British Tourist Warned Over Criticism of Thailand Online

webfact

2 minutes ago, proton said:

How do you get a mortgage on a tourist visa?

If I remember correctly in one of his videos he signed an agreement to make payments on the house starting after burning season.

They were a few videos with all different amounts of money he could make as originally the house was going to be a hostel.

To be fair it was hard to keep up as it changed daily his plans for the place lol.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kwilco said:

You obviously don't know the history of Pai and tourism

You think I care enough to research on the history of Pai? No thank you. The less I know the better.

6 minutes ago, LadyJ1 said:

If I remember correctly in one of his videos he signed an agreement to make payments on the house starting after burning season.

They were a few videos with all different amounts of money he could make as originally the house was going to be a hostel.

To be fair it was hard to keep up as it changed daily his plans for the place lol.

the owner of that house must have been trying really hard to get rid of it. He could very well get deported before he can pay it off. 

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, LadyJ1 said:

Sounds like BS, maybe a Thai got the mortgage and he put down a deposit and makes the payments.Those figures are crazy, he will have burned through his money before the next high season comes around.

17 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

the owner of that house must have been trying really hard to get rid of it. He could very well get deported before he can pay it off. 

He was so open about having £30K I think it was easy to reel him in.

To be fair, he has tried to make the house look better and spent some cash on it, but even now in his current videos he talks like he is running the business, he doesn't realise he keeps slipping up.

So yes you may well be right he could get deported although I believe the drinks and weed license's are not in his name.

17 minutes ago, proton said:

Sounds like BS, maybe a Thai got the mortgage and he put down a deposit and makes the payments.Those figures are crazy, he will have burned through his money before the next high season comes around.

So true.....

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

You think I care enough to research on the history of Pai? No thank you. The less I know the better.

In which case I can't help you and don't bother to venture an opinion on it.

Thailand is a nice tropical country that I like to visit for the great food, landscape and of course the

tropical weather and beaches, friendly people,  etc. As a tourist of even expats, we are visiters to a foreign country

and should just enjoy our time instead of being critical of the country. I do criticize certain people 

who could be better, that that is just a personal thing, and has nothing to do with the country of Thailand.

I suggest some of you reread this thread as a black comedy. Stasi, KGB, international reputation, UN Charter blah blah blah. 

Get a grip on yourselves, the number of people ranting like delirious fools is beyond belief. No one cares. And for those of you that sincerely believe yourselves to be correct in said pompous protestations - 

Explain why you choose to live in such an "oppressive" country. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, theblether said:

I suggest some of you reread this thread as a black comedy. Stasi, KGB, international reputation, UN Charter blah blah blah. 

Get a grip on yourselves, the number of people ranting like delirious fools is beyond belief. No one cares. And for those of you that sincerely believe yourselves to be correct in said pompous protestations - 

Explain why you choose to live in such an "oppressive" country. 

I used to live in Glasgow .......... anywhere in Thailand is better than there!

All countries appear to be oppressive these days, at least here it's sunny and oppressive.

If I were really, really rich I'd probably go and live in a castle in Germany.

9 hours ago, LadyJ1 said:

He was so open about having £30K I think it was easy to reel him in.

To be fair, he has tried to make the house look better and spent some cash on it, but even now in his current videos he talks like he is running the business, he doesn't realise he keeps slipping up.

So yes you may well be right he could get deported although I believe the drinks and weed license's are not in his name.

He was open about taking a 30k GBP loan and doing a runner to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BTB1977 said:

What a sell out. He reported the truth.  But thailand turns a blind eye to the truth. 

Yes he reported the truth that he was running a business illegally whilst on a tourist visa and was picked up by the police for it so I guess that they didn’t turn a blind eye to it. All the other stuff like insulting the nurse who was trying to help him was irrelevant but not likely to put the authorities into a tolerant mood towards him. Isn’t there a website called the Darwin Awards for people like him.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, proton said:

Yes even well established foreigners/expats who are CEOs of successful Thailand based companies earning 500,000+ Baht a month struggle to acquire mortgages through Thai banks as the policy seems to be "mortgages for Thai citizens only".

UOB and MBK finance do mortgages for foreigners but down payments can be as high as 50% as Thai lenders don't do no deposit or low deposit home loans. The highest I've seen is 85% being financed but usually it's lower.

The chances someone who washed up in Pai on a tourist visa acquiring a mortgage with no work permit and a visa type that requires him to do regular visa runs is slim to none.

• Thanks 1

British Man Faces Deportation from Thailand Over Online Criticisms

image.jpeg

Picture: Naewna

Thai Tourist Police are pushing for a UK man's deportation due to his negative comments about Thailand on social media. The man, known only as Thomas, posted YouTube videos criticising Thai authorities, laws, and its citizenry.

Thomas's criticisms ranged from corruption in the police force to Thailand's COVID-19 vaccination campaign. He claimed that Thai people were easily manipulated by the upper class and the government, noting that 98% of Thais had received the COVID-19 vaccine through government manipulation, leading to his labelling them as 'zombies'.

He further implied the prevalence of bribes in dealings with the Thai police, claiming he had to pay to get certain items. He also stated that his mother, a Thai national, gained a travel agency license for a business that could be passed on later. Additionally, Thomas mentioned obtaining a license for a cannabis shop set to open in April.

Found and interviewed in Pai district by police, Thomas was informed his remarks were tarnishing Thailand's image and endangering national security. He was directed to remove all videos containing negative comments about Thailand and was briefly detained at Pai Police Station for potential charges.

The Tourist Police commander confirmed that Thomas's actions were law violations, with specific details yet to be clarified. Additional evidence will be supplied to the Immigration Bureau to bolster the deportation case.

While Thomas is currently in Thailand on a tourist visa, it is unclear if his claims about his Thai mother are factual.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-03

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

18 hours ago, WDSmart said:

According to Article 19 of the UN, you can complain if you don't like it. I think you still have to comply with it or be ready to suffer the consequences. It's the law in Thailand. Live by it or go home.

So, you're saying Article 19 is useless

17 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Next time when you see someone smoking in a bar, go to the local police and complain.

Maybe that will help you to understand the difference between principles and reality. 

So, you're saying, if approached then the UN would do nothing.. so what good is the UN

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, theblether said:

Dear me. Aye, the UN is going to send peacekeepers to Thailand cos a YouTuber was questioned for being an idiot. 

Very good. 

Well actually, it could be bundled in with many other breaches of freedom of speech. 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Aussie999 said:

Well actually, it could be bundled in with many other breaches of freedom of speech. 

You don't have freedom of speech in Thailand. Get over it. 

• Sad 1