Where can I find a Fax machine?

giddyup

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

My bank in Australia has asked me to verify my Thai address for the issuing of a new credit card, and Fax the details to them. Do people still use Faxes? I might add the first of the three letters I received today was dated 8th February, so that took 3 months to get here! 

The main question is why?, are they just old school or are they asking for a fax because a proper fax machine/service has a verifiable fax number.

As suggested you could use a fax app and see what happens, if rejected best to try and find a local outfit with a fax service, a legal office may be a good start.

I think the online fax services that provide a local number are subscription, a bit over the top for a one off.

6 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The main question is why?, are they just old school or are they asking for a fax because a proper fax machine/service has a verifiable fax number.

As suggested you could use a fax app and see what happens, if rejected best to try and find a local outfit with a fax service, a legal office may be a good start.

I think the online fax services that provide a local number are subscription, a bit over the top for a one off.

Its usually a antiquated regulatory requirement as 'digital signatures' on a PDF are not recognised in that jurisdiction.... 

1 hour ago, Pattaya57 said:

Do you not have the bank phone app? My Westpac account seems pretty easy to change address and order new (Debit) card. It also has a chat function where you can ask for their email instead of fax?

Screenshot_20240508_145739_Gallery.jpg

The thing is my address is still the same after 14 years. They send mail here and new Visa cards.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I've had exactly the same issue in the past with bank (HSBC Singapore)..  even worse, I was in a remote location with 100% zero chance of finding a fax. 

The solution was to download an App on my iPad and 'spoof' send a fax from that App... 

(I think the App was called iFax)

Thanks, I downloaded the App so will give it a try.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)

I work in London, though WFH majority of time since lockdown. I send and receive faxes all the time on behalf of my employer, but there're no physical fax machines in the office or my home.  

Fax is now a hybrid of digital and analogue technology.  I can send and receive faxes to/from a traditional fax machine with no issue. Alternatively, I can send and receive faxes to/from a digital service.

There's a misconception these days that any mention of a fax means a dusty old machine spitting out A4 paper all day. All I see is an on screen pdf.

Edited by torturedsole

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Its usually a antiquated regulatory requirement as 'digital signatures' on a PDF are not recognised in that jurisdiction.... 

What would digital signatures and PDF have to do with facsimile and source verification.

• Confused 1

10 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, I downloaded the App so will give it a try.

No, you have to subscribe and pay first.

7 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

I recall the first fax service provided after the OP offered the first three pages free. 

You only get free after you sign up for a plan, give credit card details etc. I think there is no such thing as a "free" fax.

1 hour ago, Photoguy21 said:

Fax machines are very old school, no one really uses them now. A scanned copy of your document(s) should be sufficient. There again if Australia are still in the realm of fax machines who knows. They wont ask for a fax once they come out of the stone age.

It's possible the bank mentions fax when an elderly person comes on the phone, you know they are more familiar with that. In reality that fax will end up discarded somewhere, probably binned

• Like 1

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

It's possible the bank mentions fax when an elderly person comes on the phone, you know they are more familiar with that. In reality that fax will end up discarded somewhere, probably binned

Never spoke, only received a letter.

11 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Is it the CBA ? An Australian I know fumes over how bad he says they are .

No, ANZ who are also a nightmare to deal with.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You only get free after you sign up for a plan, give credit card details etc. I think there is no such thing as a "free" fax.

So you'll have to pay a small fee either way whether using a digital service or going to the local internet cafe.  

What is it that you're actually looking for?  A completely free service?

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

So you'll have to pay a small fee either way whether using a digital service or going to the local internet cafe.  

What is it that you're actually looking for?  A completely free service?

No, but I'm not about to give credit card details to some company that can start charging monthly fees whether I use the service or not. I see too many people been scammed in the reviews. I asked if anyone knew of a LOCAL place where I can pay for them to send a fax for me.

Edited by giddyup

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No, ANZ who are also a nightmare to deal with.

