Unprecedented: Oceans' Record Heat Streak Surges to 13 Months

image.png

The world's oceans are undergoing an unprecedented streak of warmth, with April marking the 13th consecutive month of record-high sea surface temperatures, according to the Copernicus Climate Change Service. This milestone highlights a concerning trend in oceanic heating that has far-reaching implications for global climate patterns.

While the focus of climate change discussions often revolves around rising air temperatures, the oceans play a crucial role in absorbing and storing excess heat from greenhouse gas emissions. The ongoing surge in oceanic temperatures underscores the profound impact of climate change on Earth's marine environments.

The implications of this prolonged heat streak are significant. Warmer ocean waters provide more energy to fuel storm systems, leading to increased precipitation over land. This can exacerbate extreme weather events, including hurricanes, typhoons, and heavy rainfall, with potentially devastating consequences for coastal communities and ecosystems.

Although the current spike in ocean temperatures coincides with an El Niño event in the tropical Pacific, the extent and duration of the heat exceed typical fluctuations associated with natural climate cycles. This suggests that human-induced factors, such as greenhouse gas emissions, are driving the sustained warming trend in the world's oceans.

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, emphasized the role of increasing greenhouse gas concentrations in driving global temperature rise. He cautioned that while temperature variations linked to natural cycles like El Niño may fluctuate, the long-term accumulation of heat in the ocean and atmosphere poses a persistent threat to the planet's climate stability.

The record-breaking warmth observed across all ocean basins underscores the urgency of addressing climate change through coordinated international efforts. As temperatures continue to climb, the need for proactive measures to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to the changing climate becomes increasingly apparent.

2024-05-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

The world's climate is rapidly changing now .

Warmer ocean temperatures have huge implications on the global ecosystem .

Humans will need to adapt , them ' point of no return ' has passed .

Will the human race adapt in time ?

Some certainly not .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Social Media said:

image.png

The world's oceans are undergoing an unprecedented streak of warmth, with April marking the 13th consecutive month of record-high sea surface temperatures, according to the Copernicus Climate Change Service. This milestone highlights a concerning trend in oceanic heating that has far-reaching implications for global climate patterns.

While the focus of climate change discussions often revolves around rising air temperatures, the oceans play a crucial role in absorbing and storing excess heat from greenhouse gas emissions. The ongoing surge in oceanic temperatures underscores the profound impact of climate change on Earth's marine environments.

The implications of this prolonged heat streak are significant. Warmer ocean waters provide more energy to fuel storm systems, leading to increased precipitation over land. This can exacerbate extreme weather events, including hurricanes, typhoons, and heavy rainfall, with potentially devastating consequences for coastal communities and ecosystems.

Although the current spike in ocean temperatures coincides with an El Niño event in the tropical Pacific, the extent and duration of the heat exceed typical fluctuations associated with natural climate cycles. This suggests that human-induced factors, such as greenhouse gas emissions, are driving the sustained warming trend in the world's oceans.

Carlo Buontempo, director of the Copernicus Climate Change Service, emphasized the role of increasing greenhouse gas concentrations in driving global temperature rise. He cautioned that while temperature variations linked to natural cycles like El Niño may fluctuate, the long-term accumulation of heat in the ocean and atmosphere poses a persistent threat to the planet's climate stability.

The record-breaking warmth observed across all ocean basins underscores the urgency of addressing climate change through coordinated international efforts. As temperatures continue to climb, the need for proactive measures to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to the changing climate becomes increasingly apparent.

2024-05-09

news-logo-btm.jpg

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

It never happened before, but we have seahorses in the North Sea. Because of extremely warm water.🙏

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Social Media said:

underscores the urgency of addressing climate change through coordinated international efforts.

What is this? A a confession of conspiracy to incite climate hysterics? 

• Confused 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Large corporations have ignored global climate change for profits. Many sneer at Greta Thurnberg's protests. But she is right. Old people have destroyed the future of the young.

yep

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Purdey said:

Many sneer at Greta Thurnberg's protests. But she is right. Old people have destroyed the future of the young.

They should have used condoms. Every person never born is reducing climate change. They really should have. So there would be now no destroyed future and no Gretta to complain about it. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Love It 1

A bit warmer and we'll be able to catch our fish ready cooked straight from the sea. Isn't mankind marvellous? Next up we've got some great US ideas about spraying pollutants into the atmosphere to cut down the sun's rays.....what could possibly go wrong? Those scientists know absolutely everything, don't they? I'm sure glad they are alive at the same time as me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/9/2024 at 8:34 AM, Social Media said:

Of course, it's us naughty humans that are to blame. :whistling:

Sooooo, even if it is all down to us, a/ what are they going to do about it, b/ will whatever they do about it actually work, c/ what do they want to change it to?

Given that ( IMO ) we can't do anything about it, let's do what is necessary to adapt to it, and that doesn't include giving countries that behave badly lots of money. If a country that behaves badly is going to suffer because of their own actions, then, IMO, they can sort their own problems out.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Of course, it's us naughty humans that are to blame. :whistling:

Sooooo, even if it is all down to us, a/ what are they going to do about it, b/ will whatever they do about it actually work, c/ what do they want to change it to?

