Heatwave and Climate Change Puts Pressure on Thailand

webfact

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Denier is most definitely a personal slur, because it's common usage originated as an adjective to describe those evil folks who deny the holocaust. To call someone a denier of a conmonly held belief equates them with that same evil.

Here's the first definition of denialist courtesy of the Oxford English Dictionary:

de·ni·al·ist
/dəˈnī(ə)ləst/
noun
a person who does not acknowledge the truth of a concept or proposition that is supported by the majority of scientific or historical evidence; a denier.
"the small minority of very vocal climate change denialists"

https://www.google.com/search?q=denialist&oq=denialist&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDUxMjhqMGo3qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Denier is most definitely a personal slur, because it's common usage originated as an adjective to describe those evil folks who deny the holocaust. To call someone a denier of a conmonly held belief equates them with that same evil. Those who promote the belief of climate change are clearly hypocrites if they fly, because flying depends on fossil fuels and produces high CO2 emissions.

I decided to look at the definition of "denialist" offered by several dictionaries. None of them mentioned the holocaust. I think all of them used climate change denialist as an example. Some also used covid denialist as an example.

I recognize that you used the more generic term "denier". But denialist is the word commonly used to characterize those who, like you, reject a widely accepted scientific theory.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, placeholder said:

And your utter lack of knowledge of the huge advances that have already been made in renewable energy is telling. Renewable energy prices are plulnging. Already, renewable energy is cheaper than coal. And gas peaker plants - the ones that come online when power demand is high - are being displaced by batteries. 

Got any evidence to support this?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I decided to look at the definition of "denialist" offered by several dictionaries. None of them mentioned the holocaust. I think all of them used climate change denialist as an example. Some also used covid denialist as an example.

I recognize that you used the more generic term "denier". But denialist is the word commonly used to characterize those who, like you, reject a widely accepted scientific theory.

Hypocrite isn't a slur. It merely describes one who doesn't live by his stated beliefs 

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrite

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Here's the first definition of denialist courtesy of the Oxford English Dictionary:

de·ni·al·ist
/dəˈnī(ə)ləst/
noun
a person who does not acknowledge the truth of a concept or proposition that is supported by the majority of scientific or historical evidence; a denier.
"the small minority of very vocal climate change denialists"

https://www.google.com/search?q=denialist&oq=denialist&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOdIBCDUxMjhqMGo3qAIIsAIB&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That's a woke dictionary. It's obvious were the term denier originated, and the definition is incomplete. 

8 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

That's a woke dictionary. It's obvious were the term denier originated, and the definition is incomplete. 

Woke dictionary? Jeez...turn off the politics

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I just had to skim through - same old rubbish from the climate change deniers - with their cliche'd  single "not a lot of people know that" - pseudo-science "facts"

In response - we DO know that and if you understand the whole picture you will also know how silly you are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, kwilco said:

have to say, that's a classic - I"ve read some nonsense in my time........... I'll post this on twitter it is so good.

Those from the far right aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No one can Master climate change.

It's a Natural Phenomenon that happens every few/many thousands of  years.

Exaggerated by humans. Massively.

• Confused 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Roo Island said:

No proof? Ok. The answer is, yes. El Nino and La Nina are part of a warmer then cooler cycle. I'm from California. Know about this very well.

Unfortunately, it's being influenced by climate change. Who would have guessed.

https://environment.uw.edu/news/2024/01/el-nino-shows-us-the-true-face-of-climate-change/

An important detail to note about El Niño and La Niña is that they are measured against a rolling average of sea-surface temperatures. That means that when researchers say the tropical Pacific is 2 degrees C warmer than normal, they mean 2 degrees C warmer than the average from 1991-2020 — a period that was already significantly warmer than pre-industrial times. The actual sea surface temperatures may well be record-setting, even if the El Niño event itself is not.

