Gasping For Air: Thai Passengers React to Engine Mishap

webfact

28 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Absolutely, the 777 is a fantastic aircraft, especially with those Rolls Royce engines. It's truly captivating to be on board and listen to them roar down the runway.
The Boeing 737 MAX is the problamitic one. 

777 also very quiet in flight with great seats and leg room. Always flew Singapore Airlines. Very nice flights aboard the magnificent 777.

• Love It 1

39 minutes ago, Kaopad999 said:

Absolutely, the 777 is a fantastic aircraft, especially with those Rolls Royce engines. It's truly captivating to be on board and listen to them roar down the runway.
The Boeing 737 MAX is the problamitic one. 

The problem is that the 737 is a very old design aircraft and Boeing maybe should have move away from it, sometime ago.

There have been 181, Boeing 737 hull-losses, including 5 hijackings/bombings/missile attacks and 7 ground accidents. That may sound high but remember that over 10,000 Boeing 737's have been built since 1967.

The 737 Max has been involved in 3 incidents.

Max 8 crashes in 2018 & 2019, which 181 & 157 lives were lost.

Max 9 door incident 2024.

http://www.b737.org.uk/accident_reports.htm

IMG_2656.jpeg

13 hours ago, webfact said:

Nok Air offered to change planes and provided a donut and a bottle of water as compensation.

That's harsh, even for a no-frills airline. Their 737s seem to be getting somewhat aged.

13 hours ago, flyingtlger said:

provided a donut and a bottle of water as compensation

Better than a kick in the derriere as we say in our circles...

Two weeks ago I experienced a 26 hour delay in DFW including 9 hours in various queues to get replacement tickets. In total, I received 26 e-mails saying that planes were delayed and then cancelled at short notice. There was nothing given in compensation as the lovely people from American Airlines said it was due to abnormal weather conditions. I have no reply from my complaint and will not have the extra money spent on food and drink.

Last week, the lovely people at British Airways "mislaid" my suitcase between LHR and GLA for 37 hours. It is nearly impossible to complain to BA, but I received a reply when I posted about the incident on social media. The answer was that I should be grateful to get the suitcase back and that was the end of the story for BA.

Guess that I will not be using the One World Alliance anytime in the future. Customer Service with them is NIL.

9 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Planes have 3 engines 2 of which can fail and the plane can still fly but yes if both main engines fail your time is more than likely up depending where it happens. They do have pretty good glide time so if a landing is possible so is survival.

3 engines?

The worst airline I have used. They cancelled and rescheduled 4 of my flights in one month. The last one they cancelled one hour before the flight by txt message. Even the ground crew didn't know it had been cancelled until I asked them what they are going to do about it. They just shrugged their shoulders. I wouldn't fly them even if it was free

4 minutes ago, sambum said:

3 engines?

One under each wing and a small jet engine in the tail called the auxiliary power unit APU. Have a look at posts above. Already explained.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

One under each wing and a small jet engine in the tail called the auxiliary power unit APU. Have a look at posts above. Already explained.

"Already explained"

Thank you for that!

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Has Songkhla got an airport?

I've always had to fly from Bangkok to HatYai, then drive to Songkhla. 

They mean Songkhla the Province. not the City

Songkhla is served by Hat Yai International Airport in Khlong Hoi Khong District.

21 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Here are the details of Nok’s current fleet.

IMG_2655.jpeg

Age and look at the history who would want a older plane from Ryanair?

22 hours ago, hotchilli said:
23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

You are assuming that a 'normal' engine start-up on push back was ever done.

You are also assuming that the APU "could" be started.

But it's also highly likely that the whole chain of events has been misinterpreted and misreported by local media. I reckon that's a safe assumption.

Normal engine start-up on push back wasn't achieved, hence the tech problem, it was eventually pulled back to the gate after the Captain tried to re-start but failed.
If the APU could not be started the aircraft would be grounded anyway.

And grounding is precisely what happened.

Strewth!... we're good, eh?

2 hours ago, arick said:

Age and look at the history who would want a older plane from Ryanair?

About average for the region.

Nok Air fleet has an average age of 10 years, slightly older than Thai Airways, but younger than Thai Air Asia and a lot younger than Bangkok Airways.

Only 1 plane was in service with Ryanair previously and that was over 10 years ago. People may not like Ryanair, but their safety record is impressive.

Ryanair has never had  a fatal crash In its 37 years of operations and only 13 reported incidents, the last being in 2019, which includes some minor taxiway collisions with other planes.

AirlineRatings.com regularly reviews the safety of the world's airline companies and Ryanair has a safety rating of 7 out of 7. Nok Air has a rating of 5 out of 7.

https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/nok-air/

https://www.airlineratings.com/ratings/ryanair/

IMG_2658.jpeg