The ridiculous amount of Public Holiday's in Thailand

23 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

The Thai government like to keep Thai people happy.  There is a huge fun element to education, food and fuel is massively subsidised, lots of holidays.

But Who actually gets paid for holidays in Thailand?

One of the reasons why I sold my business and took it elsewhere. Apart from an ever increasing number of local holidays the productivity dropped even faster. I was afraid that the moment would come where we would have to train the staff from scratch after extended holidays. 

If the government wants to declare more holidays, then they (i.e. taxpayer) should pay for it. But it is rather populistic to announce ever-more public holidays and let the private industry pay for it. 

But Thailand has lost its plot as a production base once you need human manpower. The education system got stucked somewhere in the Middle Ages, the motivation is mostly zero and the reliability and loyalty of the locals is gone for good (with most of them). The really qualified cost you more than a caucasian and the labour law is more than labour-friendly. They walk off a job - no reprimanding would make sense. The employer terminates the employ, they (correctly) have to settle severance payments. In addition some file for "unfair dismissal" and the judges usually try to "compromise". 

Well, if the employer is losing one of their overseas customers due to the unreliability of staff then go and define "unfair". As said, I sold my business and the Lord may be praised for that. I would never ever start a labour-intensive business in Thailand again - for above reasons! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm in the South. 

Songkran in this little beach side village was scheduled for 3 days. However, the pickups with water barrels and water canons were parading the beach road for 8 ! days. Nobody was working in these days, but got the time for drinking and shooting, so that 2 people ended up in hospital with severe injuries. And then all these accidents by and with motor bikes. It was a kind of a anteroom of hell.🙏

I'm in the South. 

Songkran in this little beach side village was scheduled for 3 days. However, the pickups with water barrels and water canons were parading the beach road for 8 ! days. Nobody was working in these days, but got the time for drinking and shooting, so that 2 people ended up in hospital with severe injuries. And then all these accidents by and with motor bikes. It was a kind of a anteroom of hell.🙏

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

One of the reasons why I sold my business and took it elsewhere. Apart from an ever increasing number of local holidays the productivity dropped even faster. I was afraid that the moment would come where we would have to train the staff from scratch after extended holidays. 

If the government wants to declare more holidays, then they (i.e. taxpayer) should pay for it. But it is rather populistic to announce ever-more public holidays and let the private industry pay for it. 

But Thailand has lost its plot as a production base once you need human manpower. The education system got stucked somewhere in the Middle Ages, the motivation is mostly zero and the reliability and loyalty of the locals is gone for good (with most of them). The really qualified cost you more than a caucasian and the labour law is more than labour-friendly. They walk off a job - no reprimanding would make sense. The employer terminates the employ, they (correctly) have to settle severance payments. In addition some file for "unfair dismissal" and the judges usually try to "compromise". 

Well, if the employer is losing one of their overseas customers due to the unreliability of staff then go and define "unfair". As said, I sold my business and the Lord may be praised for that. I would never ever start a labour-intensive business in Thailand again - for above reasons! 

Wow!

A guy that actually knows what he is talking about!

Quite a rarity on AN these days..

Bob.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/7/2024 at 11:39 AM, bob smith said:

It seems more or less every week there is a holiday for Thais.

And every year the government of the day adds another.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Are they aware that there are only 365 days in a year?

Thailand must have more public holidays than any other nation on Earth.

Perhaps someone can either confirm or deny that.

Whilst I enjoy a good day off I personally think that too many holidays creates a lazy population.

If Thai's want to seriously compete on the international stage, they need to work their socks off for the chance.

Holidays don't put food on the table!

bob.

And all of the golf clubs suddenly increase their prices because it's a public holiday. 

On 5/8/2024 at 2:49 PM, bob smith said:

I personally know 3 Thai men named Somchai.

They drink all day and play cards.

bob.

So you are in bad company🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, koele2 said:

Most European countries get 6 weeks paid vacation.  On top of holidays.  And pensions.  How much work do they really do compared to Thais?  

A hell of a lot more!

Bob.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

Even when they are not on holiday depending on which government office you go to or embassy abroad, mainly the some in Europe, they will do everything not to do the job and send you back.

...there's nothing a thai loves more than a day off!!

sanook naaa!

bob.

Depends on what Thai you are.

A government worker in many occasions dont have day off.

Government decide their workers have to go to ceremonies or other activities. No day free at all.

Like planting mangrove trees or ceremonies about remembering/honoring kings or attend a public open wide burning of drugs !

It is also government workers rarely get paid for overtime working. Yes, they do !

Married couples in government, they can be split up, wife working then in north and man working in south of Thailand.

Not really being compensated for this. Or by the "free" days? Rare, as they have to do other things for government.

Common Thai, could be the same, as "free day" means people go out shop and eat in restaurants, so no free day there.

Work, generating income on that special day. They get compensated? Probably not. Working 6 days a week for 12 hours, for low money.

So Bob, get your things right if you want to complain. Who are you to say, days have to be limited?

Yes departments close, but mostly it is NOT a happy day off for Thai officers. You only thing it is inconveniënt for you. 

