TrueMoney blocks foreign Credit/Debit cards from April 24, 2024

6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

why haven't you got a thai bank account?

I never really wanted to stay indefinately in Thailand. I put off getting an account because it was not absolutely necessary, still isn't. Same with the driver's license. Call it lack of motivation or hanging onto the prospect of leaving.

My primary reason for being here is financial. I always thought I was just on a long vacation, but the years went buy and that was not the case. I'm looking at Mexico now.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I never really wanted to stay indefinately in Thailand. I put off getting an account because it was not absolutely necessary, still isn't. Same with the driver's license. Call it lack of motivation or hanging onto the prospect of leaving.

My primary reason for being here is financial. I always thought I was just on a long vacation, but the years went buy and that was not the case. I'm looking at Mexico now.

one of the first things to do here, get a bank account, get a thai driving licence

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

I'm looking at Mexico now.

I've spent a short while in and around Mexico City. I was pleasantly surprised by how many people spoke English and how friendly they were.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, george said:

Seems like foreign cards are frowned upon everywhere in the country now. What could be the reason?

Thai bank push, in conjunction with the retail oligopoly, to force tourists to pay the extortionate ATM cash withdrawal fee?

Edited by Lee65

4 minutes ago, Lee65 said:

Thai bank push, in conjunction with the retail oligopoly, to force tourists to pay the extortionate ATM cash withdrawal fee?

Of course not! Foreign tourists are perfectly able to use their credit and debit cards at any number of business in Thailand, just not True Wallet. 

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mike Lister said:

Of course not! Foreign tourists are perfectly able to use their credit and debit cards at any number of business in Thailand, just not True Wallet. 

I was replying to George's question.  Read my post.

21 hours ago, george said:

To shop in 7-Eleven stores or delivery is getting more and more difficult. Cash only preferred, it seems, especially for foreigners.

Cannot agree with that, at all.  Those who live here, presumably, have a local bank account that can top-up TrueMoney, those who do not, probably do not have a TrueMoney app.   What else is making purchases from 7-11 "more and more difficult"?

19 hours ago, Bountyhuntr said:
21 hours ago, Everyman said:

TruMoney was nearly impossible to set up as a foreigner anyway. I gave up years ago. 

I think it's fine as long as you have evidence of Long-Term Visa or Work Permit.

Visas are not checked for foreigners registering with TrueMoney, neither is a work permit a requirement!

20 hours ago, Bountyhuntr said:

Oh another thing about TrueMoney Wallet - if the Long-term Visa or Work Permit date expires from when you set it up, they instantly lock you out of your account and you have to upload new evidence again (renewal of Work Permit etc).

Nonsense.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

The main stumbling block that us foreigners encounter when applying are the questions regarding employment. Fine if you are employed but what about those of us who are retired? That's where I and apparently many others got stuck.

Employment is not a requirement to register with TrueMoney!

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, SportRider said:
21 hours ago, george said:

How do you pay at 7-Eleven if you don't have cash and no TrueMoney app?

Revolut is great. 

Since when has 7-11 accepted payment through a Revolut debit card when 7-11s do not accept debit cards?

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Since when has 7-11 accepted payment through a Revolut debit card when 7-11s do not accept debit cards?

Revolut was accepted and worked well via TrueMoney App until April 24, when suddenly Truemoney blocked use of foreign debit cards without notice.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Hi George, Can I just download this app on my phone? Is it easy to use/top up?

Yes, and yes/yes.  There's a bit of registering to do though, but if I can do it unassisted, anyone can.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Now you know why 7/11 is pushing the True wallet so much and even going so far as to not allowing local debit cards.

They have never allowed the use of any debit cards.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

9 hours ago, connda said:

Works until the internet goes down, or your phone breaks, or you forget to charge it, or your phone gets a virus, or Truemoney gets hacked, I could go on but why bother.

That's what ATMs are for innit?

51 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Translation: 

" I always carry hay. I have a horse. Petrol is totally irrelevant to me".

Well I never, another country lad like myself!