Storage tank fire at Map Ta Phut

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Khaosod is reporting that a 3rd pyrolysis gasoline storage tank has exploded.

GNH_83PbIAAbaqY?format=jpg&name=small

Sorry, I have seen no evidence from videos, reports and live cams, that the fire has spread beyond the original tank.

The tank did split earlier, and the fire spread into the bund area, which is what witnesses maybe describing.

I will not say the report is wrong yet, but will look for updated confirmation.

The video below from the responders, appear to show a temporary withdraw as the tanks split and overflowed.

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

17.00 live cam footage, shows the fire has been contained, but foam still being applied to prevent re-ignition. 

Original tank does not appear to have split, but roof is missing, so maybe a ‘boil over’ occurred.

Neighbouring tank is blackened, but seems structurally complete, so unclear if it was involved in fire or not.

IMG_2691.jpeg

IMG_2693.png

Edited by Georgealbert

8 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I see real estate prices dropping in that area. 

You are aware that this is an industrial estate?

“Map Ta Phut has five industrial estates, a deep-sea port, over 150 factories, including petrochemical plants, oil refineries, coal-fired power station, and iron and steel facilities. The zone occupies 166 km2. The area contains around 30 agricultural and residential communities with more than 49,000 residents.”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Georgealbert said:

You are aware that this is an industrial estate?

“Map Ta Phut has five industrial estates, a deep-sea port, over 150 factories, including petrochemical plants, oil refineries, coal-fired power station, and iron and steel facilities. The zone occupies 166 km2. The area contains around 30 agricultural and residential communities with more than 49,000 residents.”

Very aware. I have several facilities located within these industrial estates.

They are privately owned, and I also know many of the owners.

• Haha 2

This seems to be a well executed response, in general, by many different agencies, local fire services, factory fire services and volunteer rescue teams., DDPM, medical teams, local and national government departments.

i will be interesting to see how robust the site emergency response plans were, what caused the initial explosion, what caused the death and injuries.

There will need to be an investigation as to what led to the re-ignition after the fire was first first contained at about 12.50, was this a lack of available foam, decision by incident commander to stop, or there fire continued to burn under the fixed roof.

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2694.jpeg

IMG_2695.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Georgealbert said:

Sorry, I have seen no evidence from videos, reports and live cams, that the fire has spread beyond the original tank.

The tank did split earlier, and the fire spread into the bund area, which is what witnesses maybe describing.

I will not say the report is wrong yet, but will look for updated confirmation.

The Bangkok Post (which I am unable to quote from due to copyright reasons) is also reporting that 3 tanks were on fire.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Very aware. I have several facilities located within these industrial estates.

They are privately owned, and I also know many of the owners.

Really, so what estate prices do you think will go down? Do you think Thailand only has industrial accidents? How has this affected any other factory, other than the workers had a half day off work.

Do you really think you and your friends are going to get discount, in the future, because of this tank fire.

Map Ta Phut has been there for 35 years, this is not the first incident and I am sure will not be the last, plus the industrial areas are only going to expand with EEC development.

10 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

The Bangkok Post (which I am unable to quote from due to copyright reasons) is also reporting that 3 tanks were on fire.

I read that also, but I still see no evidence that the fuel inside any other tank was burning.

Other tanks are showing signs of fire and heat damage externally blackened, so this is fire/heat damage, but I see none of the responding agencies saying that fuel was burning in another tank.

So maybe it is something lost in terminology of, what reporters and responders term as on fire.

I will be happy to correct myself if I see the company or Rayong Government, issue a statement to support the news sites.

17 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

The Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin writing on his X account this afternoon, said that a war room had been set up to coordinate the response to the disaster.

https://twitter.com/Thavisin/status/1788495960747999487

Yes, it was reported

“That after being informed of the incident The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Energy has ordered the establishment of a war room, with the Department of Energy Business and Energy of Rayong Province coordinating relevant agencies in the area to closely monitor the situation. Including preparing for the operation of the LNG Terminal in Map Ta Phut to be able to operate normally and for EGAT to prepare reserve fuel in case of emergencies.”

War room, should really say crisis management centre/Team, which is what the site emergency response plans will refer to.

• Like 1

Statement issued by DDPM

“Today (9 May 2024) the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation received a report that at 10:37 a.m. there was a fire at a TK-1801 Pyrolysis Gasoline raw material storage tank of Map Ta Phut Tank Terminal Company. Null Co., Ltd. in the area of Map Ta Phut Industrial Port, Map Ta Phut Subdistrict, Mueang Rayong District, Rayong Province, which is the Rayong Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office.

Collaborated with emergency medical services Local administrative organizations, volunteers, Civil Defense Volunteers , NPC Response Center, and teams from the SCG Group , to carry out fire control and extinguishing operations. Including providing assistance to the injured.

Initially, four people were injured and 1 death was reported. The injured persons was taken to Chaloem Phrakiat Hospital. Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, Rayong.

