Air Pollution Skyrockets in Chiang Mai

7 hours ago, JimG said:

My experience is that the smog is caused by farmers burning the leftovers from the crops.  It's always said that 'next year' it will be fixed. They never do.   Make it illegal and fine violators. Set up a collection system for the trash.  The gov't could even assist in the cost to the farmers.

Your experience is quite wrong.  80 to 90% of all fires in Chiang Mai province are NOT agricultural.  They are primarily grass and scrub (forest) fires.

Following 6 months of DRY HOT weather it's only natural that fires will occur, naturally, accidentally and on purpose by hill tribes who later harvest mushrooms.

Anyone from Australia knows only too well how a fire can get out of control real fast under such conditions. 

This annual phenomena is not new and exacerbated by terrain, wind (or lack thereof), and fires in adjoining provinces as well as Burma and Laos.

• Like 2

Old news really the rain starts and it will clear ,plus the farmers stop the burning to grow again and start again next year for next years burning.everyyear the same with the talk and burning

I couldn't imagine why anyone would visit now!

Pollution levels at these levels are not only bad health wise but are physically debilitating.

On top of that it's overpriced.

20 minutes ago, McTavish said:

well as Burma and Laos.

.......and Indonesia,Malaysia,etc.

In reality the burning of fields, while bad is a very small percentage.   

It's not a new phenomenon.  I remember very bad smoggy days 30 years ago.

Being in a mountain valley exasperates the situation.

"The city's location in a mountain valley exacerbates pollution due to the interplay between mountain meteorology and synoptic weather conditions, leading to high concentrations of air pollutants like particulate matter (PM) [1]. Additionally, Chiang Mai's geographical setting with mountains surrounding the city traps pollutants from various anthropogenic activities, especially during the dry season when there is low precipitation, calm winds, and temperature inversions."

https://typeset.io/questions/how-does-chiang-mai-geographical-feature-make-air-pollution-56atx6642q

Rainy season will bring relief throughout Southeast Asia and Chiang Mai.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Unfortunately it's not just the Thai farmers but also the Laos and Burmese farmers you would need to stop - and that would be impossible

You do know multiple Thai Agro businesses contract with farming groups in those countries to grow feedstock products (corn) and then sell to china…

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

What steps have been taken to stop this ?

Hm,...Taking effective measures is not there strongest point,..."Talking" is !!!!

8 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Listen to the presently sitting Prime Minister (or all others before him); no problem, no reason to panic and do not complain as it might damage the ever-so-important tourism industry. 

What all these goons have not realized is that nobody in his right mind would a) return for a repeated visit nor b) recommend the places to their friends. It is a fact that you normally have a think-alike circle of acquaintances and friends. So, with one poor impression you spoil another ten, twenty or even more potential visitors. 

But try to explain that to these self-centered clowns. I - for one - remember the North of Thailand 40+ years ago and there was never anything like smog or haze; apart from the winter morning fogs which were - health wise - harmless.

Welcome to Thailand then ............ 

well right after the 40 years ago, leadfree gasoline began being introduced here in Thailand.  The government subsidized the corn growing for ethanol to replace the lead so a lot of new fields needed to be cleared - easiest way was to burn burn burn plus all those mushroom hunters I guess that burn off the undergrowth to find their "crop".  S. Asia does this every year and every year S. Asian cities fill up the top ten polluted in the world!  The figures that the medical folks put out regularly for treatment of respiratory illness is staggering.  Those figures are provided on this forum too.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 3:27 PM, scottiejohn said:

In comparison to what and where?

Most anywherebesides Phukett in Thailand.

That's my experience at least.

Of course you can find cheap accomodation anywhere but I'm referring to  within the ancient city walls and high end resorts. 

I enjoy the place, my wife thinks it's boring.

On 5/7/2024 at 1:05 PM, McTavish said:

Your experience is quite wrong.  80 to 90% of all fires in Chiang Mai province are NOT agricultural.  They are primarily grass and scrub (forest) fires.

Following 6 months of DRY HOT weather it's only natural that fires will occur, naturally, accidentally and on purpose by hill tribes who later harvest mushrooms.

Anyone from Australia knows only too well how a fire can get out of control real fast under such conditions. 

This annual phenomena is not new and exacerbated by terrain, wind (or lack thereof), and fires in adjoining provinces as well as Burma and Laos.

This is government's PR.

A better explanation is today's article in the Bangkok Post by Anchalee Kongrut how clean air for people to breathe is turned into suffocating smog by agrobusiness.

The animal feed produced by agrobusiness is mainly chicken feed for China. They burn the fields and the forests.  Not the "farmers". 

Anchalee doesn't dare to call names, neither do I. But if you are interested, just google Thai agrobusiness and you will find, that you, too, contribute to their profit every day.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Lorry said:

This is government's PR.