Given that ( IMO ) we can't do anything about it, let's do what is necessary to adapt to it, and that doesn't include giving countries that behave badly lots of money. If a country that behaves badly is going to suffer because of their own actions, then, IMO, they can sort their own problems out.

Raise and add more taxes, while they think about it, realizing of course, they can't do a damn thing.  But now have more tax revenue for the general fund to waste, and put in their pockets.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Raise and add more taxes, while they think about it, realizing of course, they can't do a damn thing.  But now have more tax revenue for the general fund to waste, and put in their pockets.

Another Pavlovian response from a climate change denialist.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Another Pavlovian response from a climate change denialist.

Please let us all know, what they can do, IF, MMCC is true ?   

That they've known or suspected for decades, but haven't done a damn thing yet to affect it, except raise taxes.

Raising taxes isn't stopping Climate Change. 

FACT: ... It's the weather, you can't change it.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/893408302493780

Edited by KhunLA

8 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Raising taxes isn't stopping Climate Change. 

Do you prefer raising taxes to pay for the damage from Climate Change? It's cheaper to stop the warming than paying for the damages from Climate Change.

Are you for raising even more taxes?

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Or raise taxes to pay for fixing damages caused by Climate Change.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/9/2024 at 7:17 AM, Stargeezr said:

Oh No, the world is heating itself up again. This has happened in the past as well.

Goodle it if you want.

It's always great when someone who knows nothing about climatology demonstrates their ignorance here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

54 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Do you prefer raising taxes to pay for the damage from Climate Change? It's cheaper to stop the warming than paying for the damages from Climate Change.

Are you for raising even more taxes?

I don't pay taxes, and all the taxes I've paid, I think I've just about got back.  Any I didn't, well ... I'll just tell myself they went to people that needed it.  Folks on (USA welfare) food stamp program, or HUD housing, which I also got back, since some properties I owned were Section 8'd.

My way of mentally not supporting wars, or the non existent MMCC, or CC, that you can't do anything about.  CC damage, whatever, believe what you want, but isn't damaging anything IMHO

You want to blame coral bleaching on CC, fine, ignore the pollution that is the cause ... IMHO

I would like to see a list of programs you taxes should go to, and you get to pick which & where they go, at tax time.

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

I don't pay taxes, and all the taxes I've paid, I think I've just about got back.  Any I didn't, well ... I'll just tell myself they went to people that needed it.  Folks on (USA welfare) food stamp program, or HUD housing, which I also got back, since some properties I owned were Section 8'd.

My way of mentally not supporting wars, or the non existent MMCC, or CC, that you can't do anything about.  CC damage, whatever, believe what you want, but isn't damaging anything IMHO

You want to blame coral bleaching on CC, fine, ignore the pollution that is the cause ... IMHO

I would like to see a list of programs you taxes should go to, and you get to pick which & where they go, at tax time.

Liicense to fell falsehoods = IMHO

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)

All you CC & MMCC believing folks out there got solar at the house yet ?

Still driving those fossil fuel air polluting ICEV.  Spilling that crap on land and sea to get to the refineries to pollute more air and land, then transporting it and polluting every where it goes.

Stop talking, start doing .. what do they say, you're either part of the solution, or the problem.

Which are you ?

Edited by KhunLA
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

When infrastructure and homes are damaged by storms and floods, who pays for the repair?

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Still driving those fossil fuel air polluting ICEV.  Spilling that crap on land and sea to get to the refineries to pollute more air and land, then transporting it and polluting every where it goes.

Stop talking, start doing .. what do they say, you're either part of the solution, or the problem.

Which are you ?

I am busy installing solar panels in my condo. Not easy.

My next project is to have solar installed for the entire building's common areas.

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Which are you ?

Maybe you should publish in the Journal of Making It Personal

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

When infrastructure and homes are damaged by storms and floods, who pays for the repair?

That's not climate CC, that historical & damn near predictable weather.   Insurance companies, once, then think about moving.  

Or you could have planned and built it better the first time. 

The weather is why I don't live in the USA, and picked TH.  USA, west coast, quakes & rain, no thanks, tornado alley, no thanks, FL & lower east coast or gulf, hurricanes, no thanks.   Cold A$$ Canadian winds, hell no.

Doesn't leave much, the Appalachians, nah, too far from coast.   Been there, done that, passed on the t-shirt.

TH, no major quakes, only 1 typhoon made it around, once in century tsunami.   Feel pretty safe here, along with one of the few countries that can feed itself.

Weather, CC, MMCC ... doesn't concern me, and can't do anything about it anyway.

Build on high ground ... check

No hills or streams near house ... check

Away from high tide ... check

Close to surf for food and or water if needed ... check

Greenhouse, garden ... check

Store rain water ... check

Solar ... check

EVs ... check

Prepped for the apocalypses ... :cheesy:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1