“If you look at a chart of global average surface temperatures over time, you’ll see a steady rise due to increasing greenhouse gas concentrations in the atmosphere, but then you see ups and downs every few years,” McPhaden said. “The ups are El Niño and the downs are La Niña.”

Screenshot_20240503_165625.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The First Law of Thermodynamics states all forms of energy are interchangeable. When you drive your car, you are converting the chemical energy of gasoline to kinetic energy, and heat energy.

The Second Law of Thermodynamics states heat energy will always flow from a hotter entity to a colder entity, unless work is done to reverse said flow. That's what an air-conditioner does.

We get about 97% of the Earth's heat from the Sun. That heat has to go somewhere. It goes into the oceans. The oceans get warmer.

For 10,000 years, the carbon dioxide level in the atmosphere was 280 ppm. Since the Industrial Revolution, that level has risen to 425 ppm, the result of humans burning fossil fuels.

Increased carbon dioxide increases the amount of heat the Earth absorbs from the Sun. That is global warming.

Storms like hurricanes, typhoons and cyclones are heat engines, the First Law of Thermodynamics in operation. The heat energy in the ocean is converted to kinetic energy.

The warmer our oceans become, the more intense those storms will be. Ask any meteorologist. That is climate change.

I am a retired scientist. I have never got any funding from anyone for climate research, so I can't be accused of having a vested interest. I also will be dead before the worst effects arrive, so I am objective.

Scientists work from measurement and observation. All the data is saying we are warming up, as a result of human activity.

Here's another data set which indicates what is happening.

Sealevelrise.png

I understand thermodynamics, and that energy can't be created or destroyed, but you're making the assumption that the earth is a closed system and that the sun progressively warms the oceans. What actually happens is that heat is radiated back into space. It's true that CO2 reduces that radiation, but CO2 is produced by more than just the burning of fossil fuels. Limestone rocks emit it, oceans emit it, decomposition emits it, volcanoes emit it, animals fart it, loss of forests doesn't absorb it, etcetera. If you look back through the  ages, there are times when CO2 was much higher than it is now - times when neither humans nor use if fossil fuels existed. The earth does its thing in very long  and shorter cycles. Blaming it all on humans and asking people to live in poverty to control the weather is, well, antihuman.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Roo Island said:

Exaggerated by humans. Massively.

Massively isn't a very scientific word, now is it? It's the kind of emotional word a zealot would use to defend an indefensible point.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, jaideedave said:

Canada has a carbon tax of 170$/ton.It negatively affects the economy GDP and cost of living for the population.Apparently it won't help meet the Paris agreement. Meanwhile China and India keep on pumping out emmisions like crazy. Its a cash grab.  

The hilarious part of all this is that Canada chops down its forests to make wood chips or "biomass" as they're euphemistically called. These chips are then put on carbon belching ships and are transported across the Atlantic to the Drax power station in the UK, where they're burned to generate electricity. The UK then pretends that this electricity is "carbon neutral" because it wasn't generated using locally produced coal.

The green industry is a gigantic con job that relies on a powerful lobby group, an amazingly crafty marketing team, the media, censorship, and gullible folks of the kind we see on this forum.

• Agree 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, kwilco said:

have to say, that's a classic - I"ve read some nonsense in my time........... I'll post this on twitter it is so good.

So contribute something to the discussion then. Show us how smart you are.

Edited by sidneybear

13 minutes ago, sidneybear said:

Massively isn't a very scientific word, now is it? It's the kind of emotional word a zealot would use to defend an indefensible point.

Does it have to be a scientific word? It fits quite well.

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Roo Island said:

Those from the far right aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer

What's political standpoint would you describe as "far right"? Is far right anything to the right of Chairman Mao, who also inflicted poverty and famine on millions? Or is it anyone who questions what's on the telly?

Edited by sidneybear
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sidneybear said:

What's political standpoint would you describe as "far right"? Is far right anything to the right of Chairman Mao, who also inflicted poverty and famine on millions?

What? Far right is well defined. Mao has nothing to do with it.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1