A better explanation is today's article in the Bangkok Post by Anchalee Kongrut how clean air for people to breathe is turned into suffocating smog by agrobusiness.

The animal feed produced by agrobusiness is mainly chicken feed for China. They burn the fields and the forests.  Not the "farmers". 

Anchalee doesn't dare to call names, neither do I. But if you are interested, just google Thai agrobusiness and you will find, that you, too, contribute to their profit every day.

That article is 90% bulldust and contains very few relevant facts concerning Chiang Mai province.  As usual, a deskbound writer cobbled together published agricultural data with a large amount of social media bulldust and 'file photos' to paint an incorrect picture of the annual smoke problem.

Consider the amount of forest and scrub which covers our province and the effects of ~40c days after ~5 months of NO rain.  Corn growers are NOT the culprit and those who follow CMNews daily can see the true facts assembled from NASA and many other agencies.

I have also noted many so-called 'news' sources, both local and international, using the same set of file photos repeatedly - yet at least one prominent smoke pic has been identified as NOT from Chiang Mai.

I trust verifiable facts, NOT so-called 'journalists' - they're an extinct species.

• Like 1

My buddy and I did the ride from CM -> Mae Sa Riang -> Mae Hong Son -> Pai....at the end of March, and the first 2 days in and around Mae SaRiang had a bunch of small fires burning around making a TON of pollution. And on the way out of there, I went through a few small canyon type valleys where entire sides of hills had been burned out. Maybe if the government at least had a free crop-tilling service they could let people use instead of just slow-burning their fields like we saw them do, it would make a dent in all the smoke. It was gross in a few places driving through it. 

Posted (edited)

What are the starting points of all these fires? Almost all start with human action, some accidental, most not. Lightning is not a real factor here.

Edited by islandguy

On 5/9/2024 at 10:01 PM, paul1804 said:

They will never bother to stop this because there is no visible personal monetary gain to the authorities, too short sighted to realise that with clean air there will be more tourist $$$ and a healthier community. The farmers and community need educating and law enforcement but that would make too much sense. 

Little steps in respect of some farmers rice fields near us that have always been burnt off now have tractor mounted implements to turn over the soil, only noticed this in the last year or two.

The main arsonists appear to be untouchable for some reason?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/7/2024 at 1:37 PM, MrJ2U said:

Being in a mountain valley exasperates the situation.

Really doesn't help Chiang Mai's problem as you say, sat in a natural bowl as she is. The air would be crap at this time of year if you went back to Mangrai's time, or indeed no human activity altogether, but chuck in all that local burning, the thousands upon thousands of crappy sawngthaew/tuk-tuk motors and ridiculous amount of traffic in general--plus the millions of tons worth of badly burned air coming over from Burma--and you have a recipe for disaster. Been going on for decades, but particularly noticeable now due to especially excessive heat. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Really doesn't help Chiang Mai's problem as you say, sat in a natural bowl as she is. The air would be crap at this time of year if you went back to Mangrai's time, or indeed no human activity altogether, but chuck in all that local burning, the thousands upon thousands of crappy sawngthaew/tuk-tuk motors and ridiculous amount of traffic in general--plus the millions of tons worth of badly burned air coming over from Burma--and you have a recipe for disaster. Been going on for decades, but particularly noticeable now due to especially excessive heat. 

It's definitely not getting better with time.

I really enjoy Chiang Mai for short visits with the family when the air is better.

Great food,shopping,nightlife,hotels,etc.

I'm in Issan, and it can be really bad or worse than Chiang Mai.

It's part and parcel of living in Asia.

Edited by MrJ2U

Posted (edited)

Seems the government are trying to rely on a response approach, instead of real preventive measures.

Will using satellite technology, the Japanese Michibiki system, to help speed up any emergency response and communications really do anything to help the situation and reduce pollution?

https://japannews.yomiuri.co.jp/politics/politics-government/20240519-186826/

Edited by Georgealbert

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2024 at 9:42 AM, Sydebolle said:

Listen to the presently sitting Prime Minister (or all others before him); no problem, no reason to panic and do not complain as it might damage the ever-so-important tourism industry. 

What all these goons have not realized is that nobody in his right mind would a) return for a repeated visit nor b) recommend the places to their friends. It is a fact that you normally have a think-alike circle of acquaintances and friends. So, with one poor impression you spoil another ten, twenty or even more potential visitors. 

But try to explain that to these self-centered clowns. I - for one - remember the North of Thailand 40+ years ago and there was never anything like smog or haze; apart from the winter morning fogs which were - health wise - harmless.

Welcome to Thailand then ............ 

It wasn't like it 20 years ago either.

It really started to deteriorate from about 2010, before then residents did not give it much thought.

It's so bad bow , I left the home that I had intended to stay in forever to move south, and judging by what my friends say about this year's weather in CM I am very glad I did.

But I was really driven out by the burning and how it affected my chest