Loss of Thai Nationality, and would require an order for the revocation of that Thai nationality.

https://library.siam-legal.com/thai-law/nationality-act-loss-of-thai-nationality-sections-13-22/

On 4/30/2024 at 3:19 PM, jaxon said:

Thanks.  That's my understanding, that once declared and granted (birth certificate issued) then it has to be formally revoked. 

I'm pretty sure it is not possible to revoke citizenship that is received through birth right. Those who were not born to a Thai person but got naturalized can lose the citizenship of they commit server crimes

2 hours ago, LukKrueng said:

I'm pretty sure it is not possible to revoke citizenship that is received through birth right. Those who were not born to a Thai person but got naturalized can lose the citizenship of they commit server crimes

I recall some time back there was an item on this site about:

- Thai person self cancelled Thai citizenship.

- Thai person easily regained Thai citizenship. The person involved was born to Thai mother and father, in Thailand.  

Posted (edited)
On 5/1/2024 at 11:18 PM, scorecard said:

I recall some time back there was an item on this site about:

- Thai person self cancelled Thai citizenship.

- Thai person easily regained Thai citizenship. The person involved was born to Thai mother and father, in Thailand.  

You're talking about a person that willfully gave up his citizenship, not same as citizenship being revoked by the government.

Until about 30+years Thailand did not allow duel citizenship so if a Thai person got another citizenship he would have to give up his Thai citizenship

Edited by LukKrueng
Typo
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 12:53 AM, LukKrueng said:

You are talking gibberish mate. "server crime" you mean computer crimes, another absolute gem of Thai non Law.

On 4/30/2024 at 8:25 PM, MangoKorat said:

OK, I'm going to open a can of worms here and no, I'm not going to spend hours looking for the English version of this but.......

I am very aware that there are literally thousands of kids/women that hold both British and Thai passports.  I believe women married to a foreigner can keep both nationalities but according to the law, which is ignored but to the best of my knowledge has not been changed, a child of mixed parents (foreign father) who reaches a certain age, and from memory I think its 20, must choose which citizenship they wish to keep. If they wish to keep their foreign father's nationality, they must renounce their Thai one.

I repeat, I know very well that thousands keep both. I'm just raising this to advise the OP to tread carefully if he comes up against any further resistance to renew his kid's Thai passports.  Any over zealous official involved who knows the actual law and wants to 'win' - could quote the law, providing of course that the kids have reached the required age.

Not the law. At least not for over 25 years.

I think you're misremembering when Thai females who married a foreigner and then were granted another nationality, lost their Thai nationality. (It was only women, not men, that this happened to.)

They tried to get Tiger Woods to apply for Thai nationality, and he refused because of how his mother had been forced to lose her nationality. So, I believe it was the 1997 constitution, got rid of that rule and Thais have had no problems with dual nationality since then. It didn't hurt that you also had one of King Bhumibol's daughters, literally a princess in the Thai royal family who married an American and whose kids had dual nationality.

• Agree 1

On 4/30/2024 at 6:20 PM, jaxon said:

Kid was born in UK and had a Thai passport previously

Pretty awesome to have a Thai passport before he was born! How did he manage that?

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2024 at 12:20 PM, jaxon said:

Kid was born in UK and had a Thai passport previously.  New Thai passport not possible as no Thai ID (not living in Thailand as adult). Question, does he still retain Thai citizenship or does it need some kind of confirmation?  He does not need a new Thai passport I am just wondering if he remains Thai and has a right to one/residency in the future. 

Be very careful- i have been through this with my son - if you keep getting id cards/ passports he WILL be eligible for national service lottery - his worst nightmare.

spoke to the thai embassy but they are reluctant to put anything in writing- he is 19 and hasn’t had a Thai passport since he was 8. I know he is a uk citizen etcetc but try arguing that in Thailand if they decide differently 

• Thanks 1

On 4/30/2024 at 7:16 AM, Ben Zioner said:

Absolutely not. I have 3 nationalities I am proud of, there is no way I could be proud of being Thai.

The post is about the man's child, nothing to do with your three nationalities nor your disdain for Thai citizenship.  Move along.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 minutes ago, SmokeandIce said:

The post is about the man's child, nothing to do with your three nationalities nor your disdain for Thai citizenship.  Move along.

Sure, it was nice talking to a cranky Goy.

1 hour ago, Graham8888 said:

Be very careful- i have been through this with my son - if you keep getting id cards/ passports he WILL be eligible for national service lottery - his worst nightmare.

spoke to the thai embassy but they are reluctant to put anything in writing- he is 19 and hasn’t had a Thai passport since he was 8. I know he is a uk citizen etcetc but try arguing that in Thailand if they decide differently 

The son is 16 at the moment, do you know upto which age he could still visit Thailand without possibility of lottery inclusion?

2 hours ago, Graham8888 said:

Happened to my son, he would have to partake in the lottery if he sets food into Thailand but does not want to give up his Thai passport.

Unluckily his mother did not register his ongoing university studies (he lives with her outside of Thailand), so no easy way out of it any more.

Statute of limigtations is 10 years, so he will be able to enter Thailand as a Thai without having been part of the lottery after this time has passed.

On 5/7/2024 at 4:05 AM, bkk_mike said:

Not the law. At least not for over 25 years.

I think you're misremembering when Thai females who married a foreigner and then were granted another nationality, lost their Thai nationality. (It was only women, not men, that this happened to.)

They tried to get Tiger Woods to apply for Thai nationality, and he refused because of how his mother had been forced to lose her nationality. So, I believe it was the 1997 constitution, got rid of that rule and Thais have had no problems with dual nationality since then. It didn't hurt that you also had one of King Bhumibol's daughters, literally a princess in the Thai royal family who married an American and whose kids had dual nationality.

No, I wasn't 'misremebering' anything. The rule did exist but as has been established in posts after mine, it was done away with.