Rayong Province established an emergency response command center at Map Ta Phut Municipality. with Mr. Traiphop Wongtrairat, Governor of Rayong Province As incident commander and setting up an evacuation center at the auditorium of Rayong City Hall.

For fire extinguishing operations Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation By the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Center, District 17, Chanthaburi and the Rayong Provincial Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office. Supporting 1 12,000 liter water truck, 1 drinking water production vehicle, 1 electric lighting vehicle, 1 fire extinguishing vehicle with remote control system (LUF 60), 1 water tower 35 meters.

Joining to supporting 6 fire trucks, 8 foam trucks, 2 water trucks, and 10,000 liters of foam solution.”

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Jai Dee said:

From the press conference, it seems that 2 tanks shared a common bund.

Both tanks were 18 metres high and 30 metres in diameter with a capacity of 2,500 cubic metres, but reported to contain different substances. 

Both tanks have been damaged by the fire, but is still not clear if the second tank was already empty, was emptied during the fire or the contents were burnt. The picture below shows that second tank and it seems structural intact, with the fire cooling pipe system up the walls of the tank, still in use.

The picture also shows that the fuel is still hot under the foam, as flames can be seen, where the valves break down the foam blanket.

IMG_2699.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

Really, so what estate prices do you think will go down?

It was a throwaway comment about people living in the surrounding area.

One of our businesses shares a facility with PTTOR where they store liquified gas. We've been trying to relocate for a while now. This one not in an industrial estate though. 

For anyone who believes this only happens in Thailand, here is a current industrial fire in Staffordshire, Uk.

Nobody believes that, but there has been three major industrial fires in Thailand in less than a month, not to mention the ammonia leak, building collapse in Bangkok, etc. 

Not bad going. 

Edited by Mr Meeseeks

DDPM update at 20.00

“Mr. Chaiwat Junthirapong, Director-General of the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DPWH), received a summary of the situation along with Mr. Kanchai Thepworachai, Deputy Governor of Rayong Province, Mr. Apiwat Laohawat, Director of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Center District 17, Chanthaburi, Mr. Atthaya Nuanuthai, Head of the office. Prevent and alleviate disasters in Rayong Province Mayor of Map Ta Phut Municipality, plus head of the agencies Including the operations team from NPC Emergency Control Centre and SCG affiliates. 

The current fire situation, officials confirmed that they were able to control the fire and there has been no fire since 17.00. Teams are still trying to reduce the temperature of the tank, and standby personnel will remain at the scene of the incident to closely monitor the situation.

All the evacuees, have now been allowed to return to the area.

IMG_2700.jpeg

From the press conference, it seems that 2 tanks shared a common bund.

Both tanks were 18 metres high and 30 metres in diameter with a capacity of 2,500 cubic metres, but reported to contain different substances. 

Both tanks have been damaged by the fire, but is still not clear if the second tank was already empty, was emptied during the fire or the contents were burnt. The picture below shows that second tank and it seems structural intact, with the fire cooling pipe system up the walls of the tank, still in use.

The picture also shows that the fuel is still hot under the foam, as flames can be seen, where the valves break down the foam blanket.

IMG_2699.jpeg

I think you mean 12,700 meters cubed....   🙂  each tank.  Yes both are gone.

Girlfriend was sitting 1440m South of the initial blast, first photo to me at 10:39am.  Her and entire company evacuated by boat.

RIP to whoever was there and best recoveries to those who risked all to contain this.  From 9.3km away as the crow flies, it was immense.  And the evacuation was absolute crap.  Notaone police officer out, huge traffic jams, 4 lane roads with 2 lanes completely jammed and opposites empty.  What if it was a 'real' one?

20240509_142530.jpg

6 hours ago, n8sail said:

I think you mean 12,700 meters cubed....   🙂  each tank.  Yes both are gone.

Girlfriend was sitting 1440m South of the initial blast, first photo to me at 10:39am.  Her and entire company evacuated by boat.

RIP to whoever was there and best recoveries to those who risked all to contain this.  From 9.3km away as the crow flies, it was immense.  And the evacuation was absolute crap.  Notaone police officer out, huge traffic jams, 4 lane roads with 2 lanes completely jammed and opposites empty.  What if it was a 'real' one?

20240509_142530.jpg

Yes the maths, I quoted was wrong. I should have checked it, but just repeated the figures stated at the press conference.

The same press conference also said “As for the initial cause, this fire happened during the closure for maintenance on the tank. Four employees went up to measure the amount of C9+ when an explosion occurred. The force of the explosion caused all four to fall from the tank. causing injury and death.” The dead employee, nickname Paul, had attended, Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna Chiang Rai, before working for the company.

Evacuations are always going to be chaos. The problem here was that, I believe, the evacuation distances were set too large. This substance is not highly toxic, and the 2 biggest dangers were smoke (no toxic gas cloud), which was rising, and explosion risk, which was only going to happen if the fire had spread to the gas storage.

There is never going to enough responders to secure evacuation routes, and impossible to even alert people to evacuate, this was done here by news broadcasts and police cars, using sirens and loud hailers. Priority in evacuations, has to be to start at the incident point and work outwards from there. Remove more those most at risk first, not just a general full scale evacuation of everyone within 10km, which will cause panic, congestion and the chaos you witnessed.

Yes the maths, I quoted was wrong. I should have checked it, but just repeated the figures stated at the press conference.

The same press conference also said “As for the initial cause, this fire happened during the closure for maintenance on the tank. Four employees went up to measure the amount of C9+ when an explosion occurred. The force of the explosion caused all four to fall from the tank. causing injury and death.” The dead employee, nickname Paul, had attended, Rajamangala University of Technology Lanna Chiang Rai, before working for the company.

Evacuations are always going to be chaos. The problem here was that, I believe, the evacuation distances were set too large. This substance is not highly toxic, and the 2 biggest dangers were smoke (no toxic gas cloud), which was rising, and explosion risk, which was only going to happen if the fire had spread to the gas storage.

There is never going to enough responders to secure evacuation routes, and impossible to even alert people to evacuate, this was done here by news broadcasts and police cars, using sirens and loud hailers. Priority in evacuations, has to be to start at the incident point and work outwards from there. Remove more those most at risk first, not just a general full scale evacuation of everyone within 10km, which will cause panic, congestion and the chaos you witnessed.

Interesting, I work well within 10km and dead downwind yesterday and we never heard anything about evacuation.  I only got into it as had to drive to pick up girlfriend after her boat evacuation since her car had to be left behind at her work.

Many thanks for all the updates yesterday 🙏 

Update late last night from the horse's mouth (girlfriend was on meetings and calls with officials all night.  They had to do a full shutdown from this, a huge deal) was 2nd tank appears to not have been compromised, as you suspected.  However, from pictures I was shown I would say unlikely they'll be able to use it again, but maybe possible with a good restoration.

This tank farm is actually owned by SCG.  The company quoted in official press releases is just a subsidiary of them.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, n8sail said:

Interesting, I work well within 10km and dead downwind yesterday and we never heard anything about evacuation.  I only got into it as had to drive to pick up girlfriend after her boat evacuation since her car had to be left behind at her work.

Many thanks for all the updates yesterday 🙏 

Update late last night from the horse's mouth (girlfriend was on meetings and calls with officials all night.  They had to do a full shutdown from this, a huge deal) was 2nd tank appears to not have been compromised, as you suspected.  However, from pictures I was shown I would say unlikely they'll be able to use it again, but maybe possible with a good restoration.

This tank farm is actually owned by SCG.  The company quoted in official press releases is just a subsidiary of them.

Thanks for that info.

The 10 km was what the command Centre initially stated  and then scaled back to 2.5 km, still not very practical.

The second tank, should be fairly easy to empty, then inspected, will be interesting to see if it reused.

The other problem is the clean up, the fuel under the foam blanket, and what remands in the original tank, is still flammable and a full decontamination of the area is needed.

Think the fire damage, full shut down, loss of stored products and delays from the clean up will be very costly.

Posted (edited)

Given the intensity of the fire yesterday, the walls of the burning tank look like they stood up fairly well, from this taken today.

Responders are still standing by at the tank and the foam blanket must still be in place, as you can see foam blowing in the wind.

IMG_2707.jpeg

Edited by Georgealbert
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Update report in Thai media;

“Ms. Pimpatra Wichaikul, Minister of Industry was undated on the progress of the fire at Map Ta Phut Tank Terminal Company Limited, after inspecting the area.

The situation has returned to normal, with the Industrial Estate Authority of Thailand (IEAT) and the company controlling the fire, but are still applying foam at times, to act as a coolant.

In terms of taking care of people in the surrounding area who were evacuated to the Takuan Community Office, Ao Pradu, Rayong Province, the site is coordinating with the National Health Security Office (NHSO) and Chulalongkorn University.Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, have a medical team to monitor their health.

Testing of water quality in communities surrounding the area is being done by the Map Ta Phut Industrial Estate Office (MPI), in 2 locations: Khlong Chak Mak and the company area. It was found that the water quality was within standard criteria. 

Air quality measurement at 3 points, including the Takuan Health Station checkpoint Nong Suea Kuek Station Checkpoint and Map Ta Phut Municipality Station checkpoint are all within normal limits.

Mr. Weris Amrapal, Governor of IEAT, said that IEAT will urgently investigate the cause of the incident, and the establish safety measures to prevent recurrence. which must be certified by an external agency that certifies safety (Third Party)”

IMG_2712.png

54 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Is this incident impacting the local immigration office (and access thereto) in any way?

Situation is back to normal now, so no impact.

Immigration was also outside the evacuation zone, yesterday.

• Thanks 1

A second tank explosion after the 2021 explosion, both incidents resulting in multiple casualties, very sad. It seems there is serious room for improvement on tank operational procedures and safety protocols covering these. Do note Pygas is extremely volatile, so tanks are very hazardous, especially when being emptied completely.