Thailand has total different culture.

Gathering, on your "holiday" , where you must go, not getting paid anything.

You even pay your own travelling costs. And of course appear in special white uniform.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Depends on what Thai you are.

A government worker in many occasions dont have day off.

Government decide their workers have to go to ceremonies or other activities. No day free at all.

Like planting mangrove trees or ceremonies about remembering/honoring kings or attend a public open wide burning of drugs !

It is also government workers rarely get paid for overtime working. Yes, they do !

Married couples in government, they can be split up, wife working then in north and man working in south of Thailand.

Not really being compensated for this. Or by the "free" days? Rare, as they have to do other things for government.

Common Thai, could be the same, as "free day" means people go out shop and eat in restaurants, so no free day there.

Work, generating income on that special day. They get compensated? Probably not. Working 6 days a week for 12 hours, for low money.

So Bob, get your things right if you want to complain. Who are you to say, days have to be limited?

Yes departments close, but mostly it is NOT a happy day off for Thai officers. You only thing it is inconveniënt for you. 

Thailand has total different culture.

Gathering, on your "holiday" , where you must go, not getting paid anything.

You even pay your own travelling costs. And of course appear in special white uniform.

You are Thai.

for sure.

100%.

either that or you are blind drunk judging by what you just posted!

bob.

Edited by bob smith

28 minutes ago, bob smith said:

You are Thai.

for sure.

100%.

either that or you are blind drunk judging by what you just posted!

bob.

Both of your conclusions are wrong, but my comment is right. 

I know it from first hand, Thai officers. Have been flabbergasted quite some times, hearing Thai government ways.

Another fact Thai officers are moved at least every 4 years. Preventing long time corruption?

You have just to work quicker on your schemes.

So you could be working in Isaan and then be transferred to Yala.

You have to figure it out by yourself how to get there with your stuff. And also have to find a new place to live, yourself !

So dont buy too much and live minimal. And also there goes your real holidays .

I thought 20 holidays in a year and when getting older some more. MUST be 0 at end of year, otherwise gone.

In "my" country, you could transfer max 5 days, or more but then with a very good reason. 

But ok going to doctor also cost you that day. It is not excluded. Also if you have to assist your mom or dad to a big hospital.

It is Thailand, less or no transportation and you as officer, has car, which you "could afford", to do so.

When close by, but you cant when being far away from family.

Mostly by connecting to your new station, you could get to know which place to live, what would be available. 

And as I said, you have wife, kids? YOU, think about it yourself for also moving them or leaving them behind.

Even worse when you met a college and you are married.

So in a lifetime working (lets say 40 years) you move around a lot with or without out family.

There are days, actions and then you need to wear a special kind of color clothes. At least the top.

Ridiculous actions, but you have to find it and buy it, with own money, no restitution.

And  of course MUST wear it on that day. Dont forget as then you are shamed.

Monday, is a must uniform day.

Heard a lot of things and I wouldnt be an officer in Thai government, but its a job and pays bills. It is up to you.

It comes with a lot of crab. Youngsters do leave the job, for that crab.

One of the most amazing thing, I thought, would be the wide open burning of chemical/natural drugs and those officers standing around it!

Sort of a victory dance. And then smoke is going to,,,? Amazing.

Chemical substances normally are burnt with higher temperature to really crack it down to CO2 and water.

And then still the smoke is washed out. 

In the US, our plants got 11 holidays a year, and worked five-days a week, so 249 days a year straight-time. 

In Thailand, our plants got 17 holidays a year, and worked six-days a week, so 295 days a year straight-time. 

Yes there are many "Holidays" here and some can come as a surprise or interfere with arrangements you might make. Songkran often clashes wit Easter in the west and you can get a run of Bank Holidays that mean not only the banks are closed here but followed by or preceded by western banks being closed and other "official offices" like immigration departments. Sometimes the "dry days" on Buddhist celebrations can also catch people out too when booking a holiday. I'm not sure all the holidays are a good idea for the Thai economy and I know workers don't get double time payments for doing a shift on what would be a holiday either. As Bernard used to say "TIT".

9 hours ago, xtrnuno41 said:

Working 6 days a week for 12 hours, for low money.

By law they would/should be getting 4hrs paid overtime in that 12hr day.

7 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

In the US, our plants got 11 holidays a year, and worked five-days a week, so 249 days a year straight-time. 

In Thailand, our plants got 17 holidays a year, and worked six-days a week, so 295 days a year straight-time. 

You are going to confuse them with the math... 555...  List of countries by number of public holidays - Wikipedia

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

All Public servants.

And most everyone working for a legitimate company. 

If a Thai works for a company that does not pay overtime, unless they are management, they can go to the labor department and the labor department will get them their money. 

My friend told me yesterday that he finds it hard to keep up with all the Public Holidays, and I tend to agree with him, his car tax and insurance ran out on Saturday so he was going on Friday, but because of the Bullocks, he is now going on Monday, having to drive with no road tax or insurance. 

Just saying.

• Like 1