Health Insurance renewal

It's a old topic I know, but I'm a 65  more than average fit, and just got my renewal quote which is now doubled. Please any suggestions for a company that's not going to phone me 10 times a day chasing, but has sensible pricing and good quality policies to review.  So basically who would you recommend.

Thanks 

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Mark17AA said:

It's a old topic I know, but I'm a 65  more than average fit, and just got my renewal quote which is now doubled.

Hi can you say if your insurance company is a Thai Health Insurer? IF so perhaps you can try getting quotes from a International Insurer ? Like Cigna Global

As far as self insure goes it is a fine idea but most who think they can afford it may be kidding themselves. Although I understand for many there is no other choice

Of course there are those that can set aside millions for future health care problems but few who can replenish that at a moment notice or over & over again if complications quickly drain so called self insurance

Many of those same thinkers also think they will return to their home country for medicare treatment etc etc yet do not consider the possibility of not being allowed on a commercial flight nor being able to afford a air ambulance much worse waking up in a Thai ICU

In any case good luck

Edited by mania
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Etaoin Shrdlu said:

Find a good insurance broker and ask for help in finding an insurer and policy that makes the most sense.

But at age 65 you're going to have to choose from among a bunch of unappealing options. Oldies are expensive to insure and the policies that are on offer aren't very good and will exclude pre-existing conditions.

This. 

Who is your current insurer? 

Do you have any chronic healrh problems? Surgeries or hospitalizations in the past  10 years? Any regular medications? 

9 hours ago, Sheryl said:

This. 

Who is your current insurer? 

Do you have any chronic healrh problems? Surgeries or hospitalizations in the past  10 years? Any regular medications? 

Nothing 

11 hours ago, Phat Dawg said:

All these suggestions for self insuring are a bad idea. A heart surgery or an accident that puts you in hospital and/or ICU for a month could still wipe out your savings. Paying $10K-$15K per year for an inpatient only policy to cover the big stuff still makes more sense. 

For brokers, Pacific Prime in Shanghai is the best in the region. You will be dealing with an expat broker over there who can offer you various options with various types of coverage levels and help you choose which is best for your budget. 

Actually I have been with PP for 13 Years, but understandably now hit 65 the premium doubled hence on the look out. It's a minefield!  However PP came back with some options Vumi with equal cover at $300/MTH less than to reinsure with PassportCard and less than other quotes I had gathered... So Vumi it is.

Thanks anyhow.

18 hours ago, Mark17AA said:

It's a old topic I know, but I'm a 65  more than average fit, and just got my renewal quote which is now doubled. Please any suggestions for a company that's not going to phone me 10 times a day chasing, but has sensible pricing and good quality policies to review.  So basically who would you recommend.

Thanks 

WRLife, the best ever🙏 Ask for a quotation!🙏

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

FWIW: My Pacific Cross policy increased by 40% as I turned 67

As i  said ......................

also a very long and stressful ( very common)  personal anecdote from one of the longtime members on AN ........ ending in him finally making the departure to go back home for care ( a year or so ago).    maybe he will weigh in again on his experience ( but it is also not advisable to name names ( companies, etc)  due to the laws here  🙂

Edited by rumak

Choice :  pay, pay, pay ...year after year .   hoping to avoid the stress, pain and suffering from a "major issue" .

Then:   pay,  raised premiums ,  pay , raised premiums 

Then:  the moment finally comes.   you are injured or disabled or very ill .

You make your claim , and are in a very ill state .

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/analysis-health-insurance-claim-denials-are-on-the-rise-to-the-detriment-of-patients

Not for me ,  thanks.    

18 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

I am 68 years young, just renewed my policy with Pacific Cross.  No new medical questions this year - just sign a coverage form and fill out a payment form.  Emailed Pacific Cross with a request to renew day 1, received a reply and forms day 2, returned signed forms day 4, received acceptance email day 4.  Package to be sent out to mailing address within 10 days.

yes..  cut and dry  1-2-3 ...    "but"   watch what happens when you actually use the policy and then renew .

that big discount for not making a claim is  gone ..  plus a surcharge ...

stick it in and break it off !

On 5/6/2024 at 6:33 PM, Mark17AA said:

sensible pricing and good quality policies to review. 

You won't find what you are looking for I tried and got Nowhere (77yrs young) they are all Ripoffs.

They should be cheaper then in the Western countries because of  everything being cheaper doctors /labour/meds  in Thailand  but that's not it's just Greed.

• Like 1

At the age of 81, I self insure.  Probably am not well enough to make the trip back to America for treatment under Medicare.  Recently had my third angioplasty for $22,000.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2024 at 2:49 AM, Luuk Chaai said:

yes..  cut and dry  1-2-3 ...    "but"   watch what happens when you actually use the policy and then renew .

that big discount for not making a claim is  gone ..  plus a surcharge ...

stick it in and break it off !

I am aware of what happens when one makes a claim; over the years that I have been here I probably make monthly visits to hospitals/clinics for minor issues; I have been admitted to government hospitals twice - once for a minor operation with 5 days in hospital and once a similar period for IV treatment for an inflamed prostrate.  Paid by credit card (around Baht 20-30 thousand), and did not make a claim as it would end up costing me more in lost insurance no-claim bonuses.  If I had a Baht 500,000 claim, then I would probably claim.

• Agree 1

Wrlife is the best and affordable. Give me your birthday and I give you a quotation. 

thainews[at]gmx.de 

Pattaya, German helping point

On 5/7/2024 at 8:32 AM, JimHuaHin said:

I am 68 years young, just renewed my policy with Pacific Cross.  No new medical questions this year - just sign a coverage form and fill out a payment form.  Emailed Pacific Cross with a request to renew day 1, received a reply and forms day 2, returned signed forms day 4, received acceptance email day 4.  Package to be sent out to mailing address within 10 days.

I am with the above poster.

I am 62, never needed them, but been with Pacific Cross 4 or 5 years now.

Furthermore, I mentioned in another thread, I want it for big ticket items only, such as serious issues and not run-of-the-mill dentistry or eyes or OPD.

Not only that, but I paid last year with NCD and a 40,000 deductible excess charge, 47,000 for the year. That is up to 10 million Thai baht on an illness /operation/hospitalization with 400K personal accident.

Not seen cheaper or better coverage for the price.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:20 AM, MeaMaximaCulpa said:

FWIW: My Pacific Cross policy increased by 40% as I turned 67

LOL. I feel your pain. I had Pacific Cross when I turned 76.  I thank my lucky stars I was able to convert to LTR visa which allowed me to use my USA health insurance. 

• Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, kimothai said:

LOL. I feel your pain. I had Pacific Cross when I turned 76.  I thank my lucky stars I was able to convert to LTR visa which allowed me to use my USA health insurance. 

Yeah, I have kept it "for a rainy day", and also anticipating the need for health insurance on a retirement extension. It will come, sooner or later. But if the price gets silly as I age, I might go to self insure fairly soon.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

Ever since the US sanctions against Russia were pushed in by the USA, globally most prices have increased.

Not the only reason obviously,.  but it did create a sense of global inflation and provided a sort of "blanc-seing" to many, to hike their rates.