So I'm also ANZ. If you're waiting months to get a letter asking you to fax stuff then I assume you're not on internet banking and don't have the anz bank app?

If you do have internet banking, I'm sure you can send the docs they need by the anz secure email they mention below

Write to us

Online enquiries about your ANZ account

If you need to contact us regarding your ANZ accounts, please login to Internet Banking and send a message via SecureMail. If you need to, please register here.

Edited by Pattaya57

No, but I'm not about to give credit card details to some company that can start charging monthly fees whether I use the service or not. I see too many people been scammed in the reviews. I asked if anyone knew of a LOCAL place where I can pay for them to send a fax for me.

Western Union agents used to offer fax services.

ANZ boasts a secure messaging app.

6 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

So I'm also ANZ. If you're waiting months to get a letter asking you to fax stuff then I assume you're not on internet banking and don't have the anz bank app?

If you do have internet banking, I'm sure you can send the docs they need by the anz secure email they mention below

Write to us

Online enquiries about your ANZ account

If you need to contact us regarding your ANZ accounts, please login to Internet Banking and send a message via SecureMail. If you need to, please register here.

I already have the ANZ app but that doesn't allow you to send a completed form.

5 minutes ago, 0ffshore360 said:

Western Union agents used to offer fax services.

ANZ boasts a secure messaging app.

You can't send a letter or a completed form via secure mail. Have been using the ANZ app for 14 years.

I already have the ANZ app but that doesn't allow you to send a completed form.

But you should be able to live chat on the app and ask for an email address to send form to instead of fax?

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Pattaya57 said:

But you should be able to live chat on the app and ask for an email address to send form to instead of fax?

AFAIK there is no live chat on the app.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

AFAIK there is no live chat on the app.

Yeah I just checked. You can message them though (9am - 5pm business days). I tried to take a screen shot but wouldn't let me.

4 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

Yeah I just checked. You can message them though (9am - 5pm business days). I tried to take a screen shot but wouldn't let me.

I have already messaged them, but their response times can be slow. No urgency, but I can always ring Visa and see if they have an email.

Why do you need a facsimile machine, per se?

Do you just like looking at it?

Instead, have you thought about using fax-software, instead, installed on your computer?

OH. I get it.  You might also need a scanner which you might not have.

But, in this case, if you do not require super-great quality of your transmitted faxes, then why not just use your phone to photo documents, and then send them using the cheap/free fax software on you phone.

Of course, you will need a modem, I guess, which will connect to your PC.

I have been using fax machines since 1980.

I tried to google the same fax machine I once used, about 44 years ago...but....

There are no images available on Google Search (and this is not surprising because, these days, Google Search has become nothing more than a "Shopping Site", and much of what once was is no longer available, simply because history is no longer for sale.)

The fax machine I first used was only available from the telecom company in Taiwan, in 1980.  Later, our company bought a fax machine, which was a floor-standing model.  Strange that Google Search is now becoming useless to human non-shoppers.....

1 hour ago, sandyf said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

What would digital signatures and PDF have to do with facsimile and source verification.

Ai-yaaa....  If I have to explain it to you then I'm not sure you'd get it.

Modern 'entities / establishments' accept a 'digital signature' as 'source verification, for example, a digitally Signature on a PDF (that has embedded code).

Alliteratively, modern 'entities / establishments' allow for form filling online and you to 'digitally sign' with a 'mouse signature' and others 'simply by typing your name in the box'... where the signature is.

Those 'entities / establishments' that have not updated their regulatory requirements may often require either a 'letter with a hand written signature' OR... a 'Fax'... as they do not accept scanned documents.

53 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Strange OP, to be honest. The answer has been provided in various forms but you're still not happy.

Why didn't you mention your reluctance in the OP.  There's no helping some people.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Strange OP, to be honest. The answer has been provided in various forms but you're still not happy.

Why didn't you mention your reluctance in the OP.  There's no helping some people.

I am not going to sign up to possibly some scam site that starts billing me every month for sending one fax. If that's reluctance, tough titty.

Edited by giddyup