Extreme Heat Leads to Pause in In-Person Classes at Thai Schools

webfact

image.jpeg

Picture courtesy of js100

The secretary-general of Thailand's Basic Education Commission, Thanu Wongchinda, has advised schools to stop in-person teaching in face of the anticipated extreme heat in April.

The guidance aims to protect students and teachers against heat stroke risks, given that many schools are scheduled to open for the new term coinciding with the heatwave.

Regions particularly at risk include the northeast, north, central plains, and east. Thanu also urged schools to cancel outdoor activities on extremely hot days, provide enough drinking water, and check electrical wires and appliances for safety. An option suggested to maintain academic continuity is the switch to online learning.

Moreover, Thanu warned against the risk of students being accidentally locked in hot vehicles, calling for greater vigilance from school staff. 

Meanwhile, the Thailand Meteorological Department issued a severe heat warning for several parts of the country, predicting temperatures to hit a high of 44 degrees Celsius. It also warned against prolonged outdoor activities due to potential health risks.

Associate Professor Seree Supratid flagged global warming as a contributing factor to worsening heat conditions, projecting that Bangkok's hottest period could extend from the current 17 days to 80 days annually, particularly between March and May. The extreme heatwave is attributed to a low-pressure area created by high temperatures in the upper region of the country.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-05-06

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, webfact said:

The secretary-general of Thailand's Basic Education Commission... has advised schools to stop in-person teaching in face of the anticipated extreme heat in April.

April 2025?

Edited by George Bowman
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

In April schools are closed and open on 16th of May this year.. But as I saw that kids are going to school for special classes with exception of the week of Songkran... It should be forbidden by the MOE for teachers and schools to give special classes, but give the kids time to relax, play instead of going to school 6 days a week and in holidays for special classes....If the mind doesn't have time to relax, it can't absorb anything anymore

I agree - but that would put an end to a good moneyspinner for the teachers. 

1 hour ago, nikmar said:

I agree - but that would put an end to a good moneyspinner for the teachers. 

If there is money being made it won't get to teachers who would much rather be on well earned vacation.  It's a relatively poorly paid and stressful occupation.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, the Thailand Meteorological Department issued a severe heat warning for several parts of the country, predicting temperatures to hit a high of 44 degrees Celsius. It also warned against prolonged outdoor activities due to potential health risks.

Outdoor sports is off the menu then.

Posted (edited)

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The guidance aims to protect students and teachers against heat stroke risks, given that many schools are scheduled to open for the new term coinciding with the heatwave.

Brilliant. An article about the extreme heat in April for mid-May. You can't make this idiocy up. I get the feeling that ChatGPT got constipated during the heat and has just shat this out. 

Edited by dinsdale

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Maybe they could put AC in the classrooms?  Crazy idea.

That will cost money and electricity and that don't want the teachers.... they only want THB

4 hours ago, Chris Daley said:

Maybe they could put AC in the classrooms?  Crazy idea.

I offered to pay for aircon installation in the classrooms I teach in that don't  have it, and the parents replied they don't want their kids in an air conditioned classroom. They are STILL living in the middle of the Covid scare. Love my job but often have to shake my head.

27 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

the parents replied they don't want their kids in an air conditioned classroom

They are quite correct!

I prefer a fan to a/c in most situations!

I am at present sitting outside a bar in Northern Thailand with a small personal fan blowing on me (which I carry with me) rather than sit inside with the the A/C blasting and having to shiver!

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Huge difference between sitting and soaking suds versus teaching/learning in sweltering heat. Sorry, that dog don't hunt.

There is also a huge difference between sitting as a child in an (over cooled?) A/C environment that you are not used to, especially, at home and using a fan system that you are so used to (if available) and happy with.

PS;  My comment re beer was meant to be light hearted!

• Confused 2