Are you thinking of returning to the UK with your Thai family?

There is a UK Government petition that I recently signed, which highlights the proposed future costs of non-UK citizens to live in the UK together with their spouse.

The petition cleared the minimum number respondents which caused the Government to debate the issue.

Here is the full debate which, in my opinion and if nothing else, highlights the Government's lack of forethought and consideration.

It is also notable that nothing is mentioned of the financial improvements that the UK Inland Revenue might expect from an increased number of working immigrants.

https://hansard.parliament.uk/commons/2024-04-23/debates/197A4BF5-2D70-4087-9ECC-479F740A7C10/PartnerAndSpousalVisasMinimumIncome

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, treetops said:

The petition hasn't yet reached the threshold for debate so why discussed already?

If you mean discussed on this forum then you really should have a look at the link.

The link is the Government debate on the subject.

42 minutes ago, Muhendis said:

The petition cleared the minimum number respondents which caused the Government to debate the issue.

Clearly this is a wrong assumption but never mind. The Government has debated it now anyway and that is what should be of greater importance.

Just now, Muhendis said:

If you mean discussed on this forum then you really should have a look at the link.

No, I meant discussed in Parliament and wondered why?

Just now, treetops said:

No, I meant discussed in Parliament and wondered why?

Good question.

I guess someone important enough decided it was worthy of pulling apart officially by the government influencers (backbenchers to you and me).

Some of the comments highlight the fact that something like 70% of the UK population live on less than the £38,500 minimum income limit for migrants, so why are migrants required to have more?

I think I'm going to answer my own question.

Immigrants need more money to pay 150% of any NHS treatment they may need irrespective of any income from working in the UK.

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

Good question.

I guess someone important enough decided it was worthy of pulling apart officially by the government influencers (backbenchers to you and me).

Some of the comments highlight the fact that something like 70% of the UK population live on less than the £38,500 minimum income limit for migrants, so why are migrants required to have more?

I think I'm going to answer my own question.

Immigrants need more money to pay 150% of any NHS treatment they may need irrespective of any income from working in the UK.

I'm not defending the £38k income threshold but many countries do require immigrants to have an income well above the national average or median.  For example in Spain a long term visa for non-EU nationals requires a minimum income of something like €30k plus health insurance. Thailand of course requires ฿800k for retirement visa, which is a lot more than the average Thai lives on.

Immigrants to the UK do not pay 150% of healthcare costs, they pay the NHS Surcharge when they apply for their visa (immigrants working in healthcare are exempted). Once they get ILR there is nothing more to pay.

49 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Immigrants to the UK do not pay 150% of healthcare costs, they pay the NHS Surcharge when they apply for their visa

The figure of 150% is what was quoted some years ago when this first came up however your comment has me wondering if that may be the figure for visiting expats who are looking for treatment by the NHS before returning to their adopted home.

What is the NHS surcharge in